-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thorlo mountaineering. They are expensive because they are worth it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good poly liners under the old heavy Cabelas Norweigan wool socks within 1000 gram thinsulate/Gore Tex boots. Everything else I wear is also wool.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Smart wool or Thorlo, depending upon which boot I have on. I did give up on the liners several years ago. In many, many years of hunting, never had a blister.

I doubt that cotton socks have contributed to the deaths of many people, but jeans, cotton shirts, and coats, have contributed to the deaths of many.

Last edited by Elkmen; 01/20/13.
B
BrentD Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by 444Matt
cotton kills. maybe you can get away witg it but i wont try it.

Really?
[Linked Image]

That Dall looks pretty killed. 444Matt was right!

I'm sticking with wool socks though. I wear them in the summer too.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I couldn't recommend cotton attire for anything outdoors, other than wiping your azz, with a straight face...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by 444Matt
cotton kills. maybe you can get away witg it but i wont try it.

Really?
[Linked Image]

That Dall looks pretty killed. 444Matt was right!

I'm sticking with wool socks though. I wear them in the summer too.

Yeah, but cotton didn't kill him, a 117 gr Sierra GameKing from my .257 Ackley did. grin

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does a sheep wear wool or cotton socks? laugh

I used to wear cotton socks hunting until I discovered how well med weight merino wool socks work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having nothing to do with temps, I dislike combining cotton socks with hiking boots. If I'm hiking a bunch, I like a sock combination that pulls moisture away from my feet keeping them dry. When I've worn cotton, they hold moisture at my feet and increase risk of blisters. A good fitting liner combined with a medium boot sock works for me. I tend to like Smartwool.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/23/13.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
A
My feet have fallen arches, which probably led to pronation. I am also pledged with large bunions. I can take these shoes out of the box and start hiking with no worries. They really are the only shoes I have in my house. From the slippers through the sandles, to the sneakers and finishing with the leather boot. Also, Orthofeet stands behind their product 100%.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MattMan
I couldn't recommend cotton attire for anything outdoors, other than wiping your azz, with a straight face...

"Anything outdoors? I'd have to disagree. Especially if it's something like pheasant hunting or pronghorn hunting on the plains when it's warm and I 'll be out for a half day, not too far from the truck.

"Anything outdoors" is not a survival situation.

As far as which socks to wear "elk hunting," that covers a lot of different situations from bowhunting in early september in a t-shirt to late-season hunts below zero. What I use (including boots) depends 100% on the weather and how much walking and climbing I'll do.

I used to use liners but found I usually don't need them any more. When I do use liners they're Injinji toe socks, they make wool and synthetic. I usually just use smartwools, thin for early seasons and thick for later seasons. Darn Toughs are good too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mostly Costco merino wool socks. Old pair of Vasque hikers. Kept my feet warm on the last winter hunt (deer)I did in AZ, not below zero but close in the AM. My few elk hunts, all in AZ, have been the same. Nothing really frigid. The Costco socks work well enough for me and my feet that run hot most of the time. And I sure like the price.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I use the Salomon knee high compression 3v lightweight ski socks w/ my Altra Lone pine trail runners until it gets cold, then I add Smart Wool hikers w/ my Salomon GTX boots. I wear OR gaiters if it is wet/snowy. I was turned on to the compression socks by my son, the Ironman, they really work for me.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did anyone happen to notice this is a 5.5 yo thread trolled to the top by someone pushing a product? laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, not only that, I just noticed the resurrection poster wasn't even talking about socks.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We’ll get this turned around. Plastic bread bags is where it’s at.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
living in Minnesota all my life and working outdoors for 50 some years 35 years as a lineman climbing poles .workin in the snow all winter,always outside,i think I understand what to wear for socks and boots when its cold.lineman in the cold wear 2 pairs of socks 1st pair tight long cotton socks,next long wool socks,good insulated leather boots or a good insulated hunting hiking boot no shorter than 10 inches,12 inches or more is better.boots should be kinda tight in A.M. hopefully you have those boots dryed out over nite somehow.if there is snow on the ground we slip rubbers over the boots too if we can.sometimes we use black tape on pants at top of boots so snow stays out of boots too. you should be good for 10- 12 hours before your feet get wet from sweat and cold. someone mentioned felt liner boots, I have tried them early in life you have no support I guess if you hunt close to the truck you will do ok but if you walk a lot your feet will end up hurting from felt boots.in real deep snow gaitors will help some too.i always carry extra 2 pairs of dry socks in my pack in a plastic bag and two pairs of gloves too in another bag .feet and hands need to stay warm and dry be careful out there. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 07/10/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why wear the cotton socks? Bulk?

I wear wool socks year round. The only occasional exception is a thin synthetic liner sock under the wool sock, if a boot is rubbing or with uninsulated/under insulated boots when extended sitting follows exhilaration.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dahlgren's socks in a lightly-insulated Gore-tex leather boot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
LOL, not only that, I just noticed the resurrection poster wasn't even talking about socks.....

Ha! “Resurrection Poster”... you’ve added a new phrase to the internet laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

718 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,243 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,316
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.