Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going backpack hunting for elk during the first season rifle in Colorado. I'm really going to be camping by my car and then walking in a few miles. I'm wondering what kind of clothes I should get. As I'm not sure what price range I want to be in could you please give me a few options in the low to high price range?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Layers...

Midweight and lightweight synthetic long underwear bottoms
Stretch nylon pants
Knee height gaiters
Lightweight synthetic t shirt
Lightweight and midweight 1/4 zip synthetic turtleneck
1/4 zip 200 weight synthetic fleece pullover
Unfaced/lightweight stretch synthetic full zip jacket
Midweight down/synthetic filled jacket
Goretex (or whatever) full zip rain jacket
Lightweight and midweight gloves
Lightweight and midweight caps

Rain pants optional

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sierratradingpost has marmot precip rain jackets for 59 bucks right now I believe. They should have some low key colors (brown and gray). For a rain shell they work great.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Layers...

This - and that is a decent list to start with IMHO.

But, start from the bottom and work up:

Boots - if you are going to walk in, they need to be durable, fit your feet, be well-broken in, and waterproof would help.

Extra socks - keeping your feet dry is important, especially when the car is still 3 miles on the outbound.

Gaiters - over the boots, keep the dew, rain, and snow off, and out of the boots. Good fitting ones will let you cross water deeper than the boot top - Brad listed them, but it's an overlooked piece of kit by many hunters.

Brands - everyone has an opinion, you need to look at your body shape, and make a honest assessment of what will work.

Some the upper end outerwear is meant for the 20-30 year olds with the 26.2 mile stickers all over their bumper area. Sitka is one that is meant for the lean body mass, IME.

Kuiu - better on fit, but be prepared to go up a size - they are for the leaner types as well.

Wool - great warmth in cold, greater in weight when wet. Not as compressible as the newer synthetics.

Ebay is good place to look during the summer, hunters are purging old gear for new, you can find deals there.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/10/18.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wouldn’t veer far from Brad’s list or AH64s additions. As for specific brands, I’d pick a layer or two and try a sample from a few vendors. Kuiu, Sitka and First lite are fine but also look to the traditional hiking companies (Marmot, North Face, Colombia, Arc’teryx, Patagonia, ...) as that’s where you’ll likely find some of the best gear. Although the hunting companies have made great strides (copied...) in recent years IMO. Since you’re not packing in, bulk and weight aren’t quite as important.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never seen an elk wearing clothes.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much to add on layers, think Brad nailed it.

As to brands, I've owned some of all the major brands and have settled on Sitka. They fit me well, hold up well, do what they're advertised to do, and have great customer service. Of course they don't give them away. I also really like Kuiu stuff, and some First Lite. I'd look on fleabay and rokslide for some used Sitka or Kuiu. I'd look for a Jetstream jkt, Timberline pants, Kelvin Lite puffy in the Sitka line or a Guide jkt/pants and one of their puffys in the Kuiu line. Used Kuiu will be more affordable or wait till one of their sales, likely get things for 20% off. As to base layers, I've gone back to all synthetic and moved away from Merino. I like Sitka synthetics better than Kuiu. I also have a bunch of Patagonia base layers - it's good. Ive gone to wearing a double base layer on my torso. I wear something very lite next to skin and over top wear either a Patagonia R1 or Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody. I normally hike in with that configuration and anything else in my pack. Depending on where you hunt, I may or may not do the rain jacket. Either the Sitka Jetstream or Kuiu Guide provide a bit of rain protection but you will get wet in a steady all day rain. Quick rain shower, you'll be fine.

I also wouldn't overlook Cabelas as a lower priced option. Their Microtex pants are good for early season.

Last edited by bwinters; 07/11/18.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I never seen an elk wearing clothes.

Mike

Damn! Beat em to it, LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad’s list and items are very good. I would add that I like Sitka and Kuiu clothing thus far but at only 6’ 210 lbs their tops even at XL are marginal for me to layer over other items. I needed XXL. Their pants relative to other clothing are truer to size for me.

Sitka mountain pants and Kuiu Attack pants are good, comfortable, and quiet. And tough. The only wool garment (due to usual bulk) I would consider for a walk-in hunt are Filson’s Whipcord, light wool pants. My two are going on twenty years and they don’t wear out. They are light, water resistant, incredibly tough, and comfortable through a wide range of temperatures. These pants are elk-ready and then you could wear them to church — they have a crease and look stylish!

Silk long Johns work for me.

Your “puffys” must be compressible thus packable. I’ve found very good down (800-900 fill weight) to be ok if you can be sure to keep it dry but you can also get a down product now (?) thats treated to not be affected by moisture.

Again, Brad’s head gear is good — don’t forget good sunglasses in your list.

And Your boots must be top-notch, and broken in — proven, or you will be out of the hunt on your second day. I like a size that accommodates a thin liner sock and a medium over sock. Good QUIET gaiters are a must as they will add 15-20* to the warmth of an uninsulated boot in very cold weather as well as keep everything much drier in wet conditions.

Gloves — synthetic; no leather.

I would add a very lightweight (titanium), collapsible trekking pole as as necessary as good clothing gear no matter how fit or strong you are.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 07/11/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A lot depends on when you hunt. I normally hunt the early seasons (September) so I only bring a single set of lightweight base layers, plus a short-sleeved synthtic t-shirt.

Also, I noticed Brad had rain pants optional. I'd agree with that for the late seasons when you won't have rain, but not in my part of the world in September, it can rain for days on end.

Good gaiters are something a lot of people overlook.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Start with Brad's List.

You don’t need the most expensive, uber-cool camo clothing to hunt elk. In fact in Colorado you have to wear 500 sq. in. of orange (hat & vest minimum). You do need full body covering appropriate for the weather; long trousers, long sleeve shirt, ball cap, light gloves, warm sox and hiking boots with good ankle support and lug soles. In the late seasons I also wear long underwear, an insulated vest, and gaiters. I use a good waterproof-breathable parka (one that actually works the way it’s supposed to) so I can hike back to camp in the rain without getting thoroughly soaked from the inside out. Most of my clothing is wool/synthetic blends or nylon/Gortex blends. Try to avoid cotton when the weather is cold and wet.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like fun

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/18/18.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Want to save dollars go surplus! Today's U.S. military has some of the best layering systems around!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The low rise waist on pants these days is the opposite of what I think works for anyone not assless.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Assless? That must've been what those guys I ran into at the trailhead last year were talking about.

Kept saying they were going into town to "get some ass." Now I know.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto re Brad's list and comfortable boots that give your foot a stable platform on any surface.

Personal details I like are pants that DO NOT BIND when I have to raise my leg high to step over a log, steep uphill, etc. Roomy or easy stretch. I have become a fan of suspenders for this reason and because they do not bind they allow layers to retain loft and keep me warmer.

A fingerless glove on my shooting hand, or a fingerless glove with overflap mitten for cold mornings. Or cut a slit on the palm side at the first joint of the glove on your shooting finger.

I have more trouble overheating than I do staying warm. Underdress and add another layer when you stop to glass or if you didn't put on enough at the start. Start walking in a bit cold.

Outer rain shell top and bottom is NEVER an option for me after too many years on the wet coast. Outer rain shell is axiomatic for the "what if...?" but I'd trust the men in the Rockies more than me if I were you.

A can or jar of peaches at the trailhead.

Last edited by Okanagan; 07/19/18.
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Who makes gaiters that will work well and last

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like firstlite, mostly the merino wool offerings, along with king of the mountain. Partial to wool I reckon...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 79inpa
Who makes gaiters that will work well and last

I used some Killik gaiters last year. held up great on multiple 8-12 mile mountain lion hunts over rugged jagged terrain. this they were $75-80 at sportsmans. I was happy with them given the terrain i put them through

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I were replacing my OR Croc's I'd go with Kuiu Yukon's... the one thing I don't like about the Croc's is the lack of a snap at the bottom of the gaiter opening. The little Velcro tab wears out becoming useless. I'll fit mine with an aftermarket snap, but having one in the first place, like the Kuiu Yukon, would have been the better design. I also like that Kuiu makes them in non-camouflage colors (other than black). The Hillsound Armadillo lineup looks good too, but I have no experience with them. Ditto RAB and Black Diamond.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.