Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Been looking at one. Anyone have any direct experience with them? Would much appreciate any info you might could lend on it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Here's a link to an older thread from 2014. The OP may have a fair bit of experience with it now. I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say about it.....I was interested at the time but never followed through.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9049330/2015_Honda_Pioneer_500

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 07/10/18. Reason: ...add the link.....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Its a Honda..........but

weighs 1025 lbs......I think the 500 cc motor (475cc) may be a little underpowered

add two people.....some gear....grunt......

I would opt for the 700 cc Deluxe w/PS & other extras

PS is nice on a SxS !

https://powersports.honda.com/pioneer/500/specifications.aspx

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
JM and tikka, thanks. The reason I’m looking at the smaller 500 is for using it on narrower 4whlr trails.

Tikka I sure like that rig of yours.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Our Manti Forest has widened trails from 50" to 66"

Not all are complete yet......several really good ones are still 50"

Lots of trails to ride though....desert BLM are nearly all 66" plus

Just too damm hot to be on the desert..September soooon !

Honda builds a great product......don't be 'fraid !

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know 2 people who have 50" Polaris RZR 570's. That will fit in the back of a long bed pickup and is legal on ATV trails. They only have about 70cc's more than the Honda but they're rated at 48hp vs about 28hp for the Honda. They have plenty of power.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
RC, thought about those but the local dealer ain’t so hot. Bad rep.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another option if you are open to consideration would be the Yamaha Wolverine. I had a Rhino which was bullet proof and the Wolverine seems to be the same. They get great reviews.

One of many....

https://www.utvdriver.com/2016-yamaha-wolverine-r-spec-eps-first-drive-review

Last edited by battue; 07/12/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
battue, I also had a 450 Rhino that was a good one. I have considered the Wolverine, too but there is a sale on the Pioneer 500's. Honda of Brookhaven (Mississippi). Henry Honda in Kosiusko, Mississippi says they wont be undersold and being from Louisiana,,,,,no tax.

eta: thanks.

Last edited by Old_Toot; 07/12/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One more. The Wolverine is a completely different machine than the Rhino. Power Steering for one and the ride for another. It is like a Buick compared to the Rhino. I had no intention of trading the Rhino until I took a ride in the Wolverine. Found a 2016 with an easy 1000mi on the odometer and didn't hesitate.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
battue, I also had a 450 Rhino that was a good one. I have considered the Wolverine, too but there is a sale on the Pioneer 500's. Honda of Brookhaven (Mississippi). Henry Honda in Kosiusko, Mississippi says they wont be undersold and being from Louisiana,,,,,no tax.

UTV is big business the the west.....especially in Utah

tested a new Wolverine 4 prior to purchase of '18 Teryx4 LE

complete new machine..new 850cc motor...PS of course......

super quiet exhaust...rear seating was too tight for me....

Teryx won with the 3 yr warranty....$2K promo discount..HD machine build

click link for current pricing out here

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/52818479

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Maybe so but if you buy a machine you won't be happy with, is that really a good deal? An underpowered one will depreciate just as fast as a high powered one.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
You’ve got a good point, RC. But I need 4whlr width for my needs and depreciation isn’t a factor as a grandson will get it. He’ll also get my Saleen 281 Supercharged Mustang. It, too, is a wee bit wide for the trails!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good friend has one that I have several hours in. It is very loud. Need to wear ear muffs if your going far or often. Have come close to tipping over on almost every ride. Feels like a 4 wheeler that they strapped a 2 person cab on and it constantly wants to lean over. This in Tennessee, where the hills are not that tough. Uncomfortable for a big man. I am 6 1 and 250 lbs. Buddy is a little bigger and it definitely is a tight fit. Seat gets hot. Not warm, HOT. Very uncomfortable on these hot days down south. Your milage may vary but I have no interest in them.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Good friend has one that I have several hours in. It is very loud. Need to wear ear muffs if your going far or often. Have come close to tipping over on almost every ride. Feels like a 4 wheeler that they strapped a 2 person cab on and it constantly wants to lean over. This in Tennessee, where the hills are not that tough. Uncomfortable for a big man. I am 6 1 and 250 lbs. Buddy is a little bigger and it definitely is a tight fit. Seat gets hot. Not warm, HOT. Very uncomfortable on these hot days down south. Your milage may vary but I have no interest in them.

Whoa! That’s good info to know that I’ve never heard and much appreciate it. BTW, last time you and I talked we were both in The Hong Kong area, circa 1990’s. Hope you’re doing well.

I’m going to check out the Pioneer forum a lot closer. Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old Toot, Spent 5 years in Hong Kong and loved it but happy to be back in Huntsville, Ala now. Lucky to have a great place to hunt/fish/piddle and lots of family close. After all those years on the road or really in the air, it is nice to be home. Your welcome to stop by anytime your up this way. Will show you how poor people live! :-)

Ray

As for the Pioneer, friend also has the 1000 I think it is. Now that is a machine. Only issue I know of with it is that the seat does get warm. Not hot like the other but still a little uncomfortable if your going to be ridiing a lot. Other than that, a really nice ride.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have no experience with the Honda Pioneer but from what I've read here, I don't think I'd want one. You say the local Polaris dealer isn't reliable. How far is it to the next one? We bought a '12 RZR a couple years ago and it hasn't needed a dealer since we've had it. It's been highly reliable. It's been a great machine.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Old Toot, Spent 5 years in Hong Kong and loved it but happy to be back in Huntsville, Ala now. Lucky to have a great place to hunt/fish/piddle and lots of family close. After all those years on the road or really in the air, it is nice to be home. Your welcome to stop by anytime your up this way. Will show you how poor people live! :-)

Ray

As for the Pioneer, friend also has the 1000 I think it is. Now that is a machine. Only issue I know of with it is that the seat does get warm. Not hot like the other but still a little uncomfortable if your going to be ridiing a lot. Other than that, a really nice ride.

Sweet Home Alabama, what more can a fella say? Got a passel of friends in the “greater “ Atmore area. Should you and yours be traveling westward, know that y’all have a soft place to land, also. Heck, I might be able to ‘out po-folk’ you. Grins.

Thanks again for that Pioneer info.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I have no experience with the Honda Pioneer but from what I've read here, I don't think I'd want one. You say the local Polaris dealer isn't reliable. How far is it to the next one? We bought a '12 RZR a couple years ago and it hasn't needed a dealer since we've had it. It's been highly reliable. It's been a great machine.

RC, y’all have got me double clutching here. I’m glad I asked.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a friend that is looking for one. He wants it as it will fit in his truck bed and his Dad can ride in it with him instead on the back of a quad. I have a new 700 deluxe and to say I am impressed with it is a understatement. We have gone in to some places with it that I don't know my old Rhino would of handled due to its shorter wheelbase. Mine also gets warm but yesterday in high 90"s heat it was ok. I think what you get in a UTV depends on how hard you are going to use it. With some uses bigger is better if you go that route

Last edited by coyote268; 07/16/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

449 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.