Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12979773 07/10/18
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I find this piece of maple and it says.....turn me into a .308 Winchester.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dfwSwo/IMG_2936.jpg[/img]

[img]https://image.ibb.co/hFLbp8/IMG_2933.jpg[/img]

The barreled action is 100% Howa....as is from their factory. I bought it from gunbroker and when I tookit to the range using the original Hogue stock, it was very accurate and I wasn't at all sure I wanted to monkey with it......But monkey I did and when it was done the accuracy had actually improved.

It is now the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.....with 150 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and 51.5 grains CFE 223 powder it will consistently hit dime size targets at 100 yards
Pistol grip cap and for end tip are cocobolo as I like the red color with the maple.

The wood came from Potsdam Minnesota

Stock routing by Dennis Olson of Plains Montana

This will probably be my elk rifle this fall

Last edited by vapodog; 07/10/18.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spectacular spalted maple!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty eh !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Spalted Maple is beautiful, but you have to stabilize it.

I see spalted wood in the butt stock, straight grain in the action and forearm, which is exactly how I'd want it.

What did you have to do to stabilize the spalted area, or was it already done for you?

Would like more info on Dennis Olson, web site, etc.

Very nice. You done good... cool

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a link back to where the "gluing" discussion began.

I still love the widow's peak forearm cap that you do.

www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12757265

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dennis does great work. He did the metal work on my 458Lott.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Spalted Maple is beautiful, but you have to stabilize it.

I see spalted wood in the butt stock, straight grain in the action and forearm, which is exactly how I'd want it.

What did you have to do to stabilize the spalted area, or was it already done for you?

Would like more info on Dennis Olson, web site, etc.

Very nice. You done good... cool

DF

Spalted wood is highly prised for its unusual patterns and colorations, but it's not necessarily easy to work. "Spalting" occurs in an early stage of the decay process, when various colonies of fungi stake their claims to a piece of fallen wood. The characteristic blue-black lines that run through spalted wood actually represent the lines of demarcation between incompatible colonies of micro-organisms and, while beautiful to look at, they mean that the wood is in an early to mid-stage of decomposition.

: "Assuming the spots aren't too mushy, you can pot them with a wood hardener designed to soak in and stabilize rotted wood. They come in two versions — a one package pour on and a two part thin epoxy with names like "Woodrot" (which I use) In my opinion, the epoxy is the better of the two. You can get some from System Three in Seattle — they have ads in most of the woodworking magazines. Once stabilized, you can treat it as any other wood. The epoxy will affect the way it takes stains, but most folks don't stain spalted wood. It will not affect finish adhesion, and rarely affects glue adhesion.

I have used spalted Maple in panels of wood in my house and did not stabilize it.....the stuff has been there for 15 years with no further decay noticible. I'm of the opinion that if the wood is not "punk"....able to be penetrated with the fingernail..... it will stop decaying after the oxygen is cut off by putting a good finish on the wood.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Stunning. Well done.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Spalted wood is very, very dangerous to work with.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by keith

Please explain. Dangerous as to one's health or dangerous as to not knowing what you're going to be cutting into, what lies under the surface?

Vapodog,

Did Dennis do the external shaping as well? If so, what pattern did he use?

DF

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn nice work Forrest, but I think I would have added a little bit of stain to make it a bit darker, Best thing about it is that you sourced the wood In Minnesota!

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Please explain. Dangerous as to one's health or dangerous as to not knowing what you're going to be cutting into, what lies under the surface?

Vapodog,

DF

Dennis did a 95% inlet leaving me rough and finish sanding, recoil pad install, forend tip and pistol grip install, sling swivel stud install, and finally finishing and checkering. However it's far from a drop in....there is a lot of work involved after Dennis gets his work done.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He said they don't stain well after stabilizing with the two part epoxy treatment.

So, it may have been a train wreck had he tried to stain it. Looks pretty good to me as is.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by vapodog

Vapodog,

DF

Dennis did a 95% inlet leaving me rough and finish sanding, recoil pad install, forend tip and pistol grip install, sling swivel stud install, and finally finishing and checkering. However it's far from a drop in....there is a lot of work involved after Dennis gets his work done.

You sent him an uninletted, shaped blank?

Did you do the profile, the outside shape?

DF

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Damn nice work Forrest, but I think I would have added a little bit of stain to make it a bit darker, Best thing about it is that you sourced the wood In Minnesota!

I stained a previous maple stock and said "never again"....these things are to ones personal tastes and I'm now of the thinking that if I don't like the wood "as is".....I'll use something else.

I understand your differing here.....but it's just my mean streak coming out against the companies making wood stain.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You sent him an uninletted, shaped blank?

Did you do the profile, the outside shape?

Yes, I sent him a crudely shaped (via band saw) uninletted blank.....Dennis' routing furnished 95% of the final shape.....he even did the shadowline cheekpiece.....rough but clearly merely needing sanding.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Is that a certain pattern you chose?

Looks great.

DF

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is that a certain pattern you chose?

Looks great.

DF
I like the shadowline cheekpiece.....so if it's available I ask for it....it almost always is but on occasion I just get a regular cheekpiece.

Dennis seems to be able to make almost anything.....but ask him before sending wood....one can wreck a "C-note" in just shipping costs if you don't.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Spalted wood can be lighter in weight.

Is this the case with this one?

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I do not normally like maple stocks, I do like that a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,302
Posts18,449,071
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.