Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
It was clean, but I'll check that. Maybe I missed something.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just a Hunter - from what I saw in your first post, I think you have two separate problems, neither of which has been mentioned yet.

#1 - get rid of the WLR primers. They have been cracking and leaking like that for at least the last 10 years, it's a known problem that I think Winchester still hasn't fixed, because people keep using them anyway. I have several pitted bolt faces because of them, and it's not related to high pressure, just bad primer cups.

#2 - You need to measure the headspace on your sized brass, especially with new brass, don't just guess and turn the size die in 1/4 turn ( or whatever) past touching. I'd bet lunch you'll find headspace is a little too short with that new brass and is causing false pressure signs. Measuring headspace is easy if you have a digital caliper, and while it's easier with the right tool, you can do it with just an empty 9mm pistol case inverted over the rifle case neck. Compare to your fired brass from that chamber (with primer removed!) and set headspace back .001-.002".

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Yondering

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a Hunter,

The necks are too thick for THAT chamber when fired brass won't allow bullet to be freely inserted into the necks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Or, you may with to just try some different brass, or some factory loads.

If it still shows excessive pressure with Winchester brass, or factory loads, you know it's not a brass or ammo issue but a rifle issue.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm
Originally Posted by Yondering
Just a Hunter - from what I saw in your first post, I think you have two separate problems, neither of which has been mentioned yet.

#1 - get rid of the WLR primers. They have been cracking and leaking like that for at least the last 10 years, it's a known problem that I think Winchester still hasn't fixed, because people keep using them anyway. I have several pitted bolt faces because of them, and it's not related to high pressure, just bad primer cups.

#2 - You need to measure the headspace on your sized brass, especially with new brass, don't just guess and turn the size die in 1/4 turn ( or whatever) past touching. I'd bet lunch you'll find headspace is a little too short with that new brass and is causing false pressure signs. Measuring headspace is easy if you have a digital caliper, and while it's easier with the right tool, you can do it with just an empty 9mm pistol case inverted over the rifle case neck. Compare to your fired brass from that chamber (with primer removed!) and set headspace back .001-.002".

I'm reading what you are saying about the Winchester primers. Man I have a lot of those.

The headspace might be right. I have a .284 that gives false high pressure signs too with new brass, but it hasn't shown an increase in velocity or bad primers so that confused me.

Thank you Mule Deer. The bullets go into the fired cases so that must not be it.

antelope sniper

I may have to do just that. Also I am thinking of trying a lighter load or reloading the fired cases and seeing if the headspace has been corrected by the firing. Sound idea or stupid?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I'm

I'm reading what you are saying about the Winchester primers. Man I have a lot of those.

The headspace might be right. I have a .284 that gives false high pressure signs too with new brass, but it hasn't shown an increase in velocity or bad primers so that confused me.

Thank you Mule Deer. The bullets go into the fired cases so that must not be it.

antelope sniper

I may have to do just that. Also I am thinking of trying a lighter load or reloading the fired cases and seeing if the headspace has been corrected by the firing. Sound idea or stupid?

You are already at a minimum load.

Now it's time to start experimentally removing variables.

Year back we had a similar issue with Mom's rifle. We swapped out our ever trusty hand loads for some Remington factory loads. When the issue didn't go away, we knew it wasn't an ammo problem.

You've eliminated many of the low cost ammo based usual suspects from the list. Now it's time to test if it's the rifle.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

It sucks about the Win primers, I hear ya; I've got a couple cases of them myself that I won't use. Too bad, cause I liked them before they had problems.

Excess headspace will show false pressure signs, guaranteed. It's really simple to measure though to be sure, just compare to fired brass in that chamber, as long as it's not from a really mild load with the primer backed out. (When the primer is backed out in a mild load, the shoulder is bumped back.)

Here's picture to show what I mean. Zero the caliper on the fired case, then measure the sized case. The measurement is between the case head and the middle of the shoulder. This one is adjusted correctly, the caliper measurement shows the shoulder has been bumped back .002". You can use a fired 9mm case, something like a Hornady headspace comparator, or make your own like I did.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I do have some factory loads that I'll try.

Thanks Yondering

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have the same issue with a stock barreled military Swede. Assembled some ammo in new brass for a ladder assay. Less than halfway through the low to high load run I began getting bolt lift pressure indications. Did not have a chrony along, so I'm just going with the lighter load for now. Did not even attempt to fire any of the upper end loads. As I was moving up the ladder, however, every slug was punching the same hole.

Will do some anal brass prep after I get through an initial firing then start some intensive investigations into cause.

Good luck,

1Minute
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

It sucks about the Win primers, I hear ya; I've got a couple cases of them myself that I won't use. Too bad, cause I liked them before they had problems.

Excess headspace will show false pressure signs, guaranteed. It's really simple to measure though to be sure, just compare to fired brass in that chamber, as long as it's not from a really mild load with the primer backed out. (When the primer is backed out in a mild load, the shoulder is bumped back.)

Here's picture to show what I mean. Zero the caliper on the fired case, then measure the sized case. The measurement is between the case head and the middle of the shoulder. This one is adjusted correctly, the caliper measurement shows the shoulder has been bumped back .002". You can use a fired 9mm case, something like a Hornady headspace comparator, or make your own like I did.

[Linked Image]

I did the headspace measurements with the 9mm case as you suggested since I don't have .26 for my comparator. The difference between a new case and a fired case was .0035

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That should be just fine; if that headspace measurement is correct then headspace is not your problem. Good to know how to check it though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
I was getting over book velocity for that load, but lower than max velocity according to the book and ejector marks on the cases.

Sounds like you need to load less than "book max." It happens. Velocity is the best indicator as long as your chrono is accurate. But I've gotten funky chrono ouputs in changing light near dusk.

Ejector marks on the case head are IME some of the best pressure indicators.

A known rifle that has never had a problem before! Load a little less and just keep on shooting doesn't sound like very safe advise. I would find the problem before resuming or if I couldn't find the problem I would have a reputable gunsmith help me out. I would start by taking a good look at your brass considering its the new element you introduced along with the problem occuring at the same time

Last edited by Trystan; 07/14/18.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was testing loads for my wife 6.5x55 Ruger MK II the other day and got high pressure signs with under max Nosler book loads. The powders tested were H1000, RL-22 and H4831SC. The other component were Nosler Brass, 140g Nosler PT and WLR primers. I only shot one round from each load because I was getting over book velocity for that load, but lower than max velocity according to the book and ejector marks on the cases. This has never happened before. One primer appears to have leaked and one was almost pierced. At least it looked that way. Bolt lift seemed fine. I pulled the bullets and reweighted the powder and in all loads it was correct. Wondering what could be the cause?

I thought of too short of throat: Nope plenty long and well over what they were loaded.

Improper head spacing maybe that allowed the brass to slam back into the bolt, but again not a problem before. However this was new brass, but a brand I have used before.

Bad primers maybe, but again that higher velocity with a shorter barrel.

I thought my scale was off, but used the same scale right after these were loaded to load .257 Roberts that were spot on velocity and no pressure signs.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Have you checked the water capacity of the nosler brass. Then compared it to a different brand?

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I agree step 1 is shoot some factory loads. If the problem goes away you know you have a problem with components or methods.

If factory bullets work fine then I would start here:

1. measure your bullets.
2. make sure your barrel is clean
3. Check your scale
4. change powders. The same powder in a different lot can have quite different results.
5. check your headspacing.
6. Try different brass
7. Try different primers
8. Take it to a gun smith.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by baltz526

Have you checked the water capacity of the nosler brass. Then compared it to a different brand?

That's a good point. Checking the water capacity or at least just weighing the empty cases compared to a different brand should shed some light on that.

Another consideration is that your Nosler brass might be a bit on the soft side; I encountered that in a different cartridge with their brass.

I'd suggest trying the same load again, but with different primers (because of the known WLR issue) and a different brand of brass. Do the ejector marks go away?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys.

I think the first thing I'll do is try factory stuff (Question: I imagine the factory stuff is really light due to old rifles they are fearful of.)

Because of the Primer issue I think I will try some CCIs and see if that is a problem.

The soft case issue. That's a new one for Nosler as far as I have heard, but I think Norma makes brass for Nosler and have heard of some Norma brass being soft.

Also see what the Nosler brass water capacity is.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 07/15/18.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thanks guys.

I think the first thing I'll do is try factory stuff (Question: I imagine the factory stuff is really light due to old rifles they are fearful of.)

Because of the Primer issue I think I will try some CCIs and see if that is a problem.

The soft case issue. That's a new one for Nosler as far as I have heard, but I think Norma makes brass for Nosler and have heard of some Norma brass being soft.

Also see what the Nosler brass water capacity is.

Nosler contracts from a wide variety of brass makers. If you watch the headstamps the font will vary from lot-to-lot, or at least they used to. Regardless, it's all made to Nosler standards, which typically means it's thick, heavy, and has reduced case capacity. That said, the reduced case capacity should NOT be enough to give you pressure problems with minimum loads.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/15/18.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[quote=Just a Hunter]That said, the reduced case capacity should be enough to give you pressure problems with minimum loads.

Is that should or shouldn't give pressure signs?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I think I need to apologize to you all for wasting your time. I just shot some Federal 140 Soft Points. The case is identical to the reloads although the primers look better. Must be a quirk with the rifle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.