Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been off these boards for a while, boys, while life its ownself has kept me occupied more than usual. But I check in here on occasion and try to keep up with all y'all's African peregrinations, and as it happens, reading about Dave's RSA Scout Rifle hunt got me to thinkin'...

So here's what I'm thinkin' about. Next August, me and The Redhead are gonna spend 10 days in the Bubye Valley Conservancy with John Sharp. I'll be chasing Buff, eland, waterbuck, and kudu (in that order). The Redhead will mostly be tagging along with me, but has admitted she would really love to collect a zebra and maybe an impala, and she has expressed the opinion that some warthog ivory she could convert to personal jewellery would be nice.

I am looking to improve on my 2015 buff and kudu, and to collect that ultimate (to me) African head, a blue bull eland, which I did not get a chance to collect in '15. And waterbuck, which are plentiful in the Bubye, really caught my eye last time and if a good one pokes his head up I plan to take it off.

The Redhead has not yet killed anything bigger than a Texas jackrabbit, but we have plans to get her a TX whitetail this fall on a friend's ranch here in south Texas. Problem is, she can't use any of my rifles, because she is left-hand and left eye dominant. So we need to get her a rifle suitable for American deer sized game, but that will also serve for African antelope and for zebra, and it has to be a left-hand rifle.

I'm leaning toward a .30 caliber, likely .30-06; stoked with 180 gr TTSX, it should be adequate for zebra, and more than enough gun for antelope. I don't want to go much smaller, although she has expressed a partiality for the .270 Win, as that was her daddy' caliber and that's what all her brothers shoot... Then there's the newfangle 6.5mm Creedmoor, which everyone seems to be buying these days, and should be sufficient for her North American hunting, and everything in Zim other than (perhaps?) zebra. Or maybe just a good old .308, or while we'are at it, maybe a .358 Win? (I have one of those already, a lovely old Savage 99 that would serve her well, I think).

So I'm open to suggestions from you fellers here on the 'Fire. What say you?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270 w/ 150 gr. Partition

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My wife used a 30-06 with a 165 TSX for her zebra.

Rifle was a second hand Model 70 out of the Winchester Custom Shop. Bone stock other than I upgraded the bedding and it had been ordered with a 13 inch LOP.

She hasn't hunted anything since but keeps talking about an eland!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you need a 180 TTSX in the 30-06. 168 at the biggest. Could even go 150.

If she really wants a 270, I'd let her have it. Load a TTSX in it and she's golden, including zebra. While in the Eastern Cape, I couldn't believe that with some PHs that don't hunt dangerous game, the 270 is their largest cartridge. I heard some talking about how they thought it was a great all around cartridge. I know my PH loans his 270 out to clients. His other rifle is a 7x57.

Meanwhile we are told 30 calibre and above, a 30-06 is a sensible minimum.

Other choices would be a 7-08, 280 or 308, 7x57. We bumped off a young bull moose with my 6.5 Creedmoor and a 129 Hornady.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If she likes the 270, run with it. The zebra won’t notice or care about the difference between a .270 and an 06.

A left handed M70 so chambered shouldn’t be too difficult to find.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc: My uncle ALWAYS took a 270 as his light gun on several safaris in the 60s INCLUDING lion, with old fashioned Winchester Silvertips. Personally, I like your 06/180 TTSX combo though.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.270 with either a 150 grain Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame. A 160 grain Nosler Partition will be a good choice also.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ll pitch in with my usual angle; I’d worry more about stock fit than calibre. If the stock fits well and the scope is properly positioned and calibre is within reason all is good. That being said if she wants a .270 get one and use whatever quality bullets the rifle shoots best. An advantage of the .270 over the .30-06 is less recoil and therefore more practice will likely happen and less chance of a flinch or gun shyness developing.

I love the idea of jewelry from Warthog ivory. I have a set of Warthog tusks sitting at home and I’m thinking of what to do with them.

Enjoy all the safari pre-planning and preparation.

I’m surprised no one here has told you that you suck after announcing an upcoming trip to hunt in Africa. Doc you suck. 😃

All the best GRF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used a 270 or 280 on at least 20 African trips and with TTSX or E-Tip or Trophy Bonded Tip bullets there will be no issues.
I spent a month there earlier this year a got 50+ Zebra wildebeest etc and a 6.5 CM would have been just fine for all. 90% of the shots will be 225 yards or less. Less recoil means better shot placement. So I would get the 6.5 or load the 270-130’s to around 2850-2900 with 4895 to significantly reduce recoil.
DON’T MAKE IT DIFFICULT.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just got back from S. Africa. Our PH was doubtful when my son showed up with his new Tikka T3X stainless lite 6.5 Creedmoor. Ph had heard all the hype, but never had a client use one. My son took Sable, Warthog, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest and Mountain Reedbuck all one shot kills other than the Blue Wildebeest that just stood there after the first shot. PH counseld my son to shoot just behind the shoulder on each animal with the goal of double lung shots. We used factory 143 grain Precision Hunter ammunition. Light gun, significantly reduced recoil compared to a .270 and the sound is not nearly as bad as the magnums. Shots ranged from 60-220 yards.

Last edited by 1800topsoil; 07/11/18.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any cartridge from 6.5 on up should work fine for zebra on down. Mrs Blacktailer has a cute little Kimber Super America in 308 that has done the duty for her up to zebra and has done double duty as my light rifle. Since it is fairly light and her first rifle I started her off with mild loads with 100gr bullets and worked her up to full power 165 Barnes. Don't think it is available for southpaws but you are on the right track. Just have her practice plenty from field positions and off sticks. And have it fitted to her. Nothing kicks worse than an ill fitting rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not to provide a reason to not to buy another rifle, but the last time I went, I wasn't in the mood to lug a rifle over there so as a right-handed person shared my dad's left-handed Montana 1999 with no problems.

The only issue I could for see is some countries and provinces have minimum caliber restrictions. Namibia for instance has a 7mm minimum for medium game I believe. You may not run into that where you're going. My daughter used a 7-08 in Namibia with good results. My other daughter did fine with a 45-pound compound bow in RSA.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with finding a rifle that fits and she can shoot accurately. Then practice, practice and practice some more. Caliber is less important than shot placement, within reason. Initial zero on the bench then get off of it. Practice with sticks, looped sling, field expedient shooting positions, kneeling, sitting, and prone.

Dave

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
270 w/ 150 gr. Partition

What he said.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Returned from the East Cape on June 15th from a cull PG hunt. Rifle was a Blaser R93 in .30/06 with a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42, 4A reticle. Used factory loaded Barnes 168 grainTTSX ammunition which performed perfectly on everything hit with it. Most shots exited and most animals were DRT.

If she is comfortable with an '06, fine. It is always a good choice. If not, a 7x57 or 7-08 with appropriate ammunition is a good lower recoil alternative, providing she shoots it well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would see if I could find a .35 Whelen for her to shoot and see what she thinks of it.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Lots of good replies here, fellers, I do appreciate the input. And yes, GRF, I know I suck. But in all fairness, this trip was The Redhead’s idea... we never took a honeymoon trip when we wed in ‘16, and she says this will serve.

As several of you have said, rifle fit is Job One. Which is why a left hand action is crucial. I have no doubt I can shoot her left hand rifle if. Weds be, but I don’t want her to have to accommodate one of my right hand rifles. Caliber and load are secondary considerations. I’m considering the wisdom of stocking the rifle with a slightly heavier than OEM laminate stock for recoil reduction, if we go with the ‘06, since she will not be carrying the rifle long distances here in TX or in Zim.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Rifle was a Blaser R93.

I'm sorry smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both my youngest son and daughter seemed to enjoy their M70's 7x57 with 175gr. NP

The Big pills dig deep and are more than adequate for Zebra (Eland too) and recoil is minimal.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I'm leaning toward a .30 caliber, likely .30-06; stoked with 180 gr TTSX, it should be adequate for zebra, and more than enough gun for antelope. I don't want to go much smaller, although she has expressed a partiality for the .270 Win, as that was her daddy' caliber and that's what all her brothers shoot...

So I'm open to suggestions from you fellers here on the 'Fire. What say you?

Doc either choice would be good. Ingwewife used the 30-06 180 TSX combo with great success...a .270 with a TTSX in it would be a damn close second....

Last edited by ingwe; 07/11/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.