Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12975676 07/08/18
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Has anyone tried any of the eld x 200 gr. And up to 220 gr. Same for nosler acubond LR, Or anything else that you all may have had success with for elk out to 1000 yards. I'm pretty sure nosler stretches the truth with their BC. But if they work I can adjust that on the calculator. I also planed on using IMR 4350, unless there is something much better??? Just trying to save a little time, gun is a vanguard. Also understand they are all individual guns.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Willie, I have (2) 300 Wby’s I have used on elk out to 700 yards. 180gr NAB for one rifle and Barnes 180gr TSX bullets in the other. Both have good accuracy and solid killing performance. The Accubond bullet has caused more damage on elk...But, the TSX has penetrated deeper, usually with bullet recovery on the opposite side inner rib cage or found just under the hide. Never shot either at 1000 yards on an elk...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks, 600-700 will probably be the max for me too, in darn good circumstances. As I'm pretty comfortable with other cartridges at those distances. But would like to fool with the steel a little at 1000. And didn't want to spend a bunch experimenting with bullets that are noted to be finicky. Knowing the free bore situation. And not wanting to single load. Just hoped maybe someone had luck loading mag length with something that just flat worked. The rascal shoots the hell outa green and yellow 180gr. Core-Lokts. But I'd be a feared they would fly like a bowling ball much past 450. Will see how many respond, and thanks for the two you suggested .

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Regarding powder, I'd always opt to use 7828 over IMR4350. Even though 4350 has always been one of my favorite powders. In the WBY though, powders like 7828 are your huckleberry.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks, I'll probably have to keep it in mind. If the 4350 craps out. Just being a cheap arse! At those distances probably not going to get away with it though.

Take care, Willie

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Regarding powder, I'd always opt to use 7828 over IMR4350. Even though 4350 has always been one of my favorite powders. In the WBY though, powders like 7828 are your huckleberry.

7828 here behind a 180 gr. TSX. Have taken Elk at 600 yds. Punched it twice, second shot was unnecessary. Both were just a few inches apart.

If I remember correctly, 7828 was the original factory loaded powder. Someone like JB might chime in with more info. Think at one time I used RL-22 also, this before some of the newer RLs were released.

For a 24” barrel or a bit lighter bullets, you might consider 4831 (sc might stack in there better). Not sure about long range ballistics, but used to use the 168 grain Barnes and they were like sledgehammers (per Barnes direction, they have recommended using one or two size lighter bullets for the monos).

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wdenike
Thanks, I'll probably have to keep it in mind. If the 4350 craps out. Just being a cheap arse! At those distances probably not going to get away with it though.

Take care, Willie

I'm a cheap azz too, so I know how you feel. I also have quite a bit of IMR and H4350 around, so I also know how you feel about that powder. Just buy a pound of 7828, and give it a try. It may be worth the expense.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I use RL-26 in my .300 Wby. I'm getting 3200 +/- (26" barrel) with a 180 grain Nosler Partition,accuracy is just under an inch at 100 yards.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I haven't found anything better than 7828SSC behind the 180 Barnes in the 300 Weatherby. It was also one of the easiest loads to find I've ever had.

Last edited by Rodell; 07/09/18.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
7828 is what I use pushing a 200 AB....they are verry accurate and hit hard....

IC B3

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks guys guess I'll have to turn loose a couple bucks and try the 7828!!! Looks like a lot of 180 gr. being used.
Thought I'd have to go with a little heavier for the BC.

TAKE CARE, Willie

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Have any of you guys used Ramshot Magnum.

Take care, Willie

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used 180 accubonds and partitions 84.7 7728 for years but put a BRUX 1/10 26" on my Lh 700. New load is 78 gr H4831-SC. And 200 accubonds 2938 es 6. The 588 bc is a hair low but I'm at 5300/6000 elv. Start low work slow ! .279 c-c 5 shot. Gun hates 212 eldx. 4 300 Win mags love them

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I load 150 Barnes for my 300 Weatherby, kills deer and pigs like lightening!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used Nosler Partitions 180 grain in my Pre 64 70 300 H&H Improved (same specs as a Wby) out to extended ranges. Accuracy was outstanding as far as I could see and probably a lot further. Accubonds and BT hunting also shot extremely well in my Pre 64 70. My other 300 Mags also like them a lot. Haven't felt the need to try anything else so can't really expound on other pills.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I read somewhere the 180gr E-tip was supposed to be good in the 300 weather you , but have had no luck with it . Any body here tried them ? The 200 gr SGK has shown some good promise .
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 07/24/18.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I don't know why nobody has brought this up yet, but if you are truly going to hunt at longer ranges you need to consider using a proven temp stable powder. I use h1000 in my 300 bee just for that reason. Pushing a barnes 168 ttsx fast enough to get the job done. Look at hofgfon extreme line. A difference of 50 fps in velocity or more from your summer practice to fall or winter hunting conditions will cause a miss at extended ranges. You will also need a chronograph to measure velocity of your load. If you can't invest the time and money into doing the testing and doing it right, do us all a favor and don't do it. It's cool and all, but there are a lot of factors past "point and shoot"

As far as bullet selection, the hornady eld line will work fine for extended ranges, as will nosler accubond, and barnes. Most manufacturers will give a velocity range for their bullets that will still give acceptable bullet performance. That's why you need a chrono. If you know the mv of a load, you can use a ballistics app to see what your true MAX range is, which will depend entirely on the lowest velocity your bullet will still expand at.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend and I have always used IMR 7828, mostly pre-SSC, and 180 gr Partitions for elk. I used a 165 gr Grand Slam on my first elk, and it worked great, too. Now, I would probably use a 168 gr Barnes. I used 85 gr IMR7828 in Weatherby cases but had to drop down to 82 gr in Remington brass with the 180s. Start lower and work up in your gun, of course. These loads shot 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch groups in 3 different rifles.

The suggestion for a temp insensitive powder is a good one if you are hunting in extreme weather. In Montana one year, it was 18 below at 8 AM. Where we live and sight in, it is usually 70-80.

Last edited by Calif. Hunter; 07/25/18.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ridgegoat
I don't know why nobody has brought this up yet, but if you are truly going to hunt at longer ranges you need to consider using a proven temp stable powder. I use h1000 in my 300 bee just for that reason. Pushing a barnes 168 ttsx fast enough to get the job done. Look at hofgfon extreme line. A difference of 50 fps in velocity or more from your summer practice to fall or winter hunting conditions will cause a miss at extended ranges. You will also need a chronograph to measure velocity of your load. If you can't invest the time and money into doing the testing and doing it right, do us all a favor and don't do it. It's cool and all, but there are a lot of factors past "point and shoot"

As far as bullet selection, the hornady eld line will work fine for extended ranges, as will nosler accubond, and barnes. Most manufacturers will give a velocity range for their bullets that will still give acceptable bullet performance. That's why you need a chrono. If you know the mv of a load, you can use a ballistics app to see what your true MAX range is, which will depend entirely on the lowest velocity your bullet will still expand at.

For the most part, thanks guys. Have some h-1000, and retumbo. Along with a few different LR lead at different weights on the way.
As for the above quote. It takes a real narcissistic know it all to azzume, while not even knowing the person whom which they are speaking to. That the person doesn't have the tools required for project at hand. " Do us all a favor and don't do it " what do you have a friggen mouse in your pocket??? As I am sure most on here don't need any favors from a self proclaimed know it all. "It's cool and all, but there are a lot of factors past " point and shoot " LMFAO Carry on azz hat!!!

Take care, Willie

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Chronograph is handy no doubt.. but hardly a necessity

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,254
Posts18,467,002
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.