Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BwanaND Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Was asked to go on a bear hunt this spring and given I hadn't done much archery shooting in recent years I decided I would use a rifle. Didn't really have anything set up for close range shooting until a buddy borrowed me his 1951 Model 94 carbine in .32 Win Special. Come time to give it back and he asks me if I would like to buy the gun?

Don't have much use for it but at $600 plus he is throwing in 2 boxes of shells, he has me thinking...

Good deal or not?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Depends on condition.

Can you post a photo?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably
Condition, all original, I like to add Lyman steel aperture sights and therefore I like the two factory supplied holes in the receiver for such sights.
My 1954 94 32 Win Special is worth more than $600 to me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I'd say at $600, you give him the money and thank him for loaning you the gun.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Winchester began d&t M94’s for a receiver mounted peep as a standard feature at serial # 1,920,000 (1952).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Depends on condition.

Can you post a photo?

This.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
BwanaND Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Not sure how to post a pic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish I could help. I've never figured it out either.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I use an iPad and have been unable to post single pics in any of the forums except the Image Gallery where I am able to post multiple images....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If the bore is good, I would buy it at that price. Order a case of 170 grain CoreLokts (200 rounds) and you will be good to go for the rest of your days.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
easy to get 2200 fps with the 170 gr'ners out of a 94 winny carbine, wish I would never sold my flat band!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be willing to spend $600 if it was in great shape, but not if bubbaed or neglected. I'm partial to the .32 over the .30-30, but there is no real difference. Well there didn't used to be, but now the factory ammo is a lot more expensive.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If the gun is in good original shape that is a fair price.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Depends on condition.

Can you post a photo?

This.

Yep. Pictures would be nice. I damn near bought a 1942 model 94 32 winchester a few minutes ago. The local gunshop just took it in today and the owner told me she would take $700.00 for it. It's in all original condition. To me, the OP's rifle is a steal at $600.00 if its all original. However, I don't know exactly what they are worth/selling for in todays market...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
If the bore is good, I would buy it at that price. Order a case of 170 grain CoreLokts (200 rounds) and you will be good to go for the rest of your days.

I sure hope he lasts longer than 200 rounds... Ha ha.. I burned up more than 300 rounds earlier today, with practice and a competition. Just sayin...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300 rounds out of a 94 in one day sounds more like work than fun.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

The Lever Evolution powder is the way to go on the 32 special. I use the
165gr Hornady tipped bullets.

E
E
Picked up a sweet '94 Carbine in 32 Special at the Winchester Gun Show in Cody, Wyoming last weekend. What kinds of load suggestions would you folks recommend?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A little off topic, but sometimes I think we worry a bit too much about "value?, is it worth it?, good deal or not?", especially about vintage items. Even when it is a buyer's market, there are only so many old rifles to be had. The number gets smaller the better the condition you want, or specific caliber, configuration, or date of manufacture. So, I say grab the great deals if you know they are great deals, but don't pass up something you have always wanted unless the deal is just stupid out of line. Suppose I pay $1500 for something that "the market" says is worth $1200. So, I paid 25% too much. But it is $300, not paying $150K for a $120K house. In a couple of years (assuming it is old to start with and I don't change the condition), maybe it is worth $900, $1200, $1500, or $1800. Who knows? Point is, if I am getting and enjoying something I always wanted, within reason, who cares? If I can afford it, I don't.

Now, what IS kinda of silly is paying too much for commonly available new stuff because you haven't done your research. I sometimes do that too, but in order to support local family owned businesses.

Just a thought. You may not agree.

Back to the original topic, I inherited a 1948 '94 .32 Special, "flat band." Condition is a mixed bag. It was standing on the butt during some sort of minor household flood (before it came to me.) The wood is not too bad, swollen a very minor amount, and the original butt plate has some rust. Rest of the wood and bluing are pretty nice. It is D&T for a one-piece side mount of unknown brand that holds an old El Paso Weaver K2.5. The mount has "U 3" stamped on it if that means anything to a more knowledgeable reader. Even worse, as for the D&T, it is not the common Weaver side mount hole pattern. If it were, that might prove marginally useful. Either the mount had to be "bent" around the scope or the ocular (eyepiece) had to be removed to install the mount. I think it was the latter. The scope is not clear and has some sort of dirt on the inside. Someone ground on the ears of the rear sight and the corner of the hammer to clear the scope. (Dammit! Really?!) Weirdest thing is the front sight ramp (part of the barrel forging in 1948) is offset like the barrel wasn't quite indexed correctly. One might think someone backed the barrel off a "scosh" to help the rear sight clear the scope. But the extractor cut lines up, which argues against that idea. I contacted an expert from the national Winchester Collectors Association (whatever it is called) about the barrel indexing. He told me I must be mistaken until i sent him some pictures. He agreed I wasn't nuts, but allowed as how he had never seen such before.

So, let's just say it is definitely "shooter grade" if you are someone who really loves the .32 Special.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/17/18.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get your point about over paying. I once bought a Marlin 336A in .35 Remington that I still have. The rifle is an uncommon but not rare one. It was priced as if it was in top condition, but the exterior was slightly beat up including poorly done d&t for a scope. It was one the rack, I wanted one, and I had the money. I haven't regretted it yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 62 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.