Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Gus
... what we need now is a good story to help extricate ourselves from this mess?

Mess?...what mess?...Hinduism considers it all an illusion (Maya) as does Buddhism.

if ya think all the birds, animals, and reptilians on the ark might have made an organic mess, just consider 7.2 billion humans and everyone of them crapping in their easter basket. the microbes are extra busy converting things from one organic form to another.

it's getting to the point that one can't swim in the waterways around here after a big rain.

(i realize easter is a pretty mystical term at it's root, but i thought i'd throw it in for good measure. the kitchen sink comes later).

Last edited by Gus; 07/17/18.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Starman - this branch of the discussion is a fun exercise. Thanks for playing along...

Originally Posted by FreeMe
I think it's reasonable to admit that people of the time who lived near water at some point in their life
may have seen or used at least canoes...

So also safe to assume Adam & Eve had a canoe?..since Genesis mentions 4 rivers associated with the garden of Eden.
Genesis 2:10
" And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads."

if boating wasn't part of their lifestyle, id say they were not making the most of things... grin

I have to believe that anyone who's lived hundreds of years and has access to bodies of water would not have passed up the opportunity to do some boating. The thought of doing otherwise, to me, is sacrilegious. wink

Seems God doesn't trust Noah to have the fundamental sound knowledge of boat building...for he had to
specifically tell him the type of timber and about requirement to tar the structure:

Genesis 6:14
"Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch".

My specific contention is regarding the shape of the boat and strength of joinery. No doubt, Noah or anybody would have needed instruction on materials and other things for something that size. But hull shape and how it behaves are pretty basic things that apply to all sizes.

I also think it's reasonable to expect that they could know a rounded and faired hull wouldn't get slapped around
like a flat bottom and flat side, and would be stronger as well. It ain't rocket science - for anyone who's been around various boats.

Anyone who's 'been around various boats' in Noahs time likely wouldn't need be told what specific timbers or about taring the inside/out
of the hull...If Noah don't already know that, then it don't seem wise to safely assume he knew of the best basic hull shape for the task.

Size matters. Look at today's modern canoes vs a WW2 battleship. I'm no naval architect, but I can build a canoe out of materials I am familiar with. That's no big thing. We know some pretty primitive people have managed it quite well. Having no need for my own battleship, and having never seen one, I could go a few hundred years without ever figuring that out. To build or design one, I would need a lot of help - beginning with some schooling in the properties of steel.

Again, it's the shape of the hull I am focusing on. That box idea might make sense to a bean counter, but it makes no sense to a person who spends a lot of time in boats - even boats with no rudder.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will somebody holler at me when the ark questions are answered?

I’m anxious to get started on Jonah and the whale.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Best just get on with it, this thing isn't going to be resolved in lifetime. So, 3 days in the belly of a large fish, you say...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

The story of Jonah and the story of Noah are very different. The story of Jonah can be explained simply as a miracle. No natural explanation required.

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"To build or design one, I would need a lot of help - beginning with some schooling in the properties of steel.

"Again, it's the shape of the hull I am focusing on. That box idea might make sense to a bean counter, but it makes no sense to a person who spends a lot of time in boats - even boats with no rudder.
-------------------------------------
It was a miracle!!! God even gave Noah the detailed plans for the 16,000 horsepower diesel engine he used to propel the ark and keep it pointed into the wind and waves. IIRC, the plans also included details for the twin props.

I know this is true because the Reverend Billy Bob told me so (he of the Righteous, Holiness, Divine, Eternal, Almighty Church of God and other Creatures).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Ringman
As for whether the original ocean was salty or fresh, the thing is that there are forms of marine life that can only live in the one, or the other due (among other things) to the problem of osmoregulation.

Apparently you have not read enough about adaptation.

I have read quite a lot about it. What adaptation would be required for an animal adapted exclusively to living in salt water to move to fresh, or vice versa? Consider in your answer the structural differences between salt-adapted vs fresh-adapted creatures. How would that be achieved , in the timescale of the Great Flood? If the animals have existed unchanged since Creation, how is this adaptation achieved? And if they are changed since Creation, isn't that evolution?.

The animals alive at the time of the Flood were only about 1,700 years away from near perfection. They had a tenth of the mutations animals have now. The animals alive today are about 4,500 years since the Flood. Much of their adaptability has been lost.

Since you are locked into the present you don't seem to be able to conceive things have not always been the way they are now. Therefore I will not respond further.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
True. But if without evidence of otherwise, I'm going to assume that people of Noah's time weren't as ignorant as most people think. And I'm going to assume that God allows some logic to be applied.

It appears you and I might agree on their intelligence. But maybe not. I am convinced the smartest of us today, if somehow time traveled to anti-diluvium time, would be put in a mental institution for the mentally impaired. The folks alive would feel sorry for the poor soul.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
"To build or design one, I would need a lot of help - beginning with some schooling in the properties of steel.

"Again, it's the shape of the hull I am focusing on. That box idea might make sense to a bean counter, but it makes no sense to a person who spends a lot of time in boats - even boats with no rudder.
-------------------------------------
It was a miracle!!! God even gave Noah the detailed plans for the 16,000 horsepower diesel engine he used to propel the ark and keep it pointed into the wind and waves. IIRC, the plans also included details for the twin props.

I know this is true because the Reverend Billy Bob told me so (he of the Righteous, Holiness, Divine, Eternal, Almighty Church of God and other Creatures).

laugh

This is why I don't get sucked into a debate over all the details of Old Testament doctrine. Arguments you can't win, either way. The question of what the Ark may have looked like is more of an academic exercise, without so much drama. wink

Going back the photo in the OP, I think those folks in Kentucky may be on to something with that design. In wind and waves, you wouldn't want something that would be blown sideways and fall off the peaks sideways. If you've spent much time in canoes, you know what I mean. That design looks to be self- aligning in wind and waves (to some degree). The near end would not be the "bow".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True. But if without evidence of otherwise, I'm going to assume that people of Noah's time weren't as ignorant as most people think. And I'm going to assume that God allows some logic to be applied.

It appears you and I might agree on their intelligence. But maybe not. I am convinced the smartest of us today, if somehow time traveled to anti-diluvium time, would be put in a mental institution for the mentally impaired. The folks alive would feel sorry for the poor soul.

I certainly wouldn't argue against that.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldHat

The story of Jonah and the story of Noah are very different. The story of Jonah can be explained simply as a miracle. No natural explanation required.

[quote=OldHat][quote=curdog4570]Will somebody holler at me when the ark questions are answered?

If Im gonna believe ol Jonah’s story explaining where he was in the missing three days, how can I call bullschidt on the Az guy who was captured by Alien Beings and was missing for a couple days?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As for whether the original ocean was salty or fresh, the thing is that there are forms of marine life that can only live in the one, or the other due (among other things) to the problem of osmoregulation.

I have read quite a lot about it. What adaptation would be required for an animal adapted exclusively to living in salt water to move to fresh, or vice versa? Consider in your answer the structural differences between salt-adapted vs fresh-adapted creatures. How would that be achieved , in the timescale of the Great Flood? If the animals have existed unchanged since Creation, how is this adaptation achieved? And if they are changed since Creation, isn't that evolution?.

The animals alive at the time of the Flood were only about 1,700 years away from near perfection. They had a tenth of the mutations animals have now. The animals alive today are about 4,500 years since the Flood. Much of their adaptability has been lost.

Since you are locked into the present you don't seem to be able to conceive things have not always been the way they are now. Therefore I will not respond further.

Oh I see. What you are saying is that species today are different from those in existence at the time of the Creation. They have adapted, as you say. You say that this has occurred by way of mutations, changing them over time over time, from what they originally were to what they are now.

In other words, what you are saying is that they've evolved.

Thanks for playing! smile

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldHat

If Im gonna believe ol Jonah’s story explaining where he was in the missing three days, how can I call bullschidt on the Az guy who was captured by Alien Beings and was missing for a couple days?

Because both claims and not viewed in isolation. I don't decide to believe in Jonah's story as an isolated story. I believe in the Bible because of a very large collection of evidence for the existence of God I'm sifted through during my entire life.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Oh I see. What you are saying is that species today are different from those in existence at the time of the Creation. They have adapted, as you say. You say that this has occurred by way of mutations, changing them over time over time, from what they originally were to what they are now.

In other words, what you are saying is that they've evolved.

Thanks for playing! smile

You are trying to conflate mice to men evolution with adaptation. I'm not buying it. Adaptation was written about by Blyth a decade prior to Darwin changing it to "survival of the fittest" in his book. He didn't tell us from where the fittest came. Blyth did. Mutations take things in the wrong direction for mice to men evolution.

Everything alive at creation was vegetarian. You seem to miss the idea of the Creator making everything vegetarian and then changing some animals to carnivores later; including men.

Everyday Hunter
Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

No doubt, Noah or anybody would have needed instruction on materials and other things for something that size...

anybody?...you mean everyone was ignorant regarding building ships in those times?

Do Arks require different timber to other various size ranging vessels that you say Noah would have already known about?
( check: you were referring to Noah when you said it aint rocket science for....'Anyone who's 'been around various boats'.....??)

Was pitching-taring hulls exclusive to Arks....??.... Noah over centuries [of being around boats]
would have seen numbers of various size vessels that had been tared...?

I think it's safe to assume that Noah had knowledge of proper boat construction. .

but not 'materials and other things' required for proper boat construction?
that sounds illogical.

...Size matters....

...Again, it's the shape of the hull I am focusing on. .

I am using LOGIC [which you made a point of] when I said; If Noah doesn't even know to tar a hull how would he
then know which geometry of hull to use?

If he's was suppopsedly around various type vessels for centuries how can he know one, but not the other?
after all, none of that ranks as rocket science as you say.

. And I'm going to assume that God allows some logic to be applied.

The fact God didnt tell him which hull design to use, does not logically mean Noah already knew.
It could just mean God knew that Noah of his own accord, would have the intelligence to seek out
those experienced shipwrights that did.

God knew precisely what he knew and didn't know before issuing the task.

I also think it's reasonable to expect that they could know a rounded and faired hull wouldn't get slapped around
like a flat bottom and flat side, and would be stronger as well. It ain't rocket science - for anyone who's been around various boats.

Again you expect Noah to already know about the correct hull design , but not something as basic as taring.
that seems rather illogical.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs

It was a miracle!!! God even gave Noah the detailed plans for the 16,000 horsepower diesel engine he used to propel the ark
and keep it pointed into the wind and waves. IIRC, the plans also included details for the twin props.

With todays evangelists ordering new executive jets, Id have thought God would at least have come up
with a silent propulsion stealth drive for the Ark together with gyro-stabilsation for the hull.. smirk
Of course God could have just caused it to rain and killed the winds which were rocking the ark around..

ITs probably a good thing our technology was not around in Adam & Eves day...

Imagine God giving Adam a badass big horsepower bass boat with all the waterways to himself....but
telling him its only catch and release....cause you are not allowed to eat animal protein... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually. I recall a documentary quite a few years ago, where they built a model to the scale specs of the Ark, and subjected it to simulated 60foot waves. It was the most stable design they tested.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No doubt, Noah or anybody would have needed instruction on materials and other things for something that size...

anybody?...you mean everyone was ignorant in those times?

Do Arks require different timber to other various size ranging vessels that you say Noah would have already known about?
( check: you were referring to Noah when you said it aint rocket science for....'Anyone who's 'been around various boats'.....??)

Was pitching-taring hulls exclusive to Arks....??.... Noah over centuries [of being around boats]
would have seen numbers of various size vessels that had been tared...?

...Size matters....

...Again, it's the shape of the hull I am focusing on. .

I am using LOGIC [which you made a point of] when I said; If Noah doesn't even know to tar a hull how would he
then know which geometry of hull to use?

If he's was suppopsedly around various type vessels for centuries how can he know one, but not the other?
after all, none of that ranks as rocket science as you say.

. And I'm going to assume that God allows some logic to be applied.

The fact God didnt tell him which hull design to use, does not logically mean Noah already knew.
It could just mean God knew that Noah of his own accord, would have the intelligence to seek out
those experienced shipwrights that did.

God knew precisely what he knew and didn't know before issuing the task.

Again you expect Noah to already know about the correct hull design , but not something as basic as taring.
that seems rather illogical.

Ack. Now you're just being argumentative. Makes no difference to me whether Noah had the knowledge, was given the kknowledge, hired the knowledge or figured it out on his own. I'm just speculating on the possibilities. My point is simply that the box-boat doesn't make biblical, historical, or logical sense; and the shape of the replica in Kentucky does, That's all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
Actually. I recall a documentary quite a few years ago, where they built a model to the scale specs of the Ark, and subjected it to simulated 60foot waves. It was the most stable design they tested.

So, what designs did they test? My experience tells me to bet it looked something like an old school whitewater tripping canoe.

Starman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Ack. Now you're just being argumentative..

No, I am just pointing out how you contradict yourself.

people who contradict themselves are actually arguing with themselves.

. I'm just speculating on the possibilities..

saying that its 'safe to assume' things doesn't equate to just speculation.

speculation is just conjecture.
safe to assume means a person is confident in their theory.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.