Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Trust me I’ve had the 1-5x24, 2-10x42 and 3-15x44 all FIREDOT and one 2-10x42 regular Duplex reticle and all were basically identical. They are all much wider spaced PLEX than what Leupold shows you on their website.

Last edited by nuguy; 07/13/18.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ok, thanks

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those perhaps interested, this youtube video in about the VX-5HD 2-10x.

At 3 minutes (best to start just previous to that time) it shows the and I quote "standard duplex........with a dot" which is my preference and how to adjust it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDTPvLubDx0

This way any confusion on what I THINK it is, or is not, can be eliminated as all can decide for themselves.
Regardless if Leupold's "name for it" is correct or not, it is fine as far as a type of DUplex (not PLEX..??) it is. No circles, no MOA dots/hash marks etc. Wider posts and narrower crosshairs.. (aka a duplex)......with a lighted dot. HOWEVER wide it is....is a moot point to me.

I apologize that this got off subject of the questions asked.

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/13/18.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I liked the glass in the VX-5 HD, but the reticle was not what I was wanting at the time. I really like the firedot duplex in the VX-R series, so when the 5HD was introduced, I called Leupold with some questions. I was told not once but TWICE by Leupold that the firedot duplex in the 5HD would be identical that that in the VX-R 3-9x50. My questions regarding glass quality and how the 5HD compared to the VX-6 were answered with vague generalities that sounded almost scripted. Anyway...I went ahead and ordered one -- and was met with pure disappointment when I opened the box. I sold it shortly thereafter. It is indeed starkly different from the duplex in the VX-R and is a fairly thin version of a wide duplex, with significant spacing between the heavy portions of the horizontal bars. I'll see if I still have an image of the reticle or can find one, but it looks nothing like the graphic Leupold uses.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you. As said, I've seen one in person. Wide or not wide, it is acceptable to me for my uses.

I'd much prefer "too" wide and too fine to one that's the opposite. The only thing I was unable to do was look through it at anything at a distance. I've yet to have an issue seeing duplex reticles during legal shooting times for more than a half century.

Since on a rifle, pointing it out the window with people walking by was not an acceptable choice hence the questions on actual dot size at distances.

Thanks.
God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/13/18.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Leupold 3-15x44 Firedot Duplex Illustration on the box it came in.

[Linked Image]

Photo of the actual reticle.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I can live with thinner reticles WHEN there’s illumination. I do like the VX-R reticles, and the glass is nothing to sneeze at for comparing to other stuff. A BX5 with illum is likely a good bit better, but I wouldn’t step over a deal on a VX-R just to pay more in most uses.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steve,

I purchased a VX6 with a Firedot. The price on the scope was a steal and it just happened to have the Firedot. I didn't really care one way or another at first; however, after using it I don't think I would purchase another scope without a lighted reticle. While I have never really had to much trouble with near dark shots with a regular reticle, the Firedot makes it very easy. I turn my dot on the lowest power and there is no glaring at all. I can simply see a tiny red dot where I need to aim. My brother used my rifle as well and he said the same thing - it's a neat thing to have.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again to all!

God Bless
Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
575 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.