Originally Posted by ShortMag11
OP glad this topic was brought up. I started off shooting these (110 TTSX) out of a Tikka 270WSM about 3 years ago. Loaded them in Nosler brass with 63grs IMR-4350 and WLRM. The first time to the range i put the first 4 shots in a jagged hole and the 5th less than a 1/2’’ Outside of the jagged hole. I knew at that point for sure that I had found my dream 270wsm load for whitetail. First (and only) season hunting with them i shot 7 whitetail in 2 different states. 2 of them i know where hit but could not recover, of the other 5 they all ran (not use to this shooting 270wsm 140gr factory ammo) and of those 5 only 2 of them left what i would consider a decent blood trail. 1 left a tiny pencil eraser sized droplets for over 100 yds up to a dead deer and the other 2 no blood whatsoever. Fortunately, both deer were recovered but neither had blood up until where the animal was laying dead. I cant seem to figure out what the problem is. My (older and more experienced) hand loading buddy seems to think the petals may have been breaking off of the bullet leaving only the core to exit and with only 2 holes the size of a pencil not much blood to be found. All animals were shot behind the shoulder or in the rib cage. No bullets were discovered. Strange

Randall

If they were shot such that the heart quit pumping, or if the heart was left intact bu the great vessels above the heart were hit it's kind of hard to expect more than that. I have had deer with a 3 inch hole all the way through both shoulders not leave a blood trail that could be followed. The longest run I have had with a Barnes bullet of any caliber did it after it left a handful of tissue (mostly heart) where it stood when I shot. There was almost no blood trail, and what there as consisted mainly of occasional wipes where the deer brushed against leaves or brush. I tend to shoot them just above the heart which typically makes for the heart being loose in the chest. I have had essentially zero blood trail a few times with very respectable holes through the deer and hide.