I like the shell deflector as I shoot left hand
[Linked Image]
shoots good enough with a 1X red dot at 100 yards with ball ammo
[Linked Image]
Have put 1000's of rounds down the tube
Run an oily patch down the barrel after each trip to the range
Clean the action and bolt every so often
Do these things wear out?

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 07/12/18.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, they do wear out.

Barrels are typically first, somewhere around 8k-15k rounds. Good bolts will make it 60-100k rounds. Upper receivers wear out somewhere between 250k and 500k rounds.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Yes, they do wear out.

Barrels are typically first, somewhere around 8k-15k rounds. Good bolts will make it 60-100k rounds. Upper receivers wear out somewhere between 250k and 500k rounds.

That's good to know. I'll bet AR10's don't have the lifespan of an AR15 either... ????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve seen some cheap stuff break, but actually just wearing out....?....I’ve seen an upper wear out where the charging handle locks in place.

And a lot of springs wear out. But that’s easily preventable from the get go. I just use aspirin I springs as soon as I build or buy.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, they do wear out.

I hate to disagree with you about the barrel round count, but I will.

I've personally had 2 barrels need replacement. One was an accurate but not too expensive nitride barrel with about 4500-5k rounds. It just opened up from sub-MOA to 1.5 MOA, so I replaced it.

The other was a pretty expensive Black Hole barrel. I replaced it at around 3500 rounds due to a bad chamber.

Of course everyone's mileage varies.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes they do. When in the AF I was in a our QC section for a while and was not assigned a rifle for that time. I used one that was used by everyone else who did not have an assigned weapon. I had to go qualify and after getting expert for years I barely qualified. A friend was assigned that very same rifle a few days late and had the same problem. He mentioned it to the CATM personnel, sure enough the barrel was shot out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Depending on your demands, I hear the AMU tosses Douglas around 2500 or 3500 rounds IIRC. I"ve not had a barrel get iffy until about 4000 rounds or so maybe a bit less. I"ve also shot em up the almost 13K rounds.

Rifle wearing out. I'd assume it has to at a point. We probably don't have any single gun that has over 150K rounds on it, but so far so good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Depending on your demands,

Thus gun has a handful of purposes, not necessarily listed in order:

1. Newbies love it at the range
2. It will help me clear out the many boxes of 5.56 ammo taking up space around the house without complaining
3. Tastes like freedom
4. Just because
5. Because the anti’s don’t want me to.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 07/15/18.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yes, they do wear out.

I hate to disagree with you about the barrel round count, but I will.

I've personally had 2 barrels need replacement. One was an accurate but not too expensive nitride barrel with about 4500-5k rounds. It just opened up from sub-MOA to 1.5 MOA, so I replaced it.

The other was a pretty expensive Black Hole barrel. I replaced it at around 3500 rounds due to a bad chamber.

Of course everyone's mileage varies.

Rock,

By your measure you are correct. The round counts I gave were barrels tested until the bullets started hitting the paper sideways.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle. Is that a factory barrel??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's an 18.5" factory HBAR with flutes, a 1:9 twist and a target crown. As I bought the gun used I have no way of knowing if the receiver left the factory with this barrel -- but the fit and finish is so good I believe that to be the case. The forearm is knurled aluminum that has a great feel. The Ace Skeleton stock is a well designed and engineered product that uses a foam sleeve over the buffer tube as the comb of the the stock. The gun runs very smooth with 10 round Bushmaster magazines. The Yankee Hill Machine Back Up Iron Sights are good but not great and they too came with the gun.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 07/16/18.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's an 18.5" factory HBAR with flutes, a 1:9 twist and a target crown. As I bought the gun used I have no way of knowing if the receiver left the factory with this barrel -- but the fit and finish is so good I believe that to be the case. The forearm is knurled aluminum that has a great feel. The Ace Skeleton stock is a well designed and engineered product that uses a foam sleeve over the buffer tube as the comb of the the stock. The gun runs very smooth with 10 round Bushmaster magazines. The Yankee Hill Machine Back Up Iron Sights are good but not great and they too came with the gun.

Looks like a factory Bushmaster Vmatch upper. I have one with the 16" Hbar chrome lined barrel. I have at least 5k rounds down the tube and it's still going strong.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The A2 I used at recruit training in 94 sounded like it had marbles in it when it moved. Finish was down to the anodize on all high points, a rattle trap.
I still shot 10 for 10 from the 500.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I lived in a state that suppressed my second amendment rights I would move. Next the only thing I would worry about wearing out is the lower receiver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than the 10 rd mag - what makes it NJ legal?? (What dumbazz things did the politicians come up with to keep us "safe")

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
If I lived in a state that suppressed my second amendment rights I would move. Next the only thing I would worry about wearing out is the lower receiver.

Why would a lower wear out faster than an upper?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good looking rifle. I really like that forearm.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.