Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just came back from a great family vacation. I had never been to Montana (been to many other Rocky Mtn states) and decided to go further North by heading to Waterton Lakes and Banff in Alberta. This was my first time into Canada. My initial impressions were:

1) The Canadians seem to love rainbows (gay pride everywhere); Maybe just the locations we visited.
2) They can't figure out if they want to be like the European or American. The metric system sucks when you're used to imperial. What's up with the insanely slow speed limits? There's nothing like driving through Montana and Idaho and then coming to a screeching halt when you hit Canada.
3) The Canadian areas we visited were very clean and well maintained. I was impressed by this. It was a shame to come back into the US above Bonners Ferry, ID and seeing trash everywhere below the Idaho sign.
4) Prices of fuel and food in Canada were extremely expensive.

With that said, this is continual confirmation that there's no other place I'd rather live than the U.S.A. We need to wake up and take better care of what we have here. That includes the litter around state welcome signs. The trash was also noticed years ago when entering Utah. All in all, it was a good trip. Now for more excursions inside the U.S.A.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We took nearly this same vacation nearly 20 years ago. We also noticed a stark difference between the litter in the U.S. and Canada. No gay pride stuff in sight back then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The tourist towns tend to attract artsy fartsy types. Up here, Columbia Falls was a smelter and mill town, while Whitefish started its shift to tourism earlier when the RR started laying people off in the early 1980s. WF is now a Commie cesspool, while CF is transitioning with the closure of the aluminum plant 10 years ago and the mill cutting back like 50 percent staff wise.
Banff has always been oriented to tourist trade.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hear you, regarding the speed limits. We once travelled back from New York via Ontario. Not only were there speed limits of 90 Kmh on long stretches of remote highway, they slowed you down to 50kmh for construction sites located a hundred yards off to the side. Lately, I've noticed some of this ultra-safety attitude creeping into some of the north western states as well.
Anyway, after a couple days of this, we chose to drop back down into Michigan and travel the rest of the way south of the border. Out west, it's a bit better unless you happen to be in a National Park.
The metric system does suck. It's been forty years and I still have to convert values in my head in order for them to make any sense. GD

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always been impressed with Canada and the folks I've met up there... I could care less about the gay pride bullshiit and rainbow flags etc

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked with some Canadian biologists on the early "Crown of the Continent" proposals. When in the U.S, they drove rental cars like speed limits didn't exist. I would glance over at the speedometer and see 90, 95, even 100+ mph if there was no traffic. I assumed that they just weren't thinking about mph and kph being somewhat different, but they may have just been enjoying the freedom of the open roads in Montana. They certainly didn't drive that way in Alberta, though.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any area that's 100% tourist like Banff is going to be expensive. But the Banff/Lake Louise area is so stunningly, jaw dropping gorgeous that it's worth it. We rode the Rocky Mountaineer train there a year ago, and cannot wait to go back and do it again.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nothing against our northern cousins at all but I have no interest in going back. All I need is within the lower 48+ Alaska.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
Always been impressed with Canada and the folks I've met up there... I could care less about the gay pride bullshiit and rainbow flags etc

+1 Jud

We took that same trip about 15 years ago and the wife and I both noticed how little trash was along the roads in Canada and how the game crossing signs in the shape of a bull elk weren't all shot up.

What really blew me away is we stopped at a campground to stretch our legs a bit and there was a designated spot where a big supply of firewood was cut and split for use by campers. Nobody was even camping at this campground at the time. I mentioned to the wife, that back home, firewood left in a campground would have been cleaned out in a few hours, possibly minutes, by somebody wanting to sell it or pad their winter supply.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Judman

One of my favorite things is to listen to Canadian talk radio.

The people that call in are not complete dullards.

Canada must have good schools.

Canada is a great place to visit.

Good food, polite people and the country is pretty clean.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

just hard to beat the good ole USA !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut

This. It's got everything I need.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

My wife likes it here.

I don't think I could do what she did.....leave her country.

I like the hell out of Canada. It would sure be hard to leave Montana for good though.

Especially now since Canada shut down the homesteading around Peace River.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by devnull

This. It's got everything I need.

some of my local 'good ole USA'

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
I worked with some Canadian biologists on the early "Crown of the Continent" proposals. When in the U.S, they drove rental cars like speed limits didn't exist. I would glance over at the speedometer and see 90, 95, even 100+ mph if there was no traffic. I assumed that they just weren't thinking about mph and kph being somewhat different, but they may have just been enjoying the freedom of the open roads in Montana. They certainly didn't drive that way in Alberta, though.

If we see a B.C. plate or Oregon plate less than 10 MPH over the speed limit we assume the car is stolen or the driver is drunk.

Otherwise it is 20 to 30 over. They must throw the tickets away when they go home.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes. Albertans and Saskatcheweiners drive like hell.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Just back to Idaho after spending the week in BC. No complaints here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Prices more? How do you think their health care is "free". They've been dumbed down. Sorry Cannuks.

Last edited by wildbill59; 07/13/18.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gone to SE BC once or twice a year for the last 10 years or more. If I could afford it, I'd retire there.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 15 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.