-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Ballistic coefficient of a bolt is awful.

Weight foreword bolts are needed.

Heavy broadheads supply this feature without custom building of bolts...

That is why heavy broad heads are needed. Especially with slower .......older bows.

U will never regret shooting heavy in a crossbow, if you miss .....oh welll.

If you wound..............not so good heh?

Shoot your bow.........

And you will answer your own questions better than us internet Indians who shoot medivial horizontal ever could. IMO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new crossbow I got is so hard to cock that I can't do it !!!!

It's a Barnett Whitetail Hunter.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The new crossbow I got is so hard to cock that I can't do it !!!!

It's a Barnett Whitetail Hunter.

They make aftermarket cocking straps to make it easier, as well as crank winches. I've got one I've never used. (Was part of a trade) perhaps we should do business.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Barnett Whitetail Hunter C.B. came with cocking straps on it and I can't quite cock it with that.

Whats the make and model of those cranking winches?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've learned to use my legs and back to make cocking the crossbow easier. I use the cocking strap and am able to load the string pretty easily. I haven't tried it in a tree stand yet. I usually hunt from a ground blind. I have some balance issues from a heart condition and stay out of the trees.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The Barnett Whitetail Hunter C.B. came with cocking straps on it and I can't quite cock it with that.

Whats the make and model of those cranking winches?

Here are 2 options for barnett's (keep in mind, I have never needed one, so have not used either one)

https://youtu.be/QXirI2F-t3I

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can cock my 260lb Excalibur, but it's more effort than is good for my old back. No way I could pull it off in a tree, so I ponied up for the expensive crank made just for those bows. What a pleasure to use!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which crank did you get? I would want the one with the most mechanical advantage.

Last edited by Savage_99; 06/16/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This crank is designed just for the Excalibur Matrix Bulldogs; won't even fit the older Matrix models. I didn't mind the price as I look on this setup as a long-term purchase, unlike compound bows which seem to get replaced every few years.

Just for comparison, the cocking effort for the 260lb prod is 130lbs with the hand cocker. Effort on the crank supposed to be 12. Whatever it is it's easy.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have to agree with the above post. Due to my recent heart surgery, I had to buy one, and I looked at a lot of them, and got a Parker Thunder Hawk, due to its light weight and simplicity. To tell you the truth I shot long range rifle for a long time, both on my job and competition, so I also like the trigger on it. Anyway, shot a lot of various heads, but I like the Magnus Buzz Cut which is 125 grain, and with the bolt etc, I had more than enough weight, as recommended by the manufacturer. I killed a wild boar with it, in March, at 23 yards, that bolt went thru it so fast, it was crazy....... I think that would fly well out of your cross bow.......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got some 150 gr. field tips and will be getting the broadheads this week. I'm going to start with some fixed blade heads and see how it performs. It's early enough yet that if they don't fly the way I want, I can still experiment with mechanicals. I'm gonna go with the Slick Tricks, after some recommendations from other shooters.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My friend uses Slick Tricks, they are a no brainer, they fly well and have been proven in the field. I have shot some deer with my compound with them, they are a good head. I guess I am a bh junkie, in all reality, most of everything shoots well........ I still have some 150 grain Razor Caps, and they fly out of my xbow, like a rocket

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Got some 150 gr. field tips and will be getting the broadheads this week. I'm going to start with some fixed blade heads and see how it performs. It's early enough yet that if they don't fly the way I want, I can still experiment with mechanicals. I'm gonna go with the Slick Tricks, after some recommendations from other shooters.

The truth according to Dave:

I doesn't make a damn bit of difference what you shoot for an arrow and broadhead as long as it's accurate out of your crossbow.. You have more than enough power to drive the minimum weight arrow and head through the chest of any deer that walks the ground in Minnesota.

I shoot an Excalibur Matrix 330 because it is simple, idiot proof, can be maintained without a bow shop pro required to do the work. I shoot Full Metal Jacket arrows because they are a little heavier and a lot tougher, I have killed deer with Rage 2 inch mechanicals using black collars, red collars and O rings I picked up at Menards. All worked flawlessly. I have killed a few deer with Plain jane 3 blade muzzys. They worked flawlessly. I have killed deer with 3 blade NAP thunderheads. They worked flawlessly. I have killed deer with 4 blade NAP Doublecross Spitfires. They all worked flawlessly.

The deer have gone 6 feet for the shortest run and over a mile for the longest. I very particularly shot one deer just above the heart with a 2 inch Rage and it started to bleed well after about 30 yards and made it just over 200 yards pumping out huge spurts of blood after it started. There was now blood for the first 30 because it took that long to pressurize the chest. The mile plus deer jumped the string a little and was hit because of that a little farther back than I like. It was still a double lung hit. That one bled well the entire way. I could follow the blood with a flashlight as fast as I could walk and if I could still run I could have followed that fast.. I hit one dead center of the off side ball joint between the scapula and humerus splitting it into 3 equal parts and it still protruded 8 inches out the off side with a NAP Thunderhead. I have put half a dozen right through the heart. I have put a like number through both lungs.

I cannot begin to predict which is better. I cannot begin to predict how far they will go after the hit. The best I can tell you is that you have plenty of power to drive a large 2/4 blade mechanical through any deer, so make sure you cut as big a hole as you can. Closer is better, As fast as 300 FPS is, even a deer that looks relaxed and is feeding can still jump the string some. Probably not enough to cause a complete miss, but it can cause a bad hit. Use a lighted nock, in dim light it will show you where you hit. It won't fix a bad shot but knowing where the arrow went can be helpful, and if the arrow does not pass through it may well show you exactly where the deer went. Do not believe the BS about letting Bambi lie down to die after the shot! Every deer (with one exception) I have shot with a bow going all the way back to the '50s laid down once because it couldn't go further and died within seconds. The single exception was the deer that made it over a mile. She lay down the first time just past a mile later, I never was within 300 yards of her while on her trail. When I caught up with her she jumped and went another hundred yards within sightand went down again. I jumped her again and she went down 50 yards later and did not get up again. That one was so far outside the norm, making it that far while double lunged and bleeding that heavily it hardly represents anything to consider happening again.

When you run an arrow through Bambi's chest basically you have four actions working together to kill Bambi. First, is loss of blood, simple bleeding them out. Second, they should be filling the lungs with blood. Third, pressurizing the chest to blood pressure levels collapses the lungs and suffocates them. Lastly, the pneumo-thorax decreases the lung capacity with every breath and can eventually kill even without much blood.loss.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 3,153 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.