Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
j_elky Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll be on a muzzleloader elk hunt in northern Colorado in Sept. I have good rain gear but it is bulky. Is there such a thing as packable rain gear that works well?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My KUIU has been tops. Highly recommended!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Cabelas sell a set advertised as packable and it is. It's pricey and not very durable. I bought a set and they didn't last one hunting season. I If you kneel down in the grass,you get holes.Sage brush tears them apart.I bought the Bass Pro ones and have been using them three seasons now. Not quite packable,but you can stow them in your day pack.It's a trade off. Packable vs durability

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickBin
My KUIU has been tops. Highly recommended!

Rick,

do they only have one "packable" model? Other than some talk on here and some ads I'm completely clueless about their products. Which one do you have, if I might ask?

Thanks,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't know if it is still available, but I own a jacket and pants I bought from Cabelas in the mid '90's. It was called their Whitetail series, and has a soft poly outer with GoreTex lining. It packs down to a very small size, and has been worn on nearly every hunt I have been on for over 20 years now. Most durable outerwear I have ever owned. It can be worn in fairly warm weather, or layered up for colder conditions. It is indeed waterproof. I don't know if their current MT050 series is similar, but if it is, it is quality stuff.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
anything with goretex that you want to be water proof has been a joke to us. FWIW. New it works for an amount of time, but I don't have a single piece of gore that hasn't gotten us wet somewhere.

Hence when it matters I refuse to trust the stuff.

At home its fine, if it soaks through and it will, I can go home and get warm and dry.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.