Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Hoping for information on converting a 32 long rimfire to centerfire? Recently found a pretty nice early low wall in 3 rimfire but no ammo options. Without alteration can I just change the breech block? Where might I locate a breech block?

Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the bore's good, Bob Hayley of Seymore, TX makes reloadable brass and ammo.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks don't want to shoot it a ton will have to look into it. I was thinking 32 long colt?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
He makes cases from other brass, modified to take a nailgun blank. No modification to the gun required, and you can reload the cases yourself. Been a while since I saw an article about him, but the prices for ammo and cases were quite reasonable I thought. He doesn't do internet, so you'll have to look up his number and call. Don't dawdle; he's pretty old!

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There was an article on this guy and his "conversions" in "Handloader" magazine a couple of years ago. If I can find it, I'll post the issue it was in and his phone if it's there. Pretty neat and leaves your 'wall original.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That article is "Keeping Old Rimfires Burning" by Terry Wieland and is in the October 2011 (a COUPLE of years ago???) issue of "Handloader," #274. You might be able to get a back copy from Wolfe Publishing Co., the publisher of Rifle and Handloader. One of the two "old rimfires" he was interested in reviving was a Win 1885 Lowall in .32 RF trying to avoid rebarreling or altering it. I didn't find any contact info for Bob Hayley in the article.

You might try to contact Weiland at "Handloader" for Hayley's currrent status and contact info.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I found a source on the internet that has Bob Hayley in Texas at (940) 888-3352. It may be an old number but might be worth a try. His reloadable .32 Long cases weren't cheap but were everlasting with some care.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I would just convert the breech block to centerfire, or swap a CF one in. Then all you need to do is scrounge up a fist full of .32Long Colt cases. But the bugabear with either the .32LC or "reloadable" rimfire brass is the need then for a heeled bullet. I'm pretty sure NOE makes a mould for that heeled bullet. If not, check with the other mould makers.

If it were mine and it had no collector's value I would go a step further and line the barrel and chamber for .32 S&W Long. That would solve all the issues, not to mention that brass is waaaaay easier to find and everybody makes dandy bullet moulds for it. Nobody would ever notice the liner unless they looked closely at the muzzle.

There's a lot of plinking fun to be had with a .32 rifle. You may find yourself wishing for a big pile of cartridges to shoot once you start, and that may be problematic with the halfway measures involved in keeping the bore original for what may be no real good reason at all.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got an old .22RF low wall that I converted to .25-20. I had a liner installed and converted the firing pin to center fire. I used the gun to take a pretty nice buck, just to enjoy a old fashioned up close and enjoyable hunt. I would think you could convert yours to .32-20. It's fairly low pressure and brass is cheap and available from Starline Brass.

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Thats a nice one, congrats! I'd be in a conundrum whether to alter it to centerfire. I sure like shooting my low wall Winder musket.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I really do not know , but am just asking . . .
How hard is it to find another breech block alter it for centerfire and have a gun that could be returned to original configuration if one wanted/needed to?.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Larry Potterfield does a video on midway that shows how to do this, check it out on there web site

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.