Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Biscuits:

2 cups of Self Rising powder in a bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of Crisco, cut into the floor till it looks like a fine meal. Add 3/4 cup of buttermilk. Mix,

If it's a little damp, add a little more flour. Turn out onto a floured surface, fold/kneed once or twice, pat/roll out to the desire thickness and cut your biscuits.

Cook in a cast iron skillet in a 450 degree oven, about 10 mins.

This is how my family has cooked biscuits for generations. My sisters now use Crisco but I still like lard and we brush the tops with oil to brown them a bit more. A good strong cup of black coffee, them biscuits , fresh churned butter and a plate of sopp'n honey is hard to beat.

BP...

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah lard, cold butter all work. Biscuits are so simple to make.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the recipe......has to be better than the Bisquick my wife uses.

Yup.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Quite literally the most ubiquitous proletariat American food combo ever devised.

Proletariat.............................darn all this time I thought I was just plumb poor. grin

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I like the Betty Crocker biscuit recipe I have.

I like biscuits cut in half...not crumbled.

+1 for BC and halves. Wife likes Bisquick, easier, good thing I'm not picky. Haven't found a biscuit I haven't liked. Even like them when they get dry and hard.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Fry the sausage up in a few teaspoons of bacon fat, make a very loose roux, and use whole milk and half&half. Lots of fresh cracked pepper. Gravy should be smooth, not so thick you could hang wall paper with it or patch a dent with it.

Get a woman to make the biscuits. Preferably an old one. Somebody’s gramma.

Make sure the sausage is good. Bought a pound of some locally made, fancy azz , heritage pig type sausage in Oregon this winter. Schit tasted like potpourri. Was horrid.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spot on gravy directions MM

Keep your eye out for some Hill Meat Co sausage.
They only make link but you could squeeze the sausage out of the casings.

I recently started making my own breakfast sausage.....
I'll consider my quest a success if I even get close to Hills.

http://www.hillmeat.com/our-products/sausage/

Originally Posted by MadMooner

Make sure the sausage is good. Bought a pound of some locally made, fancy azz , heritage pig type sausage in Oregon this winter. Schit tasted like potpourri. Was horrid.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by wabigoon
FC, I know a few long words, you may need to translate for a simple overaged country boy.

Biscuits n’ gravy is as American as moms apple pie.

I'd rephrase this...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I always throw a bit of sage in my gravy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sage , onions, sausage, flour, and milk,

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Retry much like everyone else says, I use jimmy dean sausage and whole milk or half n half

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never cared for biscuits and gravy. Ive tried to like it and had it in several southern states but not a fan of concrete. Seems like a filler used in the absence of real food. If you ever see me eating biscuits and gravy and grits, please, do me a favor and get me some real food.

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/16/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
At grandma's house you didn't waste your bisquits putting gravy on them. Especially white gravy. At grandma's house bisquits were dessert. Smother them with blackberry jam or watermelon rind preserves.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my version of the egg gravey I posted about earlier. Decided to whip some up this morning.

3 scrambled eggs over 3 pieces of toast.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Owl; 07/16/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharp_things
Never cared for biscuits and gravy. Ive tried to like it and had it in several southern states but not a fan of concrete. Seems like a filler used in the absence of real food. If you ever see me eating biscuits and gravy and grits, please, do me a favor and get me some real food.

And by "real food" do you mean pureed Water Buffalo Bacon?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

And by "real food" do you mean ground and smoked Water Buffalo Bacon?

Yup. (fixed your error) Thanks for asking. Let me know if you have further question I can help you with. Water Buffalo is good food.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/16/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

And by "real food" do you mean pureed Water Buffalo Bacon?

Just don't answer the troll. The only way he can get a reply is by being an a-hole. He needs the attention. He is squirming because nobody is replying on the other websites either. Lmao

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of those simple dishes that done well is so good, when done poorly so disappointing.

I've been using Alton Brown's biscuit recipe, and I usually double it:

2 cups flour.
4 teaspoons baking powder.
1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
3/4 teaspoon salt.
2 tablespoons butter.
2 tablespoons shortening.
1 cup buttermilk, chilled.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

It's key with biscuits to work the dough as little as possible and have the butter as cold as possible.

For the gravy I cook up sausage or bacon, remove and add 1T butter and evoo and then 1/4 c flour and brown the rue. Then add in milk to thicken, a pinch of salt and a healthy amount of freshly ground black pepper.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

You stupid fuucking idiot..... this coming from a dum dum that thinks “pressed” hamburger is “bacon”.... good lord I gotta think you’re trying to be stupid..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
B&G and grits is not good food for shemales

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

We'll get you a freaking clue at the same tiime.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.