Print Thread
Hop To
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m looking for something faster than my balance scale for times when I’m loading 20+ of a given load. Anyone used the RCBS? If so, is it accurate, reliable, and would you recommend it?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the Chargemaster (original) for quite a few years now and the Lite for 5 months or so. For my reloading methods, they work great and no problems to-date. They reconfigured the dispenser geometry on the Lite and it seems to minimize over-charges. I have an insert in the original and for the most part over-charges have been eliminated. Two units keeps me moving while reloading.

While the two 50 gram weights are needed for the calibration, I bought some lab certified weights to verify the scale reading down in the typical charges I throw...2 to 5 grams is what I typically check against. Both units have given feedback weights inline with the standards with no signal wandering.

Just remember to close the emptying spout after removing powder from the hopper...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They work very well I can do 100, 06 size in twenty minutes.

[Linked Image]

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great, thanks all. I’ll be on the lookout for a good deal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had mine for 7 months now and could not be happier with its accuracy and reliability. So far, I have used it with Ramshot TAC, Big Game and Hunter (all spherical powders), along with Varget, H4350, and H4831 (both SC and regular long stick version). Probably just me, but I do prefer using the Chargemaster with stick powders and my Redding 3BR with ball powders, as I still enjoy throwing light and trickling up to weight on my old RCBS 505 or newer M1000 scale. Less chance of getting powder granules in the load cells on my digital scales.

With respect to accuracy, it consistently throws to well below their 1/10th of grain published accuracy standard; usually under .06 grain if not the exact weight. I use a GemPro 250 to occasionally check powder throws. In my last reloading session with H4350, I had only one over-charge in 30 rounds and have had several sessions with no over-charges. The Chargemaster Lite It is easy to calibrate and I have never had to re-calibrate it in the same reloading session. Yes, I would recommend it.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What the heck - Chargemaster Lite - I missed the memo!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by prm
Great, thanks all. I’ll be on the lookout for a good deal.

Any updates

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ordered one from Midsouth

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Keep us updated on your likes and dislikes

IC B3

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Used it for the first time today. I still need comfortable with calibration and using it in general, but I really like it. I weighed a few on my balance and they were right on. Really does speed things up. Dumping the remaining powder out is a little more effort, but well worth it.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but I want some input from all the sages on 24hrcf. I've had mine for almost 2 years. I haven't really used it much until this fall. I'm running Big Game powder (to be a cool kid with my 7-08) and it's often throwing charges that are significantly over. BG powder is like water, in a sense, and the scale seems to not slow down soon enough, the powder keeps flowing and it's over charged(.3 to a whole grain).

Any help, input, etc would be welcomed.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NTG
Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but I want some input from all the sages on 24hrcf. I've had mine for almost 2 years. I haven't really used it much until this fall. I'm running Big Game powder (to be a cool kid with my 7-08) and it's often throwing charges that are significantly over. BG powder is like water, in a sense, and the scale seems to not slow down soon enough, the powder keeps flowing and it's over charged(.3 to a whole grain).

Thanks

Have you tried the straw in the nozzle. A poster on Accurate reloader forum sells a brass insert for the charge master. Works great in mine. Also I find a bullet that weighs close to the charge I’m throwing. Use as a check weight. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by NTG

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about weighing the charges at all once my BR-30 powder measure was set.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
To the OP, that straw trick works great, and the brass insert mentioned works even better. I use the brass one personally, but when using Big Game powder, if I"m loading 47g lets say, I program the throw for 46.5g and more often than not it will land on 47g anyway because it meters so freely, as you say. If it's a little short, a quick trickle fixes that. Works good for me anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EBay has the chargemaster inserts. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I appreciate the feedback. Supposedly RCBS fix the tube on this vs the original chargemaster. In theory I shouldn't need a straw / adapter.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
For any interested I emailed RCBS to see if I could slow down the pour rate, or do something else to help with the situation. That was Monday, the response yet.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Update. RCBS and I have been back and forth via email over the last weeks. I've tried all they suggested. Most recently they had me wipe everything down with a new dryer sheet, and only use the pan that was sent with the scale. Here's the results, and like the last time I tested it, I was just running powder not loading cartridges. For those that haven't read prior posts, this is with Big Game powder (it meters like water, and will still flow once the tube stops turning, hence the over charges). t's 25 total, scale set to drop 47gr:

5 @ 47
2 @ 47.1
4 @ 47.2
5 @ 47.3
8 @ 47.4
1 @ 47.5

This time it wasn't as off as before. The variation is less, but I still don't like it off by a half a grain. In my prior trial I only had one that was dead on. In short it's great with most powders, but as of yet, "water-like" powder doesn't work on mine. RCBS has tried to help, but they're slow with emails. I sent the above results on 10/17 and haven't had a reply as of yet. Maybe they're off hunting (imagine that) or short on staff. This emailing started w/ them a few days after I reached out to them on the website approx 10/3. It's a bit hard to call them when I work full-time and their hours are 7-4p (PST). Anyway I thought I'd send you all an update.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.