Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
CCI has released three Segmented loads for the .22LR within the last year.

CCI Quiet-Segmented
CCI Subsonic-Segmented
CCI MiniMag HP- Segmented

I can't speak to the Quiet load, but the Subsonic loads kill REAL well, I've shot four pesky coons with them so far this month, and all of them died on the spot.

I can only guess that the MiniMag variation will do the same, since it's going faster. I DO know it's more accurate than the regular MM HPs, which I've shot side-by-side.

I live sorta "in town" (small town, 20K), but I do have a lot of neighbors, and raccoons. I try to keep things discreet, the Subsonics help in that regard. I've had poor results with the Quiet solids, so I've not tried the Segmented variety (and haven't seen them for sale locally, either), but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Subsonic Segmented ammo for the occasional coon in the backyard. No drama, just a quick, uneventful death.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the Quik-Shok segmented for about 5 years now. Its the same segmented hollow point design but it's a 32 grain pill rated at 1640. Basically a segmented CCI Stinger.

It's my round of choice to dispatch any small vermin out back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sold on the subsonic segmented on trapped coons and free-roaming jackrabbits.......

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
The Quiet loads will make a collared dove look like a dandelion in the wind at 35 yards.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Happily, I found some more Segmented MiniMags today. Danged old Whittaker's, anyway grin. I should have bought some more Subsonic Segmented, too, but I don't rack up huge numbers of coons around here, so I've got enough of them for now.

Stepdaughter informs me that she saw two coons last night (and I saw one yesterday morning), so I expect to give the ammo another workout shortly. wink

Last edited by ratsmacker; 08/03/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Small town of 20K. Funny stuff. When I hear "small town" I'm thinking a couple hundred to 5K tops. I work in a small city of 10K and can't wait to get out of that congested hell hole at the end of the day.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Question: I assume that the subsonic bullets haven't exited and there hasn't been much blood outside the animal....if that's the case, it sounds like I need to get some for some indoor work.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
Question: I assume that the subsonic bullets haven't exited and there hasn't been much blood outside the animal....if that's the case, it sounds like I need to get some for some indoor work.

Nope, the coons I've shot bled like stuck hogs. I don't think I'd use them inside a building. Maybe a barn with a dirt floor.

Originally Posted by Blackheart
Small town of 20K. Funny stuff. When I hear "small town" I'm thinking a couple hundred to 5K tops. I work in a small city of 10K and can't wait to get out of that congested hell hole at the end of the day.

Compared to nearby towns, like Louisville, or Elizabethtown, it's a small town. When Ft. Knox was a full-blown military post, instead of the Army's HR headquarters, it was pretty big, too. I live within a mile of Knox, the woods nearby are now a busy haven for the trash pandas.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do you make hats out of them? Or sell the pelts?

Seems like there must be some value to them. I wouldn’t want to eat one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hides aren't worth anything any more, since the bunny-huggers went after the fur business. My uncle bought my girl cousin a car to drive to college back in the 1970s, when coon hides were worth $20-40 apiece, strictly with the money from the sale of coon hides. Those were the good old days.
Now, with there being no money in coon hides, they are just a pest that can transmit rabies or distemper to domestic pets, or eat chickens, eggs, etc. They are a nuisance around here, tearing into the garbage cans and dumpsters.

The older black folks around here seem to think they make a good BBQ, though I haven't tried it myself. My uncle said the meat was pretty greasy and 'unappetizing' to him.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get $10 for a small coon and $15 for a large one, with the hide on. If I have to skin it, the price goes up $5. Sell all the coons I can catch, in the fall and winter, to the local blacks.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (450yukon, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 24 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.