Campfire Regular
Anybody been there hunting elk?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yup.
LOTS of grizzlies there too, so be careful. Mauling of both animals and humans are not very rare anywhere up,in that country.

Be prepared to walk a bit and do some climbing if you don't have permission to hunt the ranch lands.

I have been right on top and the winds will try to scrub you off the mountain at times. That can work to your advantage however, because it causes the elk to timber up and so they are not hard to find. Not a place I'd recommend for "easy hunting" but there are a lot of elk in that area. I would not recommend it if you are short of time, but if you have 7-10 days to hunt and pack meat it's a good area to kill elk.

If you have Horses or Mules it gets easier. Best to not hunt from their backs. Use them to get up high and to pack out meat, but hunt on foot. Make circles back to you animals of about 1-2 miles and you will cover a lot of ground and still not be far from a pack animal when you need one.

222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the reply, it sounds like I should find something a little tamer, I’m bringing my ten year old boy with on at least one trip. I’ll probably run down from ND for a couple 2 or 3 day hunts, maybe longer if things are going good. I know there is not many easy elk hunts on public land, but I had chemo and radiation last year and am not quite Superman anymore. Any idea if units 36,37,53,54,59,64,66,73,80,90,93,97,108, or 111 might be a better choice.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are in any of the wilderness areas you can't use motorized vehicles so horses, mules or backpacks are what you'd need. Elk are big, so packing them out on your back is not something a 10 year old would likely be able to do.
So.........horses?
Do you have any?
If not you may be better off trying a hunt in 66 97 111 and 108.

All the other areas you listed are in the back country and are as hard to get into and out of as 58 and some have even more bears. Those are the areas that you don't hunt "for a few days" It's a pack in an pack out type of hunt, or a foot hunt where you can dedicate several days to packing out the elk. I don't even try anymore without horses because the bears ALWAYS seem to take your elk before you get back from your first pack-out. It is common for me to see 2-3 bears every day when hunting there. Again, these are NOT the places you go "for the weekend"

Of those 4 I suggested above I have only hunted in 97. Good hunting there, but again you need to get up into the high country in the early days of the season. Later the elk may come down if water dries up in the high country, or if you get snow over 1 foot deep. This has been a wet year, so having them chaise the water is not going to happen in 2018 I'll bet.
Getting cold helps too. That's "back-pack country" but if you give it a good try you'll probably get an elk. I have, and it's work, but if you kill one high you at least have a down hill pack.. A few Grizzlies, but not many so they don't bother people much in that area as a rule.

My friend Was may be of some help in advising you in 66. He hunts up that direction every year. My guess is that 66 is going to be fairly easy compared to the wilderness areas, but you'll need to guidance to find the right place to go. It's a big area.
PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

Personally I have no knowledge of 108 or 111, but I know a man who hunts 124, which is just to the west of 108. So if you were to e-mail him it may be helpful. I can give you his e-mail too on the PM.
Hope it helps

Happy hunting

Note to all other readers, please chime in if you know anything about 108 or 111.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Areas 108 and 111 would be a far easier hunt. And would easily be doable with a kid in tow. 111 has some rough areas and 108 has a lot of private land which holds most of the elk. But neither are remote and could easily be hunted on foot and will not take a week to pack an elk out of. And neither have bears, which I consider to be a HUGE plus. Especially for a meat hunt.

IC B2

222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don’t have any horses and I’m not familiar with the access in Any of these units. I posted trying to find a unit that would hopefully have elk that were a little more accessible towards the end of season. I tried getting a tag in the second draw in Unit seven but was unsuccessful. Thanks for the responses.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a thought, there looks to be some leftover cow calf tags in the black hills in northeast WY which would cut out a considerable amount of driving from ND. I can’t speak to the densities of elk there. But something to consider.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that a NR hunting in designated Wilderness must be accompanied by a guide OR a resident that has registered with F&G to be with you. Can’t do it solo in Wilderness areas as a NR.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any suggestions on unit 66 or 108?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,675
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.