-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How do you like yours? Is it to long? Worth the extra velocity?

I'm thinking of getting one in 6.5 grendel for hunting to 400yds.

7mmRM the perfect North American cartridge!
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have two with that barrel length, one is labeled Remington and the other is a Huldra or Korstag.

The Remington is fairly light and I keep it handy to shoot coyote out to 250 yards or so. It is the one I tramp around with as it is the best balanced if not the lightest.

The other is pretty hefty but is also well balanced. It has all the bells and whistles I needed at a closeout price lower than the price of components. I shoot 75 gr HPs through for coyotes further out than the other handles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 6.5G is at its very best in a full length rifle. I do many at 22" but 24" is OK too. You gain very little from 22 to 24 however. Even 20 is fine.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have one, bought it as a kit, came with everything except the stripped lower, has a fluted Shaw match barrel, weighs about 12 lbs. Performance wise it is a tack driver, almost every type of ammo factory or handloads will shoot one inch groups.On average I get about 300 more feet per second velocity over my 16 inch barreled Ar.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've had a couple Colt CAR-15s with 24" barrrels (LONG time ago). Great guns and excellent for prairie dogs and never felt hindered by the extra barrel length. I ended up replacing them with carbines just because I prefer how they handle but, with the 224 Valkyrie out now, I'll probably go back to the 24" barrel in a 1/6.5 twist for the extra performance.

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by szihn
The 6.5G is at its very best in a full length rifle. I do many at 22" but 24" is OK too. You gain very little from 22 to 24 however. Even 20 is fine.

I agree, 24" is fine off the bench, but if you have to carry it or hunt with it, I prefer a 20"..... I liked my 24" Stag, but got rid of it and kept my 20" barreled AR's.. Didn't lose much in velocity or accuracy, but lost some weight and gained some maneuverability.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Freddy
I have one, bought it as a kit, came with everything except the stripped lower, has a fluted Shaw match barrel, weighs about 12 lbs. Performance wise it is a tack driver, almost every type of ammo factory or handloads will shoot one inch groups.On average I get about 300 more feet per second velocity over my 16 inch barreled Ar.

Freddy, did you shoot that in the black rifle challenge?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No I did not shoot it in the black rifle challenge, don't have any way of posting photos, don't have photo bucket.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Freddy
No I did not shoot it in the black rifle challenge, don't have any way of posting photos, don't have photo bucket.

Try Imgur. It works better than photobucket ever did...

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by szihn

I agree, 24" is fine off the bench, but if you have to carry it or hunt with it, I prefer a 20"..... I liked my 24" Stag, but got rid of it and kept my 20" barreled AR's.. Didn't lose much in velocity or accuracy, but lost some weight and gained some maneuverability.

This. Also have a 24" Stag (Shaw bull bbl) Heavy sumbitch, but only use it for bench and woodchucks.

[Linked Image]

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Accuracy Systems Inc. 24" 223 Wylde bull-barreled upper that I set up for ground hogs. Never used it - on ground hogs. Punched a lot of paper though. Has a 1/2" accuracy grantee, and it's that accurate, but it took some serious load testing to get it to happen. I don't reload 223/556 so finding a match grade 223 wasn't as easy as it should have been. Seems like a lot of the "match 223" on the shelves is just repacked crap, not actually match ammo. It's a bench or prone gun only, it's so heavy, and front heavy that carrying it on a sling is awkward. Cool thing is because of the weight, the recoil is negligible and watching your impact is easy, as are fast followup shots.

It's absolutely worth the extra velocity and accuracy, but I wouldn't call it a walk-around hunting gun in any caliber. A high quality AR with a 16-18" barrel today can spit out groups of 1" pretty easy. Adding three or more extra pounds and an additional $1000+ to get the group down to 1/2" isn't worth in my opinion for most game. If you like accuracy, and paper shooting or ground hogs, but all means, then yes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I have a Accuracy Systems Inc. 24" 223 Wylde bull-barreled upper that I set up for ground hogs. Never used it - on ground hogs. Punched a lot of paper though. Has a 1/2" accuracy grantee, and it's that accurate, but it took some serious load testing to get it to happen. I don't reload 223/556 so finding a match grade 223 wasn't as easy as it should have been. Seems like a lot of the "match 223" on the shelves is just repacked crap, not actually match ammo. It's a bench or prone gun only, it's so heavy, and front heavy that carrying it on a sling is awkward. Cool thing is because of the weight, the recoil is negligible and watching your impact is easy, as are fast followup shots.

It's absolutely worth the extra velocity and accuracy, but I wouldn't call it a walk-around hunting gun in any caliber. A high quality AR with a 16-18" barrel today can spit out groups of 1" pretty easy. Adding three or more extra pounds and an additional $1000+ to get the group down to 1/2" isn't worth in my opinion for most game. If you like accuracy, and paper shooting or ground hogs, but all means, then yes.

3, 5 or 10 shot groups? Sounds like a good candidate for the black rifle challenge here.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
5 shot groups at 100 yards after a few barrel warm up shots.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the clarification.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
They are over gassed, heavy and turn like a barge.

Accuracy depends on the barrel and such.

I have one and love it. I just stay with slightly faster powders. I also won't pack it very far. I shoot Coyotes off my back patio.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.