Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Online Happy
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a bag of Winchester brass (300 Win Mag) and 15 out of the 50 have cracks in the neck. Also, the shoulders are not properly formed. Terrible QC.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by lone wolf
It seems like when they switched over to white red and black bags, something changed and brass went down hill from there.
I still have a bunch of blue bag that is good stuff.

Nope. I got a bunch of crap in the blue bags for several cartridges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by lone wolf
It seems like when they switched over to white red and black bags, something changed and brass went down hill from there.
I still have a bunch of blue bag that is good stuff.

Nope. I got a bunch of crap in the blue bags for several cartridges.

+1

I’ve been saying for several years now that WW brass QC has gone to crap in several chamberings.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Started buying Prvi (aka PPU) brass when nothing else was available and so far it's been fine, every lot I've bought for four different calibers has been as good or better than the better lots of older Remington or Winchester brass before the last shortage.

Ssshhhh...not so loud. smirk

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Prvi seems to be good brass, but I bought some 7mm Rem. Mag. Prvi that was 14% heavier than Winchester. That could be significant with maximum or near maximum powder charges. I don't know whether their other brass is extra heavy or not.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
On the other hand, I have a batch of Prvi 308 brass that's significantly lighter than Winchester. YMMV.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gasman
On the other hand, I have a batch of Prvi 308 brass that's significantly lighter than Winchester. YMMV.

You have my attention. How much do your deprimed Prvi and Winchester empties weigh?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Winchester's and everyone elses quality control went South during the last round of shortages and it does not look like it will come back up to standards. I've even seen this with Norma and Lapua. Really sad. Winchester brass is what finally pushed me to buy an annealing machine. I've had neck splits on new brass when it was fired the first time.

lightman
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
lightman, I agree, and have seen it with Lapua too. The box of Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass I bought last year had the shoulders .010" shorter than spec, and about half of them split the shoulders on firing. First time I've seen that...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I thought it was just me and I was unlucky when I grabbed this bag of 220 swift at Cabelas last month, but went back and saw more culls in other bags at the same location. Too bad the other options are so much more.
[Linked Image]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ditto on the bad Winchester brass. I have bought many hundreds of rounds of new Winchester brass from MidwayUSA and found several of the 50 to be bad. Midway makes good on this, of course, but in makes you wonder what is going on in the Winchester plant. I have not seen this with other brands of brass. I have bought Hornady brass in several calibers and found it to be good.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I but Norma brass, great quality!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've moved to Hornady brass for everything. So far so good.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I've moved to Hornady brass for everything. So far so good.

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Otter6
Thin brass must be the "In" thing. My Hornady 270 Win is on par with wasp nest. OK,maybe not THAT bad,but I'll never buy any more of it. I miss the Remington brass of 30,35 years ago.

I miss R-P from the 80's and 90's... It was always great stuff. Winchester brass used to be damn good stuff too, but not anymore..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lotech
Prvi seems to be good brass, but I bought some 7mm Rem. Mag. Prvi that was 14% heavier than Winchester. That could be significant with maximum or near maximum powder charges. I don't know whether their other brass is extra heavy or not.

Holy fu ck, haven't you read through this thread. Winchester brass is thin, the Prvi/PPU is probably not as "extra heavy" as you think... Also another reason to ALWAYS start low and "work up"...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
About 10 years ago I got a batch of R-P 243 brass that had the flash holes off center on about 120 of the 200. I called Rem and told them about it and asked if they would like it back to inspect it. They said "no" and sent me 150 pcs of good brass. I've also had Norma brass loosen up the primer pockets after 1 firing. These were mildly heavy loads, but not over pressure and still under the book max by 8%.

If you don't call Winchester out when they pedal junk, this is what you can expect! If your money was good, then the product should be good. Call Win, tell them the issue and politely demand that they fix it. After they send out 10 pcs here, 14 pcs there 87 pcs here, somebody will wake up and get the QC issue resolved.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sounds like brass that has gone through the bullet pulling process. I've heard its junk lately.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.