Hop To
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hello all,

I haven't dropped by in a while. But I know all y'all (plural of the Texas singular "y'all") like reports of new/old rifles . . . and I could use a few suggestions.
So I picked up a 1949 M70 .270 recently. It is in pretty good shape, original butt intact, with an old slightly foggy Weaver K4 post and cross hair.
I know the old "thread is worthless without pics", and I agree entirely. I have a pic. I even have a pic of the first two groups: WW 150gr. Power Point factory rounds, 5 shots, 100 yds., 1.5" and 1.6", 10 shot composite group 1.75".
But I am having a hell of a time getting pics to load up to the Image Gallery, and I don't want to post small, grainy 97KB pics. I'm on a Mac using Firefox for a browser, if that helps.

Best,
Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/15/18.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
BP-B2

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
While I am awaiting advice for how to post decent pics, I will say that I was reasonably impressed with how this rifle shot. No, it is not MOA, but a sub 2 MOA 10-shot group (5 shots starting with a cold barrel, then 5 from a "cooled down" barrel) is pretty darn consistent.

I'm pretty sure that slightly foggy 4x post and cross hair reticle, aiming at a 3" dot was costing me some aiming error. The rifle is going to get new glass, likely a 3.5-10 x 40 Leupold, and a different stock. I want a pad and I won't cut an original butt. I have a few already cut and otherwise molested vintage Monte Carlo stocks, and I won't be reluctant about bedding those if I so desire. Finally, I haven't done any load development yet.

Now, it may be that the rifle will not respond to different bedding and those factory loads happen to be the best ever for it. There are no guarantees, but experience tells me it will respond at least a bit to both. But I know I can aim better with a better scope, that's for sure!

Best,
Gun Doc

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is how I post pictures here. Set up an account (free) with a photo hosting website. I use https://postimages.org. Upload your photos to that site and from there you can post them to this forum by copying the image address and pasting it in this dialog box. It's simpler than my explanation.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a cool old rifle. A modern scope should help a ton.. keep us posted

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Rifle with old scope, the scope it will likely get, first two groups (100 yards, aiming with old 4x post and cross hair, WW 150 grain Power Point factory load), composite of first two groups. I think she has potential. Hope it proves out!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/17/18.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine looking rifle, you did well. The more I see thes old M70's the more I like 'um. I too have a '49 in .270. Mine really shines with 130's and 140's (RL22 & IMR4350). Can't remember if I've tried 150's in it.

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks gunnut308.

Does your '49 wear a scope, and if so, which one and what mount/rings? Have you done anything to the bedding? How well does it shoot? Not the best it ever did, but most of the time (# shots, distance, group size.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful rifle. You did good.

My '50 30-06 wears a 3.5-10x40 VX3 in dual dovetails.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Thanks gunnut308.

Does your '49 wear a scope, and if so, which one and what mount/rings? Have you done anything to the bedding? How well does it shoot? Not the best it ever did, but most of the time (# shots, distance, group size.)

Leupold 3.5-10 and Talley lightweights. It's not bedded. Shoots hand loads 1/2" to 1" at 100 yards. MOA out to 500 if it's not windy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gundoc7
I have one of those made in 48. With a quality scope I am sure it will do much better. Fine, Fine rifles.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Rifle with old scope, the scope it will likely get, first two groups (100 yards, aiming with old 4x post and cross hair, WW 150 grain Power Point factory load), composite of first two groups. I think she has potential. Hope it proves out!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Honestly, too many people agonize over tiny groups or the lack thereof. Your rifle is certainly a more realistic example of what many rifles are capable of. Improvement is very likely too, but when you see so many small groups posted, I wonder what group of how many most people post to show the rifle's real accuracy.

I had a 1949 270 and it shot very well. I sighted it in and put the crosshair on the center of the group and shot lots of critters with it. I now have a pre-war carbine in 270 with a 2-4 scope on it and I don't worry about groups, but I can tell you there isn't any animal within 300 yards that won't be killed instantly with that rifle and 130 grain bullets...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks all for the comments and information.

Shrapnel, I hear you. I'd much rather have a rifle that consistently gave me 1-1/2 MOA than one that had to "warm up" to give me 3/4. And I probably don't really need 1-1/2. After all, you can hold only so well in the field. Not to mention we don't get warm ups or sighter shots. Further, although we tend to shoot five shots for statistical purposes, what really matters to me is that first shot from a lightly oiled bore. That and then maybe the next two. After that, you are having the kind of day another MOA ain't gonna fix!

I think it was Ross Seyfried who came up with the "one shot group." If I remember, the idea was one shot, give the bore a swipe of oil, put the rifle away, and repeat the next day. You might even take a break for the weather to change. That test told you how good a hunting rifle you had. I figured the next two shots were a worthwhile addition . . . because things happen.

Even so, 1 MOA seems a nice round number, so I do hope to get that. But anything more on a big game rifle is just bragging rights, and I won't bother chasing better.

Also, bullets! I care what it does with good, proven game bullets. I could care less about "target" bullets, or the ones that work great "most of the time."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
249 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.