Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Colt 6920 is always a solid choice. Expect to pay ~$900. The problem with $600 AR's is not that they don't function, it's that by the time you change them to your liking, you could have bought the BCM, Larue, or Colt that you didn't think you wanted to spend the $ on. Consider buying a Colt, 2 cases of ammo, an Aimpoint Pro, a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling, and a decent weapon light- Done. If you make changes, it will be because you know what you need & why. YMMV, as always.
Edited to add; Rost495 has forgotten more about the AR15 platform than I think I know...

Last edited by Sagewind; 07/10/18.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the MPR looks like it would be a great truck gun, I don't think I could build anything for less money than that thing is selling for, tempted to try one just to see what it will do. 18 inch barrel is interesting along with 6.8 pounds, you could get those cheap magpul plastic flip up sights and put a swfa 1-4 on it in one of the chinese pepr mounts from burris.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sagewind
Colt 6920 is always a solid choice. Expect to pay ~$900. The problem with $600 AR's is not that they don't function, it's that by the time you change them to your liking, you could have bought the BCM, Larue, or Colt that you didn't think you wanted to spend the $ on. Consider buying a Colt, 2 cases of ammo, an Aimpoint Pro, a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling, and a decent weapon light- Done. If you make changes, it will be because you know what you need & why. YMMV, as always.
Edited to add; Rost495 has forgotten more about the AR15 platform than I think I know...

Funny part is excepting service rifles, I've yet to see an AR that has exactly what I want. Hence building is the best option, OR just buying a "stock" gun.

But if you know what you want and someone has it, its rare that you save much if any money by building if you are getting fancy so to speak, though many times you can build a more accurate gun by using a top line barrel.

Though these days almost any AR functions fine and is 1 to 1.5 Moa accurate.

The only thing thats a given is either buy one with a better trigger or assume you'll replace the trigger eventually.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Formidilosus,

You seem to like a lot of Larue gear. Of course, that a much easier choice when someone else is picking up the tab!

Ehh. I buy my own Larue barrels.....

Larue does some things (barrels, 7.62’s) right, and some things (scope mounts) should be updated/changed. But the UU kit even getting it assembled is $900. It is functionally identical to the $2,600 Predatar. Before the UU kits, the top of the heap in “combat” carbines was KAC, Hodge Defense, and Larue. Those were all nearly $3,000. Now the Larue is $900

Originally Posted by rost495
That la rue kit doesn't look all that bad actually. Has enough stuff that I don't really see the need for, for the most part, and for most folks but needs and wants are 2 differing things.

Are they making in house barrels these days I think I heard some time back? Instead of culling through Walther tubes?

Yep, he’s making his own barrels. They are generally quite good. They group MK262 to about it’s limit- 1.3-1.4 MOA for ten rounds, and they last longer than most stainless match barrels under heavy use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a Geissele 2 Stage trigger should be part of the budget. I think a SW MP and a good trigger is a lot of return on investment for a first AR15.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
[quote=antelope_sniper]

Ehh. I buy my own Larue barrels.....

Thank you. I appreciate your input. I'll take it under serious consideration for the future.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Another vote for a Rick River Varmint

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't go super cheap and get a 1/8" barrel twist.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.