-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because I can't sing or dance....Let it go Ric...These guys don't have anything better to do then worry about what we do....I think they should go out and shoot more.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You know all their supposition is just that, the description of "hunting" according to Webster:

hunt: "to chase or search for(game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing."

hunter: "a person who hunts game or other wild animals."

hunting:"the act of a person or thing that hunts."

Therefore anyone who steps into the woods or a field for the expressed purpose of killing wild animals is hunting. There is nothing in the definitions about distance! No bias of feelings, ability or the lack thereof.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whelen

IF I dinged the 7mm, its only some reference to the rem mag version throwing a flier now and again at 1000 yards, such that it was not explainable and after talking with a LOT of 1000 yard competitors the consensus is the 7mm wasn't quite tehre, go 6.5 or 30 cal. for highpower.

That being said, I'd be totally happy to 600 with a 308. So no reason not to use your gun. I would be thinking just like you. 160 or 150 tsx/x type bullet. I've seen more than 1 elk dumped at over 40 with 140 x bullets from 7 mags... they work good enough.

I think you are set, I'd worry about the load and drift/drop charts and pratice. And a rangefinder/wind speed meter and practice.... You should be set. Be aware I'd doubt you'll get more than 1500 rounds of barrel life from the big seven. but IMHO you need to burn a barrel or two anyway till you really learn some things.... depending on your background...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
rost495 I agree with your acessment of the .308 and the bullet of choice, the only fault is the person pulling the trigger. Therefore with enough practice and a good rifle the possiblities are nearly limitless.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeff,
I used to shoot with a retired farmer/meatcutter named Rudy Wadekamp. He shot a 308 at 1000 yds. Well enough that he was invited to jolly old England to shoot. I learned a lot about 600 yards by being on the firing line next to his daughter and I listened to him coaching her. I asked him once about why he didn't use a 300 Magnum at 1000 yards. His answer was that you still need to learn to read wind at 1000 yards its just twice as much with the 308 Winchester.
He used to rebarrel his rifle every year.
I have heard that the 6.5 shooters do the same thing.
The hunting pressure is so intense where I hunt that I wouldn't have time to use a rangefinder. However on the power line right of way the poles are about 200 meters apart. I have managed to kill some between the second and third pole so far. They will not hold still and bullet placement is challenging to say the least. That is what makes it interesting for me. I like the 7MM Magnum because bullet energy is adequate even at 400 yards. Even more if you can get a stationary target.
Just learning,
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know the name of Rudy!!

The rangefinder is only used to figure it out. IE mostly ahead of time. And if time allows furtehr on out. Last hunt, I forgot mine but was on same kind of ROW. 300 foot pole spacing. Made it really easy and quick.

Take your 7mag and shoot. Thats the answer!! The last yaers I shot, I was running 223 and those barrels last a bit longer than 308 soemtimes, the only way I made it through a year is that I have 3 uppers, practice, short range matches,and the real thing. The real thing might last 3 years as I burn the max rounds in the otehr ones. I probably averaged 2 barrels a year in truth and lots of that because I shot a 22 upper a LOT in the yard...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeff,
Once I asked Rudy if he was a hunter and he said no. That suprised me and I asked him why not. His answer was that it wouldn't be challenging enough. I have heard he liked to take a poke at fox once in awhile though.
What is your opinion of the 6.5 x 284 for 1000 yards? Barrel life?
whelennut

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats interestingly why we get in these pissin matches. Its just no challenge for the normal range shot any for a highpower shooter of good skill....

I'd do a 6.5x284 for 1000 yards, expect 1500 rounds barrel life of top accuracy. I don't know that there is a better option out there. I always liked the 7mm BCs but a LOT of folks have tried everything 7mm up to STW and keep reporting unexplained fliers. Maybe one of 20... enough to loose the match for sure. Only thing that impressed me enough to maybe try is the 7 wsm in 7mm. Its set the 1 mile record some time back and I talked with that guy a bit, I'd try it for sure. I have a bolt action needing a barrel. And a bois d arc stock off an old corner tree from our property. Wanted to do a kind of sentimental deal.... But it was all setup from a bit back and a long action 06 head size. I could have it done still.... not sure exactly what I want to do.... OTOH the 284 isn't bad, but how can you argue with all the current results?

I guess back to hunting, I started hunting, and highpower was an excuse to buy an M1A. Then to get better hunting accuracy. Finally to reach the top which I did in my estimation, I still love hunting, and while I love shooting, the hunting is a bit stronger. Mostly why I've quit shooting and gone back to hunting. But in the meantime its made me a very lethal shot....

Jeff

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
People do it different everywhere. I hunted in South Africa once and the farm hands asked me why I shot my animals in the lungs.
I asked them how it's done there by locals. They said that the meat hunters use a helicopter and shoot them in the head so they don't waste anything? I was using a borrowed 7x57 with iron sights and decided to stick with the lung shot. I didn't have a helicopter handy either. grin
whelennut

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like to stalk and out smart animals too, but when I'm hunting one of the 1000+ acre feilds I have access to I enjoy taking a longer shot if given the chace. It's not "risky", as I've seen it called in this thread, it is comforting to see my abilities put to good use, and yes I like to brag a little. Excuse me for liking to show freinds a 400yd head shot from time to time.

P.S. I've never missed a shot on big game past 250yds.

Tact is knowing how to tell someone to go to hell, and have them thank you for it.

NRA Life Member, BAA Life Member
IC B3

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.