-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do beautiful work, sir. Thanks for sharing that.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Not many sawyers will want to mess with a tree that grew right next to a house for fear of hidden nails, clothes line anchors, and such that may lurk beneath the surface. Metal detectors alleviate a lot of that but aren't infallible so they are still reluctant to cut up a "household" tree. I encountered that when I had the bright idea to salvage woodworking stock out of maple, cherry, walnut, and ash trees that we had removed from around the house over the years. I still have two cherry logs laying on the pad in front of an out building from three years ago that I can't quite bring myself to cut up for firewood. The ash was particularly painful to cut up because I use that stuff for custom croquet mallet handles. (No snickering- I get $300 for one of my croquet mallets. smile )

We each have our own talents sir. I build plate armor, gauntlets, and chainmail among other things like hammered dulcimers. Be proud of what you craft. I never worry if it will sell, I just have trouble setting a price and parting with it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to the OP's question. I have found that, more often than not, Maple trees in particular will telegraph if they have decent figure in them or not by how they look from the outside. Usually fiddleback, quilt, and of course, burl, will show on the outside of the tree, either at the stump or at the crotch. In a rare instance like a couple Maples I've taken down, the fiddleback will be a series of wrinkles all the way from the ground to the crotch area. Quilt will sometimes need to have the bark removed to identify, but it will also telegraph to the outside of the tree if enough is present.
Straight grain maple is still good wood, just not interesting enough for gun stocks IMO. Makes great furniture, tools, and a few other things....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sheister
Back to the OP's question. I have found that, more often than not, Maple trees in particular will telegraph if they have decent figure in them or not by how they look from the outside. Usually fiddleback, quilt, and of course, burl, will show on the outside of the tree, either at the stump or at the crotch. In a rare instance like a couple Maples I've taken down, the fiddleback will be a series of wrinkles all the way from the ground to the crotch area. Quilt will sometimes need to have the bark removed to identify, but it will also telegraph to the outside of the tree if enough is present.
Straight grain maple is still good wood, just not interesting enough for gun stocks IMO. Makes great furniture, tools, and a few other things....

Bob

I have seen this and agree although in my area and experience I am only talking about fiddleback, sometimes called tigerstripe or curly maple here. I have taken one to two inch strips of bark of off trees that were on the chopping block and invariably those with stripe will show that even to the point of how tight the curl is. I'm not sure what exactly causes the figure in some trees and not others but if wind was involved in the answer I could be persuaded to that line of thinking. I would also like to throw out that quarter sawn versus slab sawn will result in the curl being more evident either on the top/bottom of the blank or the sides depending on how close or far from the center of the tree.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The other side of my cutie....love it when the figure is on both sides....its a heart breaker to me when it doesn't.

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I read the book, "UNDERSTANDING WOOD" it changed my life.
The first edition was 1980, and I got it soon afterwards from Fine Woodworking magazine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Bruce_Hoadley

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Wood-Craftsmans-Guide-Technology/dp/1561583588/ref=sr_1_1

[Linked Image]

Don't read this book at the end of your life, read it at the beginning.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How old a ole boy are ya?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen some of the log cutters going to the tree transplanting machines to get the root ball in one shot. Expensive equipment but some of the wood sells practically by the ounce. Mesquite and Walnut mantles rival gun stocks in price. One outfit will here will drop the tree and mill it and pay you back with your selection of blanks so not a bad deal to get 3- 5 of the best and then let the rest go.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Big leaf maple is the only species that I've seen much of, and one does not know what he might have until it's shaped and finished. Very little consistency as one goes from tree to tree.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sitka Deer is spot on, pay attention to his writings.

Take a look at the photos on Roger Vardy's site. Some show him head deep in the dirt digging out the root wad prior to dropping a tree. This is where the primo grain is.

Back to Maple, takes big logs to make good blanks, provided the grain is there.

Way back in 1994, I still have a lot of blanks from this and several other trees:

This one started at about 4 feet in dimeter. Pacific Big Leaf maple.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS if anyone out there really wants to get into serious stock making, I have my NorthStar duplicator up for sale over in the classifieds on Accurate Reloading.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 07/26/18.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. Big leaf maple is the only species that I've seen much of, and one does not know what he might have until it's shaped and finished. Very little consistency as one goes from tree to tree.

Very true. Back when I was involved in cutting trees for blanks, it took a lot of searching to find the tree that had good grain. We finally figured it out! Growing conditions and minerals in the soil make a difference. A stressed tree (one growing hanging onto a ridge in a windy area) was a good candidate. Lots of rainfall makes a difference.

This one was a twin trunk widow maker. Steep Slope and a lot of heavy overhang. Had good grain way up past the big limb you see.

[Linked Image]

Dropped without killing someone:

[Linked Image]

Another one on a different ridge about 10 miles away:. Lots of good grain in this one also.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 07/26/18.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Harsh growing conditions make the best grain figure. Trees that grow fast are plain. To cut a root ball means a lot of dirt and rock. I was given a truck load of Manzanita roots that could never be cut. A ruined blade for every 2". Good trees are never dropped for Stocks, furniture or laminates. They are lowered to the ground. One Ohio walnut brought $30,000. Around here there are people to buy trees but they cheat you and cut those you do not want removed. You get a small amount while they get rich. Then they sneak onto a neighbors land to steal more.
I have made much from my trees and if pre-cut first, it does not take long to dry but I stack and sticker in my basement for a month or so. Less then 40% humidity. Even wood from the barn that is 30 years old will be dried more. I have walnut, cherry and white oak planks to make you spin. I had a lot of ash but used it to make soffits on my house and a trailer to haul wood. Does not need to be real dry for construction.
Now some green wood was used for turnings, etc but it was infused with some kind of glycol. Ethylene or something. It prevents splitting.
All my wood was cut with the Alaskan chain saw mill. Special chain but slow as frozen molasses. I buy rolls of chain and make my own. Cutters Choice has everything. I put a 30" bar on my old Solo and as old as it is, it cuts.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.