Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by deflave
If I lived in Rhode Island it would be a .17 HMR.

But nothing hangs with a .17 Rem. Nothing.

Agreed....Kimber America in 17Rem flat out shoots and gets it done with little pills.😎

I may never part with my KoO 17 Rem. I want to upgrade it to Super America status with a California English Walnut stock. I need to look up how many lefties they produced in 17 Rem. so I can be even more smug in appreciation of this little rifle. Don't underestimate the capability of this pipsqueak round. I have done right left shots on deer and dropped them in their tracks and also including some sizeable hogs. The hogs were mostly behind the ear shots but still impressive results. This was with the old Remington factory which was a bonded bullet. I expect good things with the Leheigh and Hammer fragmenting monos. Not just a rat and squirrel rifle for sure.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by Beaver10
If I lived in Rhode Island it would be a .17 HMR.

Agreed....Kimber America in 17Rem flat out shoots and gets it done with little pills.😎

I may never part with my KoO 17 Rem. I want to upgrade it to Super America status with a California English Walnut stock. I need to look up how many lefties they produced in 17 Rem. so I can be even more smug in appreciation of this little rifle. Don't underestimate the capability of this pipsqueak round. I have done right left shots on deer and dropped them in their tracks and also including some sizeable hogs. The hogs were mostly behind the ear shots but still impressive results. This was with the old Remington factory which was a bonded bullet. I expect good things with the Leheigh and Hammer fragmenting monos. Not just a rat and squirrel rifle for sure.

The 204 Ruger might be a suitable deer rifle under certain circumstances with the proper bullet. Maybe a 40 grain Partition.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

No truer word were ever penned.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[/quote]

The 204 Ruger might be a suitable deer rifle under certain circumstances with the proper bullet. Maybe a 40 grain Partition.[/quote]

If there were the right bullets no doubt it would. Not sure how tough the BT or Bergers are but since they are varmint bullets probably too soft. Best for the 17 are bonded but partially fragmenting types like the old Rem. Core lokt or the Ackley design which was similar to a trophy bonded but with less lead. If Nosler would make a .204 bonded solid base or Accubond that would be the ticket or as you said a Partition. Same for the 17's.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
.17 Remington

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano

The 204 Ruger might be a suitable deer rifle under certain circumstances with the proper bullet. Maybe a 40 grain Partition.

If there were the right bullets no doubt it would. Not sure how tough the BT or Bergers are but since they are varmint bullets probably too soft. Best for the 17 are bonded but partially fragmenting types like the old Rem. Core lokt or the Ackley design which was similar to a trophy bonded but with less lead. If Nosler would make a .204 bonded solid base or Accubond that would be the ticket or as you said a Partition. Same for the 17's.
I met a guy in ID that used his 20 Practical on deer. He was affiliated with Barnes in someway. I held and shot Barnes .20cal bullets that they made for him. Said it worked great on deer and he used that rifle often when taking new hunters out. FWIW...

Last edited by pointer; 07/13/18.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tom: I currently own 17 caliber Rifles in the following calibers 17 Mach2 (2), 17 HMR (3 and one S&W revolver), 17 MachIV, 17 Remington Fireball and 17 Remington (3).
In addition to these Rifles (and the one 17 HMR pistol) I am currently dealing on a used/as new Ruger 77/17 WSM V/T and I have been searching high and low for a "deal" on a Ruger 77/17 Hornet (I already have the dies and two packages of brass for this caliber!).
I am a 17 caliber enthusiast to the nth degree!
I highly recommend you get started with the fun and efficiency of the 17's.
Further I recommend you get both a rimfire 17 (preferably a 17 HMR - an OUTSTANDING round!) and a centerfire 17 to compliment it (17 Remington or 17 Fireball).
Try one (or two!) I know you will enjoy them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do like my 17`s ,the 17 Remington is my favorite of 17`s,but I prefer a 204 over all of them for my truck carry gun for varmints, mainly because coyotes in Minnesota compared to out west are bigger and do sometimes die harder. but all 17`s are fun rifles to own and shoot. may I add this on a prarie dog shoot with my sako rifle in a 17 Remington I took a plastic box of 50 hand loaded 17 Remingtons ,was careful with my shots that mourning on a virgin dog town shot 49 prarie dogs for 50 rounds out to about 150 yards and 1 coyote my first shot that mourning at 200 yards.

Last edited by pete53; 07/13/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been down that road with the 17 Remington. Kills on woodchucks were unspectacular to say the least. Accuracy was fragile with the barrel fouling quickly. But it would shoot 1/4" groups, very few of them without cleaning. And not just wiping and brushing the bore, copper solvent every 30 rounds or so. Regular cleaning in 10 rounds.

That was one rifle, granted, but it soured me on 17 anything. Can't do crap with a 17 you can't do with a 222, and do easier with a 222 than a 17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Armednfree,

I might have had the same opinion of the 17 based on my first few outings. I was using Remington bullets and had inconsistent results. Some would expand and kill coyotes DRT but most required 2 or more shots and showed little to no expansion. I heard in the early/mid 90's, which is when I had my first 17, that Remington had a run of 17 bullets that were doing just that. I switched to the Hornady 25 grain HP and the difference was night and day. Chest shot coyotes dropped were they were standing. Rockchucks and ground squirrels erupted quite violently and magpies turned into confetti. I don't know if Remington ever fixed the 17 bullet issue and never really cared. The Hornady bullet did what I wanted is all I've ever used since then.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ArmednFree,

After considerable experience with several other .17 cartridges, I eventually became curious about the .17 Remington, so purchased a Remington 700 BDL made a not long after the cartridge was introduced. Mostly I wanted to find out if it fouled like people claimed early on.

This rifle hadn't been fired enough to erode the bore at all, from what I could see in my bore-scope, and it sure didn't foul with a number of handloads. Some people claimed the 700 bores were rough, but they didn't present any evidence. Instead I suspect the problem was the spherical powders of the day, which left considerable fouling, which is also abrasive enough to increase jacket fouling.

I could shoot my rifle over 100 rounds with handloads using Ramshot Big Game, the powder that resulted in the best accuracy in my rifle, before accuracy started to deteriorate. After treating the bore with Dyna Bore Coat, it basically didn't foul.

I didn't load any Remington bullets, instead using Hornady V-Max and Nosler Varmageddons, and both performed great in the field.

However, I also came to the conclusion that the .17 Remington recoil noticeably more than the .17 Fireball, which recoil so little I could spot hits through the scope. Couldn't with the .17 Remington, and in fact I couldn't spot shots with it as well as I could with 26-32 grain bullets in my .204 Ruger, which got muzzle velocities in the same
range and shot just as flat. So the .17 went down the road.

I also wonder why you claim the .222 will do anything a .17 will. That has not been my experience, with any of the .17 centerfires, and I've owned several .222's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great Topic, any of those .17's do anything magical over my 1980's, Remington Model 700 Varmint Special 22-250?

Wouldn't mind trying something different, mainly for these sorry coyotes around here, not much into chuck hunting anymore.

NEVER GIVE UP
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they recoil a lot less, allowing the shooter to spot his own shots, and don't heat up barrels as quickly.

Took a friend out prairie dog shooting for the first time in his life a few years ago. He brought a .22-250, because that's what everybody advised for many years, especially for long shots. His .22-250 worked all right fora few shots, but then the barrel got hot and some cases stuck in the chamber, requiring a cleaning rod to push the out. he also never got to witness where any of his shots landed.

Meanwhile, he shot several rifles belonging to me and another local guy. After that experience, he showed up the next year with a .17 Hornet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hey mule deer, could you recommend a few more .17 rem powders(the ones that would foul the least). I shoot mostly 30 grainers, thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Benchmark and, especially, CFE223 also work well. I prefer spherical powders in .17's, because even small-grain extruded powders tend to hang up when flowing into the tiny necks.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There’s a .17 Remington in the classifieds

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always wanted a Remington 700 in the 17 remmy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Been down that road with the 17 Remington. Kills on woodchucks were unspectacular to say the least. Accuracy was fragile with the barrel fouling quickly. But it would shoot 1/4" groups, very few of them without cleaning. And not just wiping and brushing the bore, copper solvent every 30 rounds or so. Regular cleaning in 10 rounds.

That was one rifle, granted, but it soured me on 17 anything. Can't do crap with a 17 you can't do with a 222, and do easier with a 222 than a 17.

Thanks for affirming your level of dumb fugk.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, they recoil a lot less, allowing the shooter to spot his own shots, and don't heat up barrels as quickly.

Took a friend out prairie dog shooting for the first time in his life a few years ago. He brought a .22-250, because that's what everybody advised for many years, especially for long shots. His .22-250 worked all right fora few shots, but then the barrel got hot and some cases stuck in the chamber, requiring a cleaning rod to push the out. he also never got to witness where any of his shots landed.

Meanwhile, he shot several rifles belonging to me and another local guy. After that experience, he showed up the next year with a .17 Hornet.

I do want to try a Hornet.

Do you reload for that or buy factory?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
. [/quote]

Thanks for affirming your level of dumb fugk. [/quote]

Flave my crepuscular friend. You have got to get over this inhibition thing of being so unctuously tactful to the point of obsequiousness and [bleep] fawning.

I think Jack O'Conner described a campfire discussion on cartridges where in the wee hours of the night the various proponents were about ready to use their favorite round on the other campfire members. Sound familiar?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
622 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.