Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My son informed me this weekend that he wants to hunt black bear. He is 12 and has taken 9 deer thus far so he is not overly experienced, but he's not a brand new rookie either. I live in South Carolina so getting up into the Northeast would likely be cheaper and easier for me, but, depending on price, I am not opposed to going to western Canada or the NW of the U.S.

Ideally, the hunt would take place in June so that he could be out of school, but we might also consider something in May.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Dan

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have you looked into north Carolina?
Wyomings season runs into June.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No spring bears in NC.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, it wouldn't have to be Spring, I suppose we could do it over Thanksgiving or over Christmas. I will check into North Carolina.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Don't count out New Brunswick, Canada for spring bear. They have lots of bear. Just be sure wherever you go that you research the outfitter in depth. Reviews by past hunters, how many hunters in camp, quality of service etc.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I have hunted new Brunswick spring season every other year for a while now. They have a spring season and I have used the same guide for all the hunts.

Based upon my one outfitter a small operation, typically 3-4 guys a week.

You will see a good number of bears, typically a couple per day.

The spring bears have nice coats, not the rubs, thin spots seen in the fall.

At least in our camp, there aren't to many big bears, even some of the older individuals are 250ish.

Its a relaxing hunt, hunt from 3-4pm till dark, mornings are free to sight see, or fish.

Outfitter takes care of all, Dressing, skinning and as long as your not on the last day or two, butchering. Also does the paperwork for import back to US.

He has some options for lodging, some of them pretty nice which makes it easy to bring the wife etc.

happy to provide outfitters info.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Before deciding where...decide if you want a stand hunt (most likely over bait) or a spot and stalk.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’ve been goin out to Wyoming with Ross Adney. www.beavertrapoutfitters.com for a few spring bear hunts over the last 6-7 years and have sent/taken a couple other guys so far really good luck getting bears. Have shot some nice color phase ones out there. I’ll take my daughter out there in a couple years in the spring. It’s a fun time to get out and do some hunting.

Feel free to pm me with any questions or can call.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
West Virginia or Virginia for hound hunts in the fall near you.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
My son informed me this weekend that he wants to hunt black bear. He is 12 and has taken 9 deer thus far so he is not overly experienced, but he's not a brand new rookie either. I live in South Carolina so getting up into the Northeast would likely be cheaper and easier for me, but, depending on price, I am not opposed to going to western Canada or the NW of the U.S.

Ideally, the hunt would take place in June so that he could be out of school, but we might also consider something in May.

Dan

Dan, hop up to North Carolina and get with Clark Purvis, Captain Clark Purvis. He takes some big ones stand and hound hunting. You can google him. I highly recommend Clark.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks Toot. I will check him out.

Dan

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d look at Alberta, speacifally mikes outfitting. He kills giants, color phase at reasonable prices. Matter of fact I get several emails from him in the spring offering discount hunts

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Judman, I’m headed your way one week from today and I’m planning a rematch for that bruiser I blew the shot on last year. Looks like the weather will be much cooler and I hope it holds cause last year we had 100 degree days. Bears only moved at first and last light.
Looking forward to it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Judman
I’d look at Alberta, speacifally mikes outfitting. He kills giants, color phase at reasonable prices. Matter of fact I get several emails from him in the spring offering discount hunts

I can recommend Bear Paw Outfitters in Alberta as well. I selected them over Mike's, based on client endorsements and photos. I was very pleased with my hunt: I shot a 450+ lb black black bear and a 300+ lb cinnamon. This is over bait, from tree stands, not spot-and-stalk. You will see lots of bears, up close. Price for the week and 2 tags is a shade under $5K, food and accommodations are excellent, There are LOTS of bears in the area, and the likelihood of shooting a BIG bear (or two!) is very good. The bear rut starts in late May to early June. My hunt last year was in that time frame.

You can read about my hunt and look at pics here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12078007/6

Last edited by DocRocket; 07/19/18.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Judman, I’m headed your way one week from today and I’m planning a rematch for that bruiser I blew the shot on last year. Looks like the weather will be much cooler and I hope it holds cause last year we had 100 degree days. Bears only moved at first and last light.
Looking forward to it.

Toot, hammer a goodun!!! Supposed to get up to 95 here Monday then cool down a bit. It’ll be 10-20 degrees cooler where your gonna be. You pass through here and wanna BS give me a hollar later

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I can recommend Bear Paw Outfitters in Alberta as well. I selected them over Mike's, based on client endorsements and photos. I was very pleased with my hunt: I shot a 450+ lb black black bear and a 300+ lb cinnamon. This is over bait, from tree stands, not spot-and-stalk. You will see lots of bears, up close. Price for the week and 2 tags is a shade under $5K, food and accommodations are excellent, There are LOTS of bears in the area, and the likelihood of shooting a BIG bear (or two!) is very good. The bear rut starts in late May to early June. My hunt last year was in that time frame.

You can read about my hunt and look at pics here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12078007/6

Doc, sounds like a solid outfit!! Lotsa big bear up there

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta like those bear hunting stories.
Thanks!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Looking forward to it.

Toot, hammer a goodun!!! Supposed to get up to 95 here Monday then cool down a bit. It’ll be 10-20 degrees cooler where your gonna be. You pass through here and wanna BS give me a hollar later

If time allows I will do that. We’ll be staying at the Pacific Inn in Forks.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
I’ve been goin out to Wyoming with Ross Adney. www.beavertrapoutfitters.com for a few spring bear hunts over the last 6-7 years and have sent/taken a couple other guys so far really good luck getting bears. Have shot some nice color phase ones out there. I’ll take my daughter out there in a couple years in the spring. It’s a fun time to get out and do some hunting.

Feel free to pm me with any questions or can call.

Slidellkid, I, too, can recommend Ross Adney having hunted with him this past May and took a big blackie with s primo pelt. I’m going back and whitetail hunt with him in November and back again in dec/jan for a mountain lion hunt. Last year I spring bear hunted with Bob Barlow just south of Ross and took a real nice Chocolate blackie. Both can get you on bears, both are hard workers who know their business well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Dan

Go in the fall; the hide will be better. Also, find out from your outfitter when the best (size/ hide quality) bears are taken, and go then.

Don't let school interfere with the boy's education.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.