Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pac Nor I believe was farming out the installation and chambering work so it could vary with which Smith doe's the work. One of my Smiths uses Pac Nor for everything.

As Red Neck and others wrote it is a crap shoot. Worst barrel I have seen came from one of the top manufacturers which can happen to anyone. What PO'd me was they did not even respond when I asked if they could re-bore the barrel. Another big item is how many barrels do they scrap or re-bore? The number is fairly high for shops like Krieger while others mark these as a lower grade. Leica makes such superb lenses as they scrap up to four out of five lenses. I once saw a photo of a sizeable ware house full of reject Leica lenses, these were slated to be re-melted.

The other factor is stress relief. Some shops do this before and after boring and some Cryo the barrels to improve machinability which it does more than reducing stress. Cut rifling induces less stress and then button with hammer forging the most but it can be mostly heat treated out.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have 240 Weatherby built on Yugo Mauser. A for sure nail driver.

1Minute
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had one, it shot great!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to agree. Any barrel maker can screw up. I had a name brand maker that has been mentioned in this thread ship me a barrel that was obviously bored WAY off center. They weren't very interested in making it good until I asked if they normally put the thick side of their barrels on the bottom or the top and which would they recommend. They said that they would like to see the barrel and then shipped me a new one right out. The new one turned out great.

It's not whether or not you have a problem with a product you make, its how you handle the problem that makes the difference...

Harry
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It’s as hit and miss, as anything else in the button game. I single point cut rifle is a safer bet but nothing is perfect. If I was looking to flute I would not look at any button rifled tubes. Stress relief is key on the button style and most if not all of those stresses are eliminated on a cut rifle.

Fotis ask Scott to give you a run Down of the difference he was tight with boots and has a bunch of knowledge on the subject.

I have a bunch of button barrels that shoot great but nothing keeps up with the cut stuff. 🙂 and I only flute cut as a rule for my own liking.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pac Nor - .308 Win - 10 twist
#5 or slightly heavier - Fluted
Redneck (Lee) did the barrel work
Most accurate rifle I've ever owned.
I've lost track of rounds thru it.
I've never ran a patch thru it.
150's, 165's, 180's, it'll put them all right where I ask it to.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot well over 100 PN spouts all but (1) of which was Stainless and I've yet to see anything near a "bad" one,or anything "weird". In a nutshell,they easily remain my favorite spout of all time and my Buttons,have always trumped my Cut. Perhaps the most telling is,that Criterion has absolutely flogged Krieger,as per spouts I own. Hint.

In fairness,I shoot a few Makes of spouts: Criterion,Douglas,Wilson,GM,PN,Hart,Liljee,Bart',Brux,Krieger,Obie,Shilen,LW,McMillan,Schneider,Muller,Rock,BHW,X-Caliber,McGowen...amongst others and if only from the hip. Have "only" run contours from sub #1's to straight 1.350" Bull and of course most stops in between,though only from .17cal to .375". Never have gone longer than 30",nor shorter than 14"(XP-100 Custom). Have fluted 'em initially,as well as after the fact and reduced contour then fluted to boot,with nary anything resembling an "issue". Then again,I needn't ask anybody anything,about barrels and simply have BT/DT and have all the T-shirts. Hint.

'Course I'm a little bit whole bunch good on a Press and even better on a trigger and have long savvied the melding of twist,throating and COAL latitude...which connects more than a few dots and bears more than a little fruit. Hint.

As 500yd+ Egg Rifles go,my top 5 picks from the larder would be Buttoned and only (1) not a PN and it's a Hart. Pardon the flutes. Laughing!

Got some new glass to carve outta parcels,as well as a new stock/DBM to open too and their Button Bound collectively. Now if only the Piece Of Fhuqking Schit Bushie 4.5-18x LRHSi replacement would arrive,along with the mythical CameraLand Geovids,I'd roll some more fhuqking footing to record hilarity in adsvance. Hint. Laughing!

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've shot well over 100 PN spouts all but (1) of which was Stainless and I've yet to see anything near a "bad" one,or anything "weird". In a nutshell,they easily remain my favorite spout of all time and my Buttons,have always trumped my Cut. Perhaps the most telling is,that Criterion has absolutely flogged Krieger,as per spouts I own. Hint.

In fairness,I shoot a few Makes of spouts: Criterion,Douglas,Wilson,GM,PN,Hart,Liljee,Bart',Brux,Krieger,Obie,Shilen,LW,McMillan,Schneider,Muller,Rock,BHW,X-Caliber,McGowen...amongst others and if only from the hip. Have "only" run contours from sub #1's to straight 1.350" Bull and of course most stops in between,though only from .17cal to .375". Never have gone longer than 30",nor shorter than 14"(XP-100 Custom). Have fluted 'em initially,as well as after the fact and reduced contour then fluted to boot,with nary anything resembling an "issue". Then again,I needn't ask anybody anything,about barrels and simply have BT/DT and have all the T-shirts. Hint.

'Course I'm a little bit whole bunch good on a Press and even better on a trigger and have long savvied the melding of twist,throating and COAL latitude...which connects more than a few dots and bears more than a little fruit. Hint.

As 500yd+ Egg Rifles go,my top 5 picks from the larder would be Buttoned and only (1) not a PN and it's a Hart. Pardon the flutes. Laughing!

Got some new glass to carve outta parcels,as well as a new stock/DBM to open too and their Button Bound collectively. Now if only the Piece Of Fhuqking Schit Bushie 4.5-18x LRHSi replacement would arrive,along with the mythical CameraLand Geovids,I'd roll some more fhuqking footing to record hilarity in adsvance. Hint. Laughing!

It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Bless your hearts.

Laughing!.......................

No even close to impressed LOL.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sugar tits! im shocked Doug is taking AK food stamps as payment. But with all the great PR you have given him I’m sure your needs and wants are list topping. 😂

PS once you actually get a kill in this decade please post pictures.
This one is a an favorite. No fur but with the law on the night hunting thing it’s probably tricky.

[Linked Image]

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had PAC-NOR put up a half dozen barrels for me. All of them have been good to outstanding. I recently had them do a Kimber 84L 280 AI for me, and it is now one the best shooters I have in the safe. CP.

IC B3

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the information fellas

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I’ve had six of them and no complaints except for one. Some shoot better than others which I suspect you’d find with any “production custom” barrel maker. A .243 barrel, now converted to .243 AI, puts three shots into the .2’s, that's after some 2400 rounds down the barrel. A .308 on a M700 that Mickey Coleman did for me is a half inch or better shooter. A .30-06 on a M70 that Pac-Nor installed back in the late 90’s was a tack driver, although a SS .30-06 they put on a SS M70 is only so-so. A .270 on a M700 is another tack driver, while a .270 on M70 now long gone wouldn’t shoot for beans, and I had two other people shoot it to be sure it wasn’t me. I’ve had P-N recountour two of their barrels to a lighter profile and note that they shot just as good with the lighter contour. Also note that all of mine now are the Remington standard sporter contour, .660 OD at the muzzle, except the SS M70 which is a KS contour which is the Rem sporter but with a .600 OD at the muzzle. .

The only other custom barrel I’ve had is a Brux 6mm on a M70 and it was a good shooter but not as good as my two best Pac-Nors.

Their customer service has always been great although I haven’t had any recent experience with them in the last half dozen years or more. But based on prior experiences I’d certainly not be afraid to use one.

Bought the LH Win 70 in 270 from Jim he was right did not shoot! Called Pac-Nor they said to send it back and they would rebarrel it in caliber of my choice. Had a SS 9.3 X 62 barrel put on it and it shoots! Could not ask for better customer service!

Also bought Jims LH Model 70 Pac Nor barreled 06 and it is a shooter also!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I contacted Pacnor about the rifle I was having trouble with and they had me send it out to them to diagnose the issue. They said the crown was never finished with a chamfer and the bore was full of burs, plus the barrel was barely on finger tight and the no-go chamber gage fell right in until they got it on there tight.
Same day turn-around and no charge to check out and fix something that they didn't do in the first place.

Kudo's to Pacnor!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.