24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years back I built a 6.5-06AI with the express purpose of having a rifle capable of supersonic velocity out to 1200 yards. It does that with 130g Scirocco II bullets with a MV of 3161fps. It has a heavy barrel which makes it very comfortable to shoot but no tot carry. As a result I've long wished I had a sporter-weight 6.5 fas well.

The 6.5CM is interesting but doesn't do much more than my .257 Roberts +P loads and not as much as my .280RM or magnums. The 6.5 GAP never interested me for a number of reasons including rifle choices, brass cost, etc. I expect the 6.5PRC will have a good following with inexpensive brass with good availability and more options in rifles as well.

I need another rifle like I need a mortgage or a mistress - which is to say not at all. Fortunately, rifles are cheap by comparison and if the right opportunity presents itself a 6.5PRC will likely join the rifles in my safes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

hopefully they will build one a little more portable , and I'm in..........

something like the Hawkeye Predator version will do...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

3250fps.....careful you'll over shoot them!

LOL.

I think I showed up on 24HRCF a decade to early.

Had to hold at the hoof line on this bull @ 1102yds with the 140gr VLD.

[Linked Image]

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another nice bull by Mr. Burns.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

hopefully they will build one a little more portable , and I'm in..........

something like the Hawkeye Predator version will do...

Since we're dreaming here grin why not partner w/ Bansner and offer a SS Hawkeye in a Bansner stock w/ newly developed aluminum bottom metal, 23.3" tube, chambered in 6.5 PRC.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I want a hunting rifle, not an 11 pound target rifle.

Synthetic stock, stainless or blue would work for me. Threaded barrel a plus.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
D
I just recently got some data for my 6.5 PRC. Used 127 LRX bullets with Reloder 23, BR2 and ADG Brass.

Avg speed was 3030fps. 53.5-54gr. BTO 2.310"

22" Rock Creek Pre-Fit from PVA.

ES and SD were terrible, but was <1/2" @ 100yrds.

I like RL23 for temp stability. New bbl so hope i can get close to 3100-3200fps. No pressure signs.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
6.5 saum, 57.7 grains of rl 26, 143eldx 3105fps. 22” proof.
Things a killer plain and simple.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shoots the 156 Berger at 3025 like this.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DDRH65PRC
I just recently got some data for my 6.5 PRC. Used 127 LRX bullets with Reloder 23, BR2 and ADG Brass.

Avg speed was 3030fps. 53.5-54gr. BTO 2.310"

22" Rock Creek Pre-Fit from PVA.

ES and SD were terrible, but was <1/2" @ 100yrds.

I like RL23 for temp stability. New bbl so hope i can get close to 3100-3200fps. No pressure signs.

Tagging in on this. My PVA dog days barrel will be deliver tomorrow. 22" 6.5PRC Tikka T3 shouldered light palma contour

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
<^>

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If my memory serves me correctly i'll try and give what I know.

George Gardner of GAP developed the 6.5 SAUM 4s it was designed to be the ultimate short action cartridge as well as offer optimal ballistics for the PRS series which has a velocity cap of 3200ft/sec I believe. Part of the design philosophy was to run long barrels with slow powders(H1000) to get the velocity rather than wringing the performance out by high pressures which ultimately attributes to excellent barrel life in proportion to the performance delivered. The one caveat of the 4s is currently hornady is the only brass available (some form brass from 7 saum norma brass and ect...)

The 6.5 PRC to my understanding was a Hornady/Ruger project that George of GAP helped work on. it too is aimed at the PRS market and is built with similar design principles of the 4s but uses the RCM (ruger compact magnum) as it's parent case rather than the SAUM. The 4s has slightly more capacity over the RCM.

For general purposes there so similar you could likely flip a coin and choose one. The big difference that I see is the RCM is backed by Ruger and Hornady so it could potentially go further in the market just due to the backing of such a giants. don't get me wrong the 4s has it's followers but most who run the 4s have to coin to spring for the best. the PRC could bring a new crowd into the ever growing sport especially when off the shelf guns like Ruger RPR hit the market.

In short the 6.5 PRC was in my opinion designed to pick up where the 6.5 creedmoor leaves off and offers maximum performance within the rules of the game (PRS). It should be an interesting year when they hit the market. and with the BC wars going on and offerings like the new 150smk with its touted .713 G1 BC the velocity the PRC/4s can deliver will be a game changer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if Ruger was involved, why were they so late to the game bringing out their own rifles chambered in the PRC? So unlike when the 17HMR and 204 ruger came out......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
pheasant665,

In 2018 I had the opportunity to work extensively with rifles in both 6.5 GAP 4s and 6.5 PRC. Used Hornady brass in both, and measured their water capacity after firing, with the Hornady 143 ELD-X bullet seated to the same overall length. They essentially had the same capacity, within .1 grain--with the .1 edge going to the PRC. (The GAP's case body is slightly larger in diameter, while the PRC's is slightly longer.) Both held .2-.3 grains more water than the 6.5-06.

From what I have heard and read, Ruger was not involved the 6.5 PRC, only Hornady--but the cartridge was designed just before Obama was reelected in 2012, and demand for ALL ammo and handloading components went sky-high, and stayed there until Trump was elected.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hesp
With out a main stream factory rifle being produced both the Gap & PRC are going no where. No matter what redeeming qualities they have , they absolutely require competitively priced factory rifles. Other wise it is an expensive alternative to other competitively factory produced rifle's. This lack of factory produced rifles is a killer. Ruger & Savage have both said no to either cartridge. Remington is dealing with bankruptcy & will not produce any cartridge that isn't a for sure seller. Winchester, very unlikely. No matter how much you love the Gap & PRC reality in the market place determines if a cartridge lives or dies.

For posterity

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
With out a main stream factory rifle being produced both the Gap & PRC are going no where. No matter what redeeming qualities they have , they absolutely require competitively priced factory rifles. Other wise it is an expensive alternative to other competitively factory produced rifle's. This lack of factory produced rifles is a killer. Ruger & Savage have both said no to either cartridge. Remington is dealing with bankruptcy & will not produce any cartridge that isn't a for sure seller. Winchester, very unlikely. No matter how much you love the Gap & PRC reality in the market place determines if a cartridge lives or dies.

For posterity

The PRC cartridges are about to really piss off the same crowd that hates the Creedmoors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

For posterity

The PRC cartridges are about to really piss off the same crowd that hates the Creedmoors.

Yup, let’s see, rifles are being made in 6.5 PRC by...

Christensen Arms
Sauer
Mauser
Bergara
Ruger
Savage
Browning
Seekins
MRC
Fierce
GAP
Gunwerks
Proof

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Makes me wonder how long Remington and Winchester will be around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems to me like Bergara is the new Remington. No matter what retailer I walk into the selection that’s most represented seems to be Bergara. There are so few Remington rifles on the shelves anywhere I figured they were out of business. Don’t see many Rugers or Winchester’s either. It’s kind of crazy to walk into Sportsman’s Warehouse and to think about what used to be on the shelves versus what you see now. Lots of higher end rifles from Kimber,MRC,CA,Cooper, and Fierce and then a healthy selection of Tikka and Weatherbys. Things sure have changed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing Scott’s pictures of his Havak Element and results with factory Hornady, I might have to “luck into one” during their Black Friday sale....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.