Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Alright guys, I’m in the market for a new rifle.

I’ve already decided on chambering - 300 win mag. I want to shoot at stuff way out there... out there being 600-1000 yards. This isn’t going to be a target rifle though, I’m buying it to hunt with, so weight is a concern. On that note and before we go further - I’m not planning on shooting at animals beyond 600 or so yards. I want it to be capable of repeatable accuracy at that distance though, and I figure a “thousand yard rifle” would take that failure out of the equation. I’d like a muzzle brake as well. Price point for rifle alone is $1200 give or take a couple hundred. Stainless or cerakote. I’d like it to stay under 8.5lbs.

Also a side note - what are people’s experiences having a sporter-ish weight barrel threaded? I’ll be honest - I’m a little scared to have it done at the risk of it being done wrong or robbing accuracy from an otherwise good barrel. I also realize that for what I want, a heavier barrel is likely going to be required.

My original thought was a CA in a Mesa or Ridgeline(since it’s on sale at Cabela’s). However, I don’t see many reviews of these rifles out there(not in 300 anyway). I’m sure they’re nice, and it seems like CA will stand behind them... but spending this much money I want to check all of my possibilities.

Remington. Yep, like I mentioned I want to check all my bases. If I went this route I’d be looking at a Sendero or AWR. Both would need a brake and a trigger. The sendero is definitely heavier than I want. The AWR doesn’t seem to have a heavy enough barrel. Most of the reviews I’ve seen on the sendero are from people who have an old one.

Browning XBolts - I have a few. I like them, but before they’re mentioned, I’m looking to try something different.

Tikkas - no. Their recent policy change is garbage. On top of that, I would need them to be threaded anyhow.

Savages - no. I have some and have nothing against them, but again, looking for something different.

Bergara - I’ve fondled a B14. For the price it seems so sweet. The reviews I’ve read are outstanding. However, I’m not sure the barrel is up to task - and with that said, it would also need to be threaded and cerakoted.

Weatherby - I’ve considered some of the vanguards. Some have the finish/brake options, however I’m not sure how I feel about the whole pencil barrel with a pressure point looking for a rifle that will do what I want.

Kimber - too much risk here.

Custom - not willing to spend the money or time.

I think that about exhausts my list.

Are there any rifles that I’m overlooking? In my position, what would you do?

Also, if I’m way off base on anything, please let me know. This is my first time looking at a rifle for this purpose. All I know is what I’ve read.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
For your price range it would be difficult to beat a Tikka. For a little over $100 you should be able to get a break put on it. Not sure what you don't like about there policy?

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with the tikka especially if you want a sporter weight, next choice would be a sendero. But as you said that’s a heavier gun.

Last edited by Dan700mn; 07/17/18.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
how about a sako

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Christensen arms seems to be popular everywhere but 24hourcampfire. I would take them over anything you mentioned. I have one and I own Sakos,Steyrs,Tikka rifles among others. I have a 6.5 creedmore Mesa. If I get another one it will be a 7mm or 300 mag.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’d say look for a deal on a Sako or go Tikka. Both will provide the accuracy you seek. Although they shoot with my heavier rifles accuracy wise, I find it takes more effort to shoot lightweight rifles as well. Perhaps it’s just my form.... Have you hunted with a rifle with a muzzle break? Makes hearing protection mandatory for you and anyone nearby. Been there, done that and won’t go back. It’s sometimes possible to set up unpressured. My hunting usually has events unfolding pretty fast..... Just my 0.02.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have you thought about a model 70 Extreme Weather? I have one in 270 Winchester and it's one of my most accurate rifles. My rifle weighs 7 lb 13 Oz with 3.5-10X40 Leupold scope, so you should be able to stay under 8.5 lb with a much heavier LR scope. I did buy my rifle used and I put it in a McMillan Edge stock, that put me about $1,250 into my rifle before adding my scope and after selling my Bell and Carlson stock. Mine is the first generation rifle, I hear the stocks are more svelte on the current rifles than mine was

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nosler or Montana Rifle Company?

Last edited by TxHunter80; 07/17/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Tikka T3 .338 Win bedded in a McMillan that weighs a few oz under 8lbs scoped and it's extremely accurate and easy to carry

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Broz at longrangeonly has good things to say about the CA Ridgeline and 215 Berger Hybrids. Just saying if that floats your boat.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffRaines
Alright guys, I’m in the market for a new rifle.

I’ve already decided on chambering - 300 win mag. I want to shoot at stuff way out there... out there being 600-1000 yards. This isn’t going to be a target rifle though, I’m buying it to hunt with, so weight is a concern. On that note and before we go further - I’m not planning on shooting at animals beyond 600 or so yards. I want it to be capable of repeatable accuracy at that distance though, and I figure a “thousand yard rifle” would take that failure out of the equation. I’d like a muzzle brake as well. Price point for rifle alone is $1200 give or take a couple hundred. Stainless or cerakote. I’d like it to stay under 8.5lbs.

Also a side note - what are people’s experiences having a sporter-ish weight barrel threaded? I’ll be honest - I’m a little scared to have it done at the risk of it being done wrong or robbing accuracy from an otherwise good barrel. I also realize that for what I want, a heavier barrel is likely going to be required.

My original thought was a CA in a Mesa or Ridgeline(since it’s on sale at Cabela’s). However, I don’t see many reviews of these rifles out there(not in 300 anyway). I’m sure they’re nice, and it seems like CA will stand behind them... but spending this much money I want to check all of my possibilities.

Remington. Yep, like I mentioned I want to check all my bases. If I went this route I’d be looking at a Sendero or AWR. Both would need a brake and a trigger. The sendero is definitely heavier than I want. The AWR doesn’t seem to have a heavy enough barrel. Most of the reviews I’ve seen on the sendero are from people who have an old one.

Browning XBolts - I have a few. I like them, but before they’re mentioned, I’m looking to try something different.

Tikkas - no. Their recent policy change is garbage. On top of that, I would need them to be threaded anyhow.

Savages - no. I have some and have nothing against them, but again, looking for something different.

Bergara - I’ve fondled a B14. For the price it seems so sweet. The reviews I’ve read are outstanding. However, I’m not sure the barrel is up to task - and with that said, it would also need to be threaded and cerakoted.

Weatherby - I’ve considered some of the vanguards. Some have the finish/brake options, however I’m not sure how I feel about the whole pencil barrel with a pressure point looking for a rifle that will do what I want.

Kimber - too much risk here.

Custom - not willing to spend the money or time.

I think that about exhausts my list.

Are there any rifles that I’m overlooking? In my position, what would you do?

Also, if I’m way off base on anything, please let me know. This is my first time looking at a rifle for this purpose. All I know is what I’ve read.

Think bullets first,not headstamps. Hint. Twist rate,throat geometry and COAL latitude are the mechanical factors,that allow one to choose bullets and less that melding,dots simply cannot be connected. Re-hint.

In Today's World,the 300 Winny is a poor choice,due those very mechanics. Wind is the Great Unknown,while Trajectory is a literal breeze and that fhuqking Pun...be intended. Hint. Yes I get it,that you assuredly do NOT get it and that is why this schit is reliably sooooooooo fhuqking funny. Re-hint.

If you reload,it's gonna be tough to whoop a Barrett FC in 7-08,with it's 8" RPM and 3" COAL,wearing a throat that'll cajole 180 ELD's to the lands at 2600fps ala .796 BC. Be sure to extrapolate said simplicity,Funtitude and Mild Mannerisms at 1200yds+,to any/all Delusions associated with your Imaginary 300 Winny. Hint. Then correlate the actual round count from such a forgiving platform,as opposed to something that'll beat you up in comparison and hurt results. Re-hint. Nobody has become proficient with a rifle,by talking about it and not shooting it and folks who are skilled...do not ask such foolish queries. Re-hint.

There is no correlation to a barrel's exterior dimensions,attributing to a Precision/Accuracy threshold. Bore tolerances,Smoothicity and throat geometry matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than contour. Hint. Ergo's just "happen" to matter more than a "smidge" too. Re-hint.

If you do not reload,the 6.5 Kreedmire is your Huckleberry(due the above mechanics/bullets) and again,I'd certainly opt the Barrett FC,if only because it adds options down the road. Added recoil,added noise,added weight,added barrel length,diminished mag capacity and added ammo expense,do not garner proficiency. Hint.

Now to connect dots: A "lowly" FC 7-08 squirting a 180 ELD at 2600fps ala 21" spout(Alpha false shoulders,200's,'17 and a Smooch),with a 200yd zero,will reach the 1150yd line at 2500' elevation,by just simply looking at the windshield. The 1500yd line is an exceedingly modest 15.7 Mil ele correction and 1000yd 10mph full value wind is 50.8",1250yds is 84" and but 130" at 1500yds...be sure to compare 300 Winny loads to same. It also happens to be wayyyyyyy Supersonic at 1500yds to boot and I rather like that particular projectile's performance,well beyond that distance. Hint. Keep in mind that the 215 Berger Hybrid in .308"(.691) has a BC shy of a .264" 147 ELD (.697) and of course the .284" 180 ELD (.796). the 7mm 180 ELD at 2600fps,is simply a Giant Killer. Pun be intended. Re-hint.

The quicker you fret that which matters(bullets),the faster you'll be able to connect dots. 6x MQ goes without saying,as do a 20MOA 1913 rail and 40MOA dumped in 'Horn rings...just saying. Spent primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

Thank me later.

It's never been difficult to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Re-Hint............................................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had several makes/brands of the type rifle you are considering as I prize a lightweight bolt action rifle chambered in .300 Win/.300 WSM.....currently I have a couple Tikka T3x Superlite's in .300 WM (Sportsmans warehouse version) also a Christensen Arms Ridgeline .300 WSM and a Kimber Subalpine .300 WSM but I have owned at one time or another Many Remington 700's, Browning X-Bolts and others all chambered in .300 Win...I would recommend a Tikka T3x, (and forget the muzzlebrake ) I have never had an issue with a Tikka rifle out of the 1/2 dozen or so I have owned and every one has been a sub MOA shooter....I Have no idea what your talking about with Tikka's change in policy....I will have an as new Tikka T3x Superlite for sale soon, its a sub MOA shooter with factory ammo ( not pet reloads) it has Mountain tactical Gen 1 bottom metal along with a heavy duty stainless bolt stop installed, stainless action screws and stainless bolt shroud....PM me if your interested....Good luck with your choice.....Hb

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by sidepass
Broz at longrangeonly has good things to say about the CA Ridgeline and 215 Berger Hybrids. Just saying if that floats your boat.

Thats likely the way I'll be going. That website is pretty awesome.

In any case, I can get the Ridgeline for around $1500 out the door... its a little more than I want to spend, then again it seems like much more rifle than the other options so...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Thats likely the way I'll be going. That website is pretty awesome.

In any case, I can get the Ridgeline for around $1500 out the door... its a little more than I want to spend, then again it seems like much more rifle than the other options so...

Not sure why you are ignoring Big Stick's advice if you are willing to spend that kind of dough. He might be a little abrasive in his delivery but he knows what he speaks.

There's a whole clan of stick haters that will be along soon to pile on and do their best to change the subject and shut him down, just like clockwork.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
In a local gun shop I saw a few M-700’s that had, I believe had 26”barrels and synthetic stocks (appeared to be HS Precision). I think they’re listed as Long Range something or other. IIRC they were in .300 Win mag, .308 and 6.5 CM.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I just did a search of “Remington Long Range” and it’s chambered in 25/06, 7 mag, 300 win mag, 300 ultramag and 30/06

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I got a chance to handle one of these in Cabela's, and really liked the feel and heft of it. Not sure what you mean about the barrel not being up to task - I've read a lot of good things about Bergara's barrels.

The Bergara Premier HMR Pro (Hunting and Match Rifle) is on my short list, and it comes cerakoted as well as threaded. It doesn't come in .300 Win mag, which is fine by me. It's as good a time as any to join Creed-Nation, I suppose. Street price is around $1500.

http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_hmr_pro_rifle.php

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington XCRII in a McMillan classic. You won't be disappointed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I keep thinking about one of those,then I read stuff about inconsistency with accuracy. It's hard to know if the problem is the Indian or the bow.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I keep thinking about one of those,then I read stuff about inconsistency with accuracy. It's hard to know if the problem is the Indian or the bow.

BS spread by misinformed shooters. I know of 2 gunshops that sell the chitt out of them and every last customer loves them to death. Both shops owners personally own them as well and they have targets on display from very satisfied customers. My creedmore Mesa is one heck of a consistently accurate rifle. Beauty of the internet

Now if Barrett made them .........................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.