Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ohio7x57; All,

Fwiw, ALL Jaguars in Latin America will take/kill/eat humans IF they get the chance.
I suspect that humans look like "several slow-moving, easily-caught, tasty meals" to El Tigre but nothing more than that.
(When we worked with the local Indios "way down there", MANY "lost or strayed children" became meals for El Tigre, though some unwary/unarmed adults also were preyed upon. - After such an incident, ALL that usually is found, if anything is found after a person is "taken", are small pieces of well-chewed bones & bits of bloody clothing.)

Much of the "usual diet" of the jaguar is monkey. = We humans too are primates & thus regarded as "meals W/O wheels".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Jaguars are the third largest of the "Big cats". Behind the tiger and Lion. In the Amazon they can grow to 400lbs.

Ron

Yep, size is one of the incidental differences between Jaguars and Leopards. That's insignificant when it comes to species classification. The same species can vary significantly in average size based on where they are found and how long they've been reproductively isolated from one another.

Jaguar and Leopard, side by side.

[Linked Image]

PS There was, until about 11,000 years ago, a subspecies of lion living in North America, which differed from its very close African cousin (the modern Lion of Africa) only by being, on average, larger, and possessing a somewhat heavier coat.

Here they are, the modern African lion and the extinct American lion, depicted side by side.

[Linked Image]

Their differences are somewhat akin to those between the Bengal and the Siberian Tiger.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
WOW................could have been much worse, cats are incredibly quick.

A late friend of mine was a PH (you might have known him Hi_Vel, Ridge Taylor from Jackson) & got mauled by a wounded leopard, & he was one of the best.

Nearly killed him & they had to beat it to death to get the animal off...............lucky day for him he wasn't killed.

Big cats are never to be taken lightly.

Guy in the truck prolly would have been happy to have any handgun during that episode.

MM

MM,

I'm not familiar with his name--I'll ask Bob if he knew him. To suffer an attack such as you mentioned--and survive it--is nothing short of amazing. Would imagine in addition to the stitches, he was likely put on some heavy duty antibiotics, with all of the bacteria they carry in their claws.

I know absolutely zero about these cats--have never even seen one.

I know some folks make light of his writings due to the hyperbole, but as a teen back in the early 1970's, I read several articles by Russell Annabel concerning the jaguar.

He was hired by some of the various ranchers in Mexico who were having problems with these big cats killing livestock. He used either a model 94 30/30 Winchester--or at other times--an autoloading 12 gauge shotgun stoked with magnum boosted #2's. I think these were far better choices than any handgun, whatever the rig. He used dogs, and as I recall, quite a number of them were torn up or killed. That would be tough to take...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore, heavy, hard cast.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

when i saw the open window, i figured that was coming...

obviously, few folks will ever encounter a jaguar or leopard in their daily routines.

far more likely it will be a pit bull, or other vicious, dangerous animal that can potentially maul.

while the 9mm is my favorite handgun cartridge, it is all of the dangerous dogs that caused me to re-evaluate this. i settled on the .45 auto about 17 years back, for every day concealed carry. and on occasion, the .40 S&W--as i'm more inclined to trust the heavier bullets in handguns when it comes to these aggressive urban animals.

.40's drop pitbulls very well.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi-Vel; deflave,

Pardon me for pointing out that Pitbulls are NOT jaguars & aren't 300-400 pounds of muscle/bone/claws/teeth. - I know of one El Tigre "way down there" who survived a shot in the chest by a 7x57mm Mauser from 30-40M long enough to severely maul the shooter & then disappear into the jungle. NO body was ever found, so we don't even know if the cat died.
(The shooter couldn't get off another shot, as the Model 93 Mauser jammed. = Those people who didn't clean/lubricate their firearms every day often had that problem, when working in the dripping jungle.)

That's why I carried a 12-gauge "sawed-off" DB loaded with #1 magnum buckshot all the time when we were in "jaguar habitat". = At pointblank range buckshot will "turn" most any critter, with the possible exception of a charging elephant..

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 07/18/18. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You mean, what ccw gun to carry with which to shoot oneself once caught and being gnawed upon by said jaguar? Well hell, you takes your pick.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by satx78247
deflave,

Pardon me for pointing out that Pitbulls are NOT jaguars & aren't 300-400 pounds of muscle/bone/claws/teeth. - I know of one "way down there" who survived a shot in the chest by a 7x57mm Mauser from 30-40M long enough to severely maul the shooter & then disappear into the jungle. NO body was ever found, so we don't even know if the cat died..

That's why I carried a 12-gauge "sawed-off" DB loaded with #1 magnum buckshot all the time when we were in "jaguar habitat". = At pointblank range buckshot will "turn" most any critter, with the possible exception of a charging elephant..

yours, tex

Rhino?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TheRealHawkeye,

The famous PH Harry Selby "turned" a wounded/charging rhino in 1954 with a double-barreled PURDEY shotgun. - I would presume that the DB was loaded with buckshot, though Robert Ruark didn't identify the load..

RSA Senior Game Ranger Leonidas H. Geist in 1962 literally decapitated a wounded lioness at "about one long step" away with a load of buckshot out of his trusty 16 x 16 x 9.3x74mm drilling. - He later described the result as "a near thing."

ADDENDA: Lord Robert Baden-Powell (YEP, the founder of the Boy Scouts) said in an article for THE LONDON SUN that he witnessed a man named Thomas Matthew Obenga "peel a wounded leopard off of a British LT, using a .303SMLE bayonet". = Lord Baden-Powell said that it was "The bravest act that I've yet witnessed."
As a result, PVT Obenga was promoted to SGT, The Kings Royal African Rifles.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 07/18/18. Reason: addenda/missing word

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I know hound hunters whose dogs have bayed up jaguars here in the states. One carries a double action .38 Special and the other carries a single action .357. None of he animals were shot--they were just photographed and let go. (They are classified as "endangered" under the ESA, and the last guy to kill one here in the U.S. spent some time in prison.) One has had the good fortune to have his dogs bay up two over the years--both big males. His photos are pretty impressive.

Last edited by mudhen; 07/18/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mudhen,

Here in TX, jaguars are listed as "invasive species" & as "vermin". According to TX law invasives, "- - - - - may be taken day or night, by any otherwise lawful means."
(I had no idea that any "invasive species" are protected by federal law/regulations.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 07/18/18. Reason: typos

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
deflave,

Pardon me for pointing out that Pitbulls are NOT jaguars & aren't 300-400 pounds of muscle/bone/claws/teeth. - I know of one El Tigre "way down there" who survived a shot in the chest by a 7x57mm Mauser from 30-40M long enough to severely maul the shooter & then disappear into the jungle. NO body was ever found, so we don't even know if the cat died.
(The shooter couldn't get off another shot, as the Model 93 Mauser jammed. = Those people who didn't clean/lubricate their firearms every day often had that problem, when working in the dripping jungle.)

yours, tex

Pardon me but I was replying to Hi Vel who had mentioned dangerous dogs.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jaguars are hardly an "invasive" species in Texas--their original range in the U.S. extended from southern Louisiana to southern California, and there are historical records from Texas as far north as the Red River. Texas Parks and Wildlife lists jaguars as an "extirpated" species--one which once inhabited Texas but which is no longer considered resident. However, there have been a few verified sightings of jaguars in far south Texas in recent years.

Federal protection for the species in the United States has resulted in a flurry of recent sightings in New Mexico and Arizona--and even the re-estalblishment of a couple of resident males in southern Arizona. Networks of trip cameras in southern Arizona now document the comings and goings of occasional wanderers from the breeding population in Tres Rios region of Sonora about 100 miles south of the border. Judging by the number of fresh pelts that turn up from time to time, they are fairly common in Chihuahua, south of us here in the Boot Heel of New Mexico, as well.

Last edited by mudhen; 07/18/18.

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
Well, I know hound hunters whose dogs have bayed up jaguars here in the states. One carries a double action .38 Special and the other carries a single action .357. None of he animals were shot--they were just photographed and let go. (They are classified as "endangered" under the ESA, and the last guy to kill one here in the U.S. spent some time in prison.) One has had the good fortune to have his dogs bay up two over the years--both big males. His photos are pretty impressive.

Were those guys intentionally baying jaguars, or were the jaguars unintentionally bayed as they were hunting mountain lions?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jaguars are also present in Quintana Roo, Yucatan. I was warned not to venture into a section of jungle adjacent to an off the beaten path bar and restaurant that I frequent when I'm diy fishing down there. There have been many sightings, including some black jaguars.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
local_dirt,

I would LOVE to see/photograph a BLACK jaguar. - Always heard reports of black cats from the Indios down there but I wasn't ever that lucky.
(I saw a "fairly dark" pelt but nothing that could be called black.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
local_dirt,

I would LOVE to see/photograph a BLACK jaguar. - Always heard reports of black cats from the Indios down there but I wasn't ever that lucky.
(I saw a "fairly dark" pelt but nothing that could be called black.)

yours, tex

Tex, google it. There are pics out there. A black jaguar was what I was specifically warned about in that area.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by mudhen

Were those guys intentionally baying jaguars, or were the jaguars unintentionally bayed as they were hunting mountain lions?

They were hunting mountain lions in all three instances. They had no idea that they had a jaguar until they caught up with the dogs. Good stories, but I won't relate them here.

Google Warner Glenn's book, "Eyes of Fire," and Jack and Anna Mary Childs' book, "Ambushed on the Jaguar Trail".

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was pretty sure you were talking about Warner Glenn. He's a hound man legend.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mudhen,

The late Mr. Richard D "Red" Rhea was a "hound man of note" from Gilmer, TX in my boyhood & one night his pack of Treeing Walkers treed a jaguar near Mercedes, TX about 1956-58. (I don't remember the year exactly but remember Mr. Rhea recounting his story more than once.). - He shortly thereafter called off the hounds & ended that night's hunting because of a heavy rain/wind/thunder storm coming up.
(Mr. Rhea was one of my dad's best friends during his USAAC WWII service & until his passing about 1960.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

169 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 31 invisible), 1,252 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.