24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
The lady and I and possibly a friend are looking for somewhere to shoot some PD that doesnt require a long walk as we are both disabled and unable to pack needed supplies a long distance. I used to hunt on Ted Turners ranch in SD but friend who runs the buffalo operation is no longer over the pd hunting and unable to get me in there. We are very flexible as to where we go . Just needing to get away and have a good shoot and enjoy a short get away. Anyone with a place to go or tips on where to look I would be very greatful for any info. I know it is short notice but we thought we had a spot to go but it fell through leaving me scrambling trying to find a place with good shooting and yet affordable as I said before but our incomes dont allow such getaways usually but the SD trip only cost me my room, food, gas and ammo and i always liked to tip the ranch manager for his kindness. We would like to do this before Aug 16th that is when our son goes back to school..... AGAIN I THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!!! Stay safe and shoot straight and best wishes to you all. May God Bless you along the way!!!!

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hope you find something. The days of free PD shooting that allow decent shooting are hard to come by, if not impossible.
The ranchers have found these rodents to be an income source.
Good luck.

NRA Patron
OP Offline
i wouldnt care to pay but there is no way i will pay $500-1000 per shooter per day. i simply cant afford to do so....That being being the case i would much rather save my money for large game. my bother has had some good shoots on blm ground but i need to look into it more for where to go this year.....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Asking for a good prairie dog spot is like asking for a guys favorite fishing hole... Ain't going to happen..

Molon Labe
OP Offline
I refuse to believe its not possible, because i have been shot down and turned away by many BUT, I also have been brought to tears by the generosity of some ppl i thought would of never gave me the time of day....All i can do is try to be the best i can be in the eyes of the Lord, cause for a lot of life i was dumb enough to think i was a lil tougher & wiser than most. It was repeatedly and clearly shown to me that my thinking was wrong!!! and it was my faith the i let fall behind was the ONLY thing that would carry me through my greatest struggles

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Some information, but may not help much. This late in the season most towns have been shot many times. The Dogs will be wild and shots will be long.

I know this because I am in Montana and this is what I found. It was not unexpected as I have shot this area for years. I have the good fortune to have a long history

with ranchers here. I do all I can to protect the trust that they have put in me. I always let them know when I am coming out. I always know where their livestock is.

Close gates, notice if a fence is down etc.

This will not help you just yet but if you go to P Dog country go places that ranchers are. The feed store, the cafe,farm supply stores. Ask locals if they know of places

to shoot. The Bureau of land management offices may have good leads for you. Driving off road on BLM is a no no and will yield a fine if caught.

You could find the trip was a total bust or you may find a place to shoot. If you find a place let your host know your appreciation.A box Candy for the wife, hosting a meal in town

or other things are nice.

Best of luck to you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another good source of leads/information in grain country is to stop by the local grain elevator. They usually know all the farmers and we even had one guy go around with us shooting for a day one time. It was a good resource and he really enjoyed himself as well.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
So very interesting. I thought I would try to help a new shooter. After posting the above and no response from germanshep I sent him a P-mail. He never read it.

So much for trying to help!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No good deed goes unpunished.

OP Offline
ipopum, Im so sorry it wasnt that i have ignored anyone on here and I very very much appreciate your help and info BUT, i tore my knee up and have been in hospital and Dr appts and been pretty well confined to my bedroom. I apologize for not being on here to check my messages, its just life has kept it real eventful for me as i had a friend over to see if he could help me with my truck and after a short ride we smelled gas he said pop the hood and as he did flames poured out from under the hood he yelled GET OUT!!! i had time to get my crutches and rifle and hop away and by the time i looked back anc called fire dept my truck to totally engulfed!!!!......DBrink i also want to thank you for the tip!! Like i said before i humbly thank y'all for any help!!!! and am sorry to have not been here to thank you in a timely manner!!!!

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Noted

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sending u a pm

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wyoming.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
South Dakota has miles of dog towns....

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Contact the Cattlemans association

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Be sure and leave your Fire truck at home.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.