-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll be watching for your distinctive carcass, Bob. Give a grunt when you arrive.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by mudhen
Getting closer...

I totaled all of the responses on this thread and came up with 32 "definites and 7 "maybes. I also queried a couple of folks who usually do attend that we haven't heard from yet.

If any of you who are reading are planning to attend and haven't chimed in yet, please let us know so we can make sure that we have enough food for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing all of you again!

Ben

Ben. I think that you already have us on the list, but we four are planning to be there. My wife and daughter are returning from a visit to Japan on Wednesday, July 25, so we won't be there until Friday at the earliest.

[snip]

I see that the formal dates are Friday, August 3 through Sunday the 5th, so I can allow more time for family to recover from Japan trip and so we may be there a little earlier. Will let you know. grin

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right now I have a 60% chance of making it. The wife might have to stay for family reasons - her father is in ill health- but I selfishly will take the girls. If the wife makes it, I may rent a small pop-up trailer for her. Is there enough room for a truck and trailer?
If she can't make, I cannot show off her cooking skills. But I can camp under a lean-to.

As we get closer and if I commit, please let us know what foodstuffs we should bring, or provide for ourselves.

Also, I have a fair amount of scrap lead in 1lb ingots, if any bullet or fishing weight casters need any. I cleaned out a homeless encampment behind the metal recycle yard and arrested one of the most prolific scrap metal burglars in town so the yard foreman loves me. He also loves my wife's cookies. We call it a fair trade.

You may think that sounds odd, but when the junkies steal $5000 worth of copper from a legitimate family business, you get my attention.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is plenty of room for another truck and trailer. There are no defined campsites, so you can pick a spot and claim it. I hope that things work out so that all of your family can come. We like having kids, and there seem to be more every year.

We have been spoiled by having Kent around to do all the cooking, but he is otherwise occupied this year so your wife's culinary skills would be much appreciated!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - the food and food-related needs will be posted here by the end of the week. Just look for the list and quickly chime in so we can keep it organized and not lack anything needed.

Much of the needed equipment is stored nearby or on the way, BUT please sign up to bring any of the following if you can.

One or two pop-up shade shelters for the shooting line area - or a large self-supported tarp with poles.

A few folding tables for the food service and eating situation.

Large insulated chest (with ice?) for bottled water/drinks.

Any sign-ups for the above?

And - be sure to bring a camp chair/seat for all in your group - there are times when we all tend to sit.

IC B2

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will bring a couple of folding tables, as usual, and the big Igloo water cooler. I will also bring the igloo "white whale" with ice, some drinks and bottled water. I can also bring some plastic eating utensils, if needed.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Ben.

We have you down for two folding tables, big water cooler and "white whale" igloo cooler with ice, some drinks and bottled water.

Any other among you all signing-up?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Thanks, Ben.

We have you down for two folding tables, big water cooler and "white whale" igloo cooler with ice, some drinks and bottled water.

Any other among you all signing-up?

I will sign up for something. I will wait until the dust settles and see what is still needed. Please post it or pm me.

The local Chicom outlet store, Harbor Freight, has 10 x 10 canopies for $65.

I was thinking of bring a horse shoe kit. Yikes, I thought finding bowling pins was hard. We will bring a kid's kit with rubber horse shoes and plastic stakes. We also want to bring another bow and some arrows.

The wife is wavering on going. This could be good news for you because she is a good cook. I did not get my girth on restaurant food. However, she ruins every trip for me. She is basically ZsaZsa Gabor from Green Acres. She is a city girl who is phobic about snakes. And Mosquitoes. And Bears. And Alligators. And anything outdoors. However, she loves road trips and seeing the world from inside a vehicle. I hope to ween her from her need of asphalt and antiseptics. I owe you a debt of gratitude as though she was terrified of the Tonto Basin, she remarked for days of how kind you were to her. She especially liked the wives and Kaywoodie, but who doesn't? And my daughters loved the dogs.

My mission is to get her used to Northern Arizona or Alamogordo New Mexico, both of whom are on my short list for retirement communities.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - good on you - we should be able to publish the food-related needs very soon. Waiting on leadership brass.

And - yes - bring that lovely lady. She will be treated even better than at Tonto. There will be more wives this time, and we will do our best to keep Kaywoodie under control. Also - there have been no mosguitoes in our experiences at Armijo Springs - and we have never experienced a bear, alligator or poisonous reptile in camp (well - some of the old farts may be venomous, but they've lost their fangs).

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If I think about it, I will bring some useful accoutrement and edibles! I just dunno now what I’ll find in the shop. Might get interesting!!! Especially little white powder and little chocolate donuts! They are always a hit with the munchkin population!!! And good for you!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right now, planning to make it.

How is the bowling pin search coming?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To put the question to the group - one of the rifles I'll use in the centerfire shoot will probably be the .220 Howell I bought from Joe Darby. It's a single shot Nesika action with a straight tapered barrel and single set trigger. I consider it pretty much a varmint rifle - any one have concerns about calling it a "sporter rifle", compliant to the rules? I'll use something slower for the steel shoot, as the .220 is probably exceeding the 3300 fps limit.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis is the final arbiter on these questions, and he runs a pretty tight ship. Probably should PM him.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Dennis is the final arbiter on these questions, and he runs a pretty tight ship. Probably should PM him.

done, thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patrick, do not sweat that issue - the .220 Howell certainly qualifies (sporting = varmint) especially in view of some of the heavy-barreled rifles some of us have used - and will again. It has been shot in these contests before - so plan to use it. If you are shooting the 75 grain, it sure will "probably" exceed the 3300 fps. I think this old cobbled .220H here does at least that. Maybe I'll use it somehow this year.

Yes - bowling pins are secured.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - - - - FOOD! We are expecting 40 eaters.

The Friday evening dinner is being covered by Darby, Madelyn and friend. Chili with garnishes, corn bread, deviled eggs, tortilla chips, etc..
IF SOMEONE WISHES TO BRING GREEN SALAD FIXINS OR EASY FRUIT (CHERRIES/WATERMELON, GRAPES, ETC), THIS IS THE TIME TO SIGN UP.
IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER TO BRING DESERT FOR THIS MEAL, THIS IS THE TIME.

The Saturday evening dinner will be headed up by Talus in AZ with crew - steaks provided by Miles Patton, some kind of good beans by Darby, and
WE WILL NEED 12 TO 15 POUNDS OF POTATO SALAD. VOLUNTEER HERE IF YOU WILL BRING THE POTATO SALAD.
IF YOU WANT TO VOLUNTEER TO BRING DESERT FOR THIS MEAL, THIS IS THE TIME.

The breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday will be headed up by OWL with crew. Those will be eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes - maybe griddle cakes.
ANY NEEDS FOR BREAKFAST INGREDIENTS WILL BE POSTED BY WEDNESDAY - THE ALTERNATIVE MAY BE A REQUEST FOR $$ DONATIONS TO COVER.
IF YOU WISH TO VOLUNTEER TO BRING FRUIT JUICE FOR BREAKFAST(S), THIS IS THE TIME.

f you would rather bring accessories, sign up here. We will need:
PAPER PLATES (HEAVY/SUBSTANTIAL TYPE - NOT FOAM) - NEED 160 - 200.
PLASTIC UTENSILS (FORK/KNIFE/SPOON) - NEED 160- 200
PLASTIC DRINK CUPS (NOT DINKY) - NEED 100
STRONG PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS (NOT THIN MIL) MAYBE A DOZEN

OTHER STUFF:
Be sure to bring your own coffee/tea mug.
Although some will bring drinks to share, bring whatever beverages you know you will need. We will bring some good well water to camp.
Also bring your own stuff for mid-day snacks/lunch/etc. And, bring a chair for each bottom.

We still are looking for one or two pop-up shelters or a big supported tarp for shade on the firing line. Let us know if you are bringing such.
Shooting benches/equipment always appreciated.

If I forgot anything, don't wait - shoot me now.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS WILL BE POSTED THIS WEEK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - paper plates and cups are covered, thanks to Donelle. She (and Jace and Jocelyn) are bringing the WATERMELON too.

Anyone for the plastic utensils?

And, the other stuff??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK - thanks for the prayers, rain dances and positive thoughts.

"Due to the decreasing risk of fire danger, the Gila National Forest will lift all fire restrictions across the forest effectively immediately. In addition, Fire Danger has been modified down to Moderate from Very High."

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up a roll of heavy-duty 55-gallon drum liners while I was at the local mercantile. Trash bags are covered.

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DRIVING

From the north: US Rte. 60 west from Socorro, NM or east from Springerville, AZ.
In Quemado, NM, take NM Rte. 32 south for about 18 miles, passing mile marker 24

From the south: New Mexico Rte. 12 to Apache Creek, NM, north on NM Rte.32 for about 23 miles (pass mile marker 23)

Look for sign “Armijo Springs”, turn east on CR A021 and proceed about 4 miles.

Turn right at “Y”, drive a bit and listen/look for the commotion.

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.