24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well the boy and I were lucky enough to draw buck tags for unit 15 off of the leftover draw list. Doesn’t look like the greatest unit for mule deer (kind of thick) but at least it’s an opportunity. Anyone here ever hunt unit 15 for deer? Are there enough deer in there to say well have a good shot at a buck if we work hard. Gonna do a few scout trips up there next month. The good thing is my son can pick up an OTC elk tag so we’ll have a shot at either should the opportunity arise.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know anything about Colorado but where are you scouting? How about making an ongoing story we can follow from beginning to end?

Pics would make it even better. Screen shots of maps etc.

I assume you get drawn for an area, find public land, check maps for access, terrain etc. Scout, re-scout, scout some more then go once season gets here>

Are you going to still hunt or spot and stalk or both?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would contact the Parka and wildlife conservation officer ie game warden. They will be a wealth of knowledge for you. When I was hunting up in 12 in 2016 they see my plates on my Alaska license plate on my truck and they would pull on in to camp to bs and wonder why a fella from Alaska was down in Colorado hunting LOL. Anyhow I asked them where the best place to try deer and they told me to go into unit 13 sure enough I found me a decent little 4x4 to shoot.. I would imaging the officer is located in Steamboat springs as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Don't know anything about Colorado but where are you scouting? How about making an ongoing story we can follow from beginning to end?

Pics would make it even better. Screen shots of maps etc.

I assume you get drawn for an area, find public land, check maps for access, terrain etc. Scout, re-scout, scout some more then go once season gets here>

Are you going to still hunt or spot and stalk or both?

Mike

All of the above. One of the best tools I’ve discovered for hunting here is the OnX maps on my phone, they clearly identify private property which is pretty important here. Helps you know where you have access and where you don’t.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool!

Look forward to seeing how it turns out..

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Well the boy and I were lucky enough to draw buck tags for unit 15 off of the leftover draw list. Doesn’t look like the greatest unit for mule deer (kind of thick) but at least it’s an opportunity. Anyone here ever hunt unit 15 for deer? Are there enough deer in there to say well have a good shot at a buck if we work hard. Gonna do a few scout trips up there next month. The good thing is my son can pick up an OTC elk tag so we’ll have a shot at either should the opportunity arise.

I've hunted it a few years - PM me and I'll give you the skinny on what I know. I only hunted deer once, elk the other times. I didn't get a buck but saw a lot of does.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If my memory is correct unit 15 covers the Gore Pass area by Kremmling. If I am right you can go up on Gore Pass and take the Rock Creek Road. There are a lot of closed off logging roads there that you can walk and glass the hillsides. I grew up in CO and that was an area I hunted a lot for deer and elk, mostly in the blackpowder season, and I took a good amount of game out of there. But that was a long time ago and work took me to TX so I haven't hunted it in years. There is a DOW office in Hot Sulphur Springs which is just down the road. I suggest contacting them and ask a bunch of questions.

Good Luck.

Be careful what you ask for because you just may get it someday.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Feel free to PM me....I've hunted elk there, and while not successful, could have scored on quite a few deer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.