Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So what do you think of the La Rue vs others (besides pricing)? Just curious.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rost495
One thing to learn in the process is the fit upper to lower, matters not unless you are trying to win matches or shoot 1000 yards with the gun and even then it doesn't make much difference.... at 300 yards its under a half inch difference in overall 10 shot group sizes, actually I think it was less than that but I can't seem to recall

You can always just throw in an acu wedge to tighten things up too.

Accuracy is one point.

I can't stand a floppy rattling gun. Even a cheap ugly rifle shouldn't act like a can of spare parts. IMHO.

And it is just an opinion, but a loose gun feels broken to me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
One thing to learn in the process is the fit upper to lower, matters not unless you are trying to win matches or shoot 1000 yards with the gun and even then it doesn't make much difference.... at 300 yards its under a half inch difference in overall 10 shot group sizes, actually I think it was less than that but I can't seem to recall

Accuracy is one point.

I can't stand a floppy rattling gun. Even a cheap ugly rifle shouldn't act like a can of spare parts. IMHO.

I don't care how tight you think your rifle is, an accu wedge will make it better.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So what do you think of the La Rue vs others (besides pricing)? Just curious.

I'll let you know when they come in. I have heard nothing but good about them then got an email explaining why they went from $250 down to $87. No longer doing runs when time allows, set up space and dedicated a crew to building triggers. Celebrating till Christmas with $87 prices. I ordered 2 and will see what all the fuss is about.

I'll let you know.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
that gives time for reviews and ordering then for once. 250 would be a nutty price unless its a perfect type trigger.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Accuracy is one point.

I don't care how tight you think your rifle is, an accu wedge will make it better.

Wanna bet? LOL

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Accuracy is one point.

We all have opinions. Good things start with accuracy. Beyond that its all gravy. But I just refuse to get hung up on looks. And rattling bothers me but it doesn't affect accuracy so its low on my worries list.

Once I'd been handed my tail to me a number of times by a guy with a ratty M70 action, chrome moly barrel that had clear coat on it an rust showing... and a wooden stock that had bondo here and there to make it fit right, and primer gray in spots... I gave up on vanity, learned what really mattered in life and kept moving forward.

Kinda like vehicles in some ways too... not washed and a few dents is liable to have a solid engine/ transmission and thats way better than the shiny caddy's with chrome that are show and junk.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A buddy of mine qualified expert(?) with an old beat up Hydromatic A1 if I recall correctly. Loved that gun even though the gap between upper and lower was so wide you could read the paper between it. It rattled and had little finish left on it but it shot great.

He got a brand new A2 and just knew he was gonna do better with it. He barely scraped by...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
A buddy of mine qualified expert(?) with an old beat up Hydromatic A1 if I recall correctly. Loved that gun even though the gap between upper and lower was so wide you could read the paper between it. It rattled and had little finish left on it but it shot great.

He got a brand new A2 and just knew he was gonna do better with it. He barely scraped by...

I liked the A1 better than the A2. I know the military is stuck on the 1/7 twist but for a 62 grain bullet I prefer a 1/8 twist. The 1/12 of the A1 worked great with a 55 grain bullet. Maybe it was psychological but I preferred the A1 more.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I look forward to hearing how they compare to a geiselle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just look forward to how they compare to the RRA varmint at least

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just look forward to how they compare to the RRA varmint at least

Ha ha... We'll find out.. TWR is a straight shooter..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
here's my crazy suggestion:

optional: buy a new complete AR so you have a working one to see how they work.

not so optional: watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to assemble the lower.

buy a lower at your dealer as described above... or buy 2 or 3

buy a PSA upper with a lower parts kit, they have one on sale today, every day...

build the lower using what you learned in the videos. You might also want to buy a few tools: the roll pin starter punches, regular punches, the wrench for the buffer tube castle nut, Wheeler has a nice tool for the trigger guard pin.

buy a bunch of magazines, some optic (PSA will have that on sale too, if not today, later this week)

buy a case of 55gr brass case ammo (everyone has that on sale this year)

go have fun!

later you can build another, you got more than one lower, right?.... and then another.... eventually you'll get bored with .223/5.56 that's OK there are a coupla dozen other caliber options.

WARNING! these things are addictive

Poole

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
AERO has a lower that replaces some pins with screws...and has a useful built in trigger guard. Add a LaRue or Timney trigger and there is not much need for the roll pin punches. that should remove stress and about 75% of the build time. The AERO has a screw located on the rear of the lower just aft of the grip screw, it allows the screw to contact the upper real lug to take away the rattle. AERO may or may not be the best recievers but they are popular in the Pacific Northwest. They are priced near the bottom end.
My priority is the barrel, then the trigger. I am open minded but basically conservative on the AR doo-dads.
>>>BILL, I did buy an AR15 just befor my first build ...see "how to buy an AR 15" But, I also had Ed "too many letters" here and his tool kit with reaction bar and I watched him assemble an upper then I just copied what he did, that.... took about an hour.
>>>The over the counter Ruger out shot my build shot for shot (all handloads)... until yesterday when the build outshot the Ruger. Seems the Black Hole barrel likes Benchmark and Nosler 53 Varnageddons...

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Uncas
Add a LaRue or Timney trigger and there is not much need for the roll pin punches. that should remove stress and about 75% of the build time.

What does the trigger type have to do with roll pin punches?

I'm starting to think you know less about the AR than most of the folks you're preaching to here.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Come on Yondering, I got that in his first paragraph on his "how to buy" thread but it has been entertaining...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
here's my crazy suggestion:

optional: buy a new complete AR so you have a working one to see how they work.

not so optional: watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to assemble the lower.

buy a lower at your dealer as described above... or buy 2 or 3

buy a PSA upper with a lower parts kit, they have one on sale today, every day...

build the lower using what you learned in the videos. You might also want to buy a few tools: the roll pin starter punches, regular punches, the wrench for the buffer tube castle nut, Wheeler has a nice tool for the trigger guard pin.

buy a bunch of magazines, some optic (PSA will have that on sale too, if not today, later this week)

buy a case of 55gr brass case ammo (everyone has that on sale this year)

go have fun!

later you can build another, you got more than one lower, right?.... and then another.... eventually you'll get bored with .223/5.56 that's OK there are a coupla dozen other caliber options.

WARNING! these things are addictive

Poole

This made me chuckle. Exactly.
Anderson lowers bought 2 @ 39.00 ea. Sat in the safe till Trump elected.
PSA started having hellacious sales right around Christmas lower build kit 69.00 free shipping.
Couple months later 1/8 stainless freedom upper w/ bcg/ch and mbus sight 319.00 free shipping.
1000 rounds 55 Federal 249.00 + 5 cents per round rebate and free shipping.
1000 round 62 gr Federal 299.00 + 5 cents per rebate and free shipping.
20 magpuls 7.99 over 10 and free shipping
Shoots good enough for a steel half man/ pig target with irons to the 300 which is all I wanted.

Swifty
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And if that's all you wanted then that's fine.

Some want more...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love this place. Quick if your ar is ejecting at 1:00 what time is it?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I love this place. Quick if your ar is ejecting at 1:00 what time is it?

Time for a heavier buffer weight.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,269
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.