Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i have this old model vaquero that has a heavy trigger pull, and trying to think of ways to rectify some of that.
some of this seems to mean replacing the springs from the factory.
how about the 30oz rather than the 40oz trigger spring?
and what weight spring on the hammer?
thoughts

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Replacing the springs will help. I wouldn't change the hammer spring though for a couple of reasons. Is the trigger pull "gritty"? Have you used a gauge to measure the trigger pull? How light do you want to go? Would you consider stoning the mating surfaces?

Up front I'd change the trigger spring and stone the mating surfaces. I'd go no further.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
doesn't feel gritty, but don't have a guage, that is probably a thought to take it somewhere and get it measured. probably around 2.5lb. and i have looked at stoning the surfaces but haven't ever done it.
main issue is on full cock y ou go to pull the trigger and it's what i would call mushy. There isn't a distinct breakpoint sharp and smooth if that makes sense.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Better sell it Ron. I'd give you $50 grin If you could drive out to Mesa to deliver it to me. If I have to drive to your home, $35. - LOL

Find out who the reputable Vaquero smiths are and contact them.

Good luck Ron.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can always try the old trick of removing the grips and un-hooking one leg of the trigger spring.

This is known as the "poor man's" trigger job for a new model Ruger SA

Virgil B.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy the Wolf kit with 3 different hammer springs. If the lightest won't reliably fire, use the next heavier.
I have only had one that didn't work with the light spring. And it was a very well worn Super Blackhawk.
My newer Blackhawks have worked fine.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Getting the "you don't have an old model vaquero, you have an old style, large frame vaquero" out of the way.... wink

This is a tough one to answer without sounding like a snarky jerk. (I know, too late) They're real easy to do action work on, but if you had the ability you probably wouldn't be asking right? smile

I've tried a few reduced power main springs and trigger return springs over the years and ended up removing all of them and throwing them away. I did not care for the slower lock time/hammer fall. You will see some people laugh at that, say that they use them and don't notice any difference. I have no doubt that that is true, for them. But that says more about them and their shooting than the guns/springs. laugh

One FREE thing you can do is tune your trigger return spring. It costs nothing and will do a better job than a reduced power one, which can feel mushy or hang up resetting.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

Last edited by cas6969; 07/26/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Understand a primer needs to be struck with a certain force to be accurate. I actually put a stronger hammer spring in. Then I do the metal work and trigger spring. I got my Vaquero to 1-1/2# with no creep. You can reshape the trigger spring. Watch the transfer bar with too light a trigger as it will drop off the firing pin. I make longer ones by hand to fit better. If the trigger kicks forward at a pull, you can miss fire or hang fire. You drop the transfer bar..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.