Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This makes for interesting video..... is this discussed in LEO training? Looks like it worked... Not sure if this guy will ever hear again???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfac5DxRchk&ab_channel=NewYorkPost

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It must be SOP. This is the second vid in a month I've seen a cop do it.

Whatever works I guess. Seems reckless but wtf do I know.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A lot of rounds were flying back and fourth in that video. Rather they be going out than coming in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A friend of mine did that in the early 1990s before it was "a thing." It just wasn't on YouTube. What are you supposed to do if people are shooting at you? Quit because there's a windshield between the two of you?

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The officer is responsible for every round going out the windshield. Reckless at best. Would have been deafening in the squad car. And then, empty magazine into stopped vehicle. The officer needs some serious training.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
There's a 7 page thread going on about this same video here on the front page...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Does add another dimension to '...Has he been Mirandized yet!?!?!?...'

Last edited by muffin; 07/17/18.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know the New Jersey state Police practice shooting left handed oot the drivers side window while going in reverse! Done while practicing night shooting. Why would you shoot your windshield out when it's the only thing protecting you?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Shooting through a windshield isnt strange, odd, or reckless....at all. I see your video and raise you.....

https://youtu.be/Il5M63dxe7o

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 07/17/18.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by spencer516
The officer is responsible for every round going out the windshield. Reckless at best. Would have been deafening in the squad car. And then, empty magazine into stopped vehicle. The officer needs some serious training.

You are absolutely right. He should have sent a text message to the murder suspects and told them to stop shooting.

You don't know what you are talking about.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sako76
I know the New Jersey state Police practice shooting left handed oot the drivers side window while going in reverse! Done while practicing night shooting. Why would you shoot your windshield out when it's the only thing protecting you?

Do you think the windshield protected the turds in the getaway vehicle from his bullets? It would not appear so.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
This makes for interesting video..... is this discussed in LEO training? Looks like it worked... Not sure if this guy will ever hear again???

He may have to ask people to repeat themselves from now on, but they won't be planning his funeral tomorrow. When the gunfight starts, the only thing that matters is that you WIN.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Those cats at NJSP are high speed low drag, I guess. The deal is, though, that THIS individual officer, was thinking enough to know that he would be more accurate shooting strong hand with support, even if it meant shooting through his own windshield. My guess is that the first shot was loud, but then again, maybe not. During a SNS dump, it is pretty common for auditory exclusion to kick in.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The scumbags are dead, he's not. Call safe lite auto glass and get that car ready for the next shift.

Last edited by Pat85; 07/17/18.

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I remember bowfishing as a kid.... you had to aim low to compensate for the light refraction IIRC.... probably something similar with shooting through a windshield... maybe related to the model of car and angle of windshield..... inquiring minds and all grin

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The fuggers were shooting at the cop, what did you want him to do, hide under the dash like that coward in Broward county did?
He fought back and won. As far as I'm concerned we need more just like him.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The mag dump at the end was highly appropriate. Scumbag deserved every bullet that made it into him.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i can remember our firearms instructor setting up a training course for us. using a vehicle

the scenario was you rolled up on a dispute in progress, upon arrival you immediately see things have deteriorated to the point of several individuals pointing guns at you..how do you react. aside from obvious tactical order.

most people exited the car using it for cover. i shot through the wimdshield before exiting the vehicle and seeking cover.

even with ear peotection it was loud.

bullets traveled fine through the glass and struck the targets

as fsr as the mag dumo at the end. if someone is engaging me in a rolling gunfight and upon exiting if ind them still attempting to continue that fight they are gonna get shot until they stop...either continuing the fight or breathing

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Windshields are cheap, funerals are expensive.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Killed one, got lead into the other, and took two murder suspects off the streets with zero innocents hit.

The results indicate he was sufficiently trained.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can he still hear?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We were shooting through windshields in training 10 years ago. Car doors, drywall and all kinds of other stuff to show our people where you can and can't look for cover and how to exploit your adversarys choice of cover. A good firearms program is training their people how to win gunfights, not punch paper.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This time around...that mag change was atrociously slow and clumsy at a time when some quick ballsy perp could have him pinned and drilled in his PV...
what one may be able to do at the academy may not translate to the street.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
. From the looks of it, and from what I know, it ain't protecting you from bullets...

And they practice this stuff a lot. Bullets fly true.

And IIRC police are less responsible for where their bullets end than a civilian, I'm not sure where I stand on that part.

but shooting through the windshield was smart, proven and worked again.

I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be, that folks can be so ignorant.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you shoot your windshield out when it's the only thing protecting you?

Because it’s not bullet proof.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I may have to adopt this one. Should I have the student look where he is driving or shooting? crazy I have to call bullsheit!

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fighting to win often makes no sense to many folks. Sometimes fighting to win puts others at risk. Sometimes it makes no sense. Lots of times it keeps one alive. Unorthodox keeps folks alive often. get out of the car and kneel behind the door often kills.

YMMV but I know I value me enough I"ll do whatever. Even if its in reverse while firing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Laffin’.........reckless?

You need to account for the angle of the windshield (shooting in or out), other than that there’s not much to it besides the noise/concussion. It takes more time to learn to draw efficiently de the confines of a cruiser.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Fighting to win often makes no sense to many folks. Sometimes fighting to win puts others at risk. Sometimes it makes no sense. Lots of times it keeps one alive. Unorthodox keeps folks alive often. get out of the car and kneel behind the door often kills.

YMMV but I know I value me enough I"ll do whatever. Even if its in reverse while firing.

I am all for doing what it takes to win. Being in charge of a range and the safety of everyone on it pretty much makes the shooting weak handed out a car window while driving in reverse an impossible exercise to monitor for an instructor during training. Most shooters can't hit a target consistently at 7 yards weak handed, let alone shooting out a car window while driving in a direction you aren't looking. Spray and pray at best or driving blind, you pick which is the better option. Accident waiting to happen, which is unacceptable on the range.

With that said we have done some things with Simmunitions that would be impossible to simulate with live fire. Not ideal but the only way to do some training exercises and keep everyone safe.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My son once told me he was trained to shoot left handed out the driver’s side window while reversing fast, during his training for personnel protective services work while in the Navy.

When I was a kid, a guy my father and I used to go shooting with had been a deputy sheriff in the days of split windshields. He said they were trained, in high speed pursuit work, to knock out the passenger side windshield, rest their carbine (94 Winchester .32 Specials) over the dash, butt against the seat back, and fire as the opportunity arose. Disappointed that he never got a chance to try it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It looked to me like the officer was square to the target (suspect vehicle) before he started shooting the first time (after trying to decide whether to shoot earlier under less ideal circumstances), and his shots are pretty straight on at the suspect vehicle. (We cannot see what is in front because of the position of the camera but he should have had a good view of the street in front of the car. We do know that they did not meet any vehicles traveling in the opposite direction, which supports an inference that the road was clear ahead of the suspect vehicle.) The officer even took some shots two handed. He had a really solid target the second time (which was angled but at a solid vehicle and at closer range), with a solid building wall toward the latter part. He also appears to have a very solid target and backstop firing into the vehicle the third time. Contrary to your assertion, the vehicle was not stopped. It was trying to back up and then pulled forward, probably to get around the police car or to run over the officer. The suspects had shot at the officer multiple times earlier and gave no reason to believe that they were done shooting at that point. The officer also warned a bystander to get down, and the perps easily could have shot the bystander or turned it into a hostage deal had the officer not pinned them down by continuing to shoot. (Also, if you will dump rounds at the police, you will dump rounds in a Walmart or school if you get away on foot.) To me, it appears to square with the bulk of the federal case law in use of force situations. (Can’t speak to Nevada state law or specific Ninth Circuit case law.) The deaf part is on the officer, and it's like taking cancer drugs-bad, but better than the alternatives.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 07/17/18. Reason: refer to Ninth Circuit

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

LMAO who the fugg is this guy?

Why would you shoot your windshield out when it's the only thing protecting you?

Protecting you from what? Bugs?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
It must be SOP. This is the second vid in a month I've seen a cop do it.

Whatever works I guess. Seems reckless but wtf do I know.

When the real schitt hits the fan, you take calculated risks that seem counter-intuitive. Real gunfights aren't a day at the square range session.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If I can shoot burrets through my windshield, from inside, exactly what is it protecting me from inbound from the outside?

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's the dumbest fahqin' statement I've read here today. I don't think it's the officer that needs the serious training here about the real world.

Z
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Starman's wingman.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The officer responded great and using two hands with a sight picture is so much smarter than some hanging an arm out the window movie bs.

The reload was fine too. Adrenaline pumping, talk on the radio, yell at suspects, seat belt, car in park or neutral, door open, eject mag, reload, work the slide all while keeping focus on two bad guys.

I realize many people run dry runs in their brain and do it flawless and smooth every time...welcome to REALITY.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Yup. Real life isn't a square range.

Z
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Spot on opinion.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would think that reckless or not,I don't know of anyone of us that wouldn't be shooting back as fast and good as we could if we were being shot at. Yea,in I might be responsible for every round but the main thing going through someone's mind right then is surviving,not to hold back because someone could get hurt.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/17/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd think one would have a sensation of his head imploding every time a round was fired. That had to have hurt, and he'll most certainly file for a hearing disability in the near future.
As a stupid kid, I once fired a round through the open rear window of a station wagon from the driver's seat. Rest assured, I will never do that again.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/17/18.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I would think that reckless or not,I don't know of anyone of us that wouldn't be shooting back as fast and good as we could if we were being shot at.
Yea,in I might be responsible for every round but the main thing going through someone's mind right then is surviving,not to hold back because
someone could get hurt.

thats interesting, that cop fired 30 rounds...now what if a person with their family had police rounds whiz past and hit some of their family,

would you consider that a threat you are entitled to give an armed respond to?...first utmost priority is to look after yer family...
hence neutralise ANY imminent threat as best and as rapidly as one can.....or does that liberty only apply to cops?

I doubt cops would be too happy or understanding if you hit and killed one of theirs when just trying to look after your family.
do you think LE would refrain from attempting to prosecute you?

now keep in mind... cops will approach the wrong home with a no-knock warrant and shoot dead the totally innocent resident
for simply trying to protect himself from an invasive threat...and police will argue to the judge that their actions were totally justified.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

He may have to ask people to repeat themselves from now on, but they won't be planning his funeral tomorrow. When the gunfight starts, the only thing that matters is that you WIN.

Good job. He didnt hide in a stairwell or outside the school.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stevelyn

If I can shoot burrets through my windshield, from inside, exactly what is it protecting me from inbound from the outside?

He may be a democrat.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't know that it's taught but it makes perfect sense to fire through a soft barrier to hit something on the other side.

spencer and starman should less time spooning with one another.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't know that it's taught but it makes perfect sense to fire through a soft barrier to hit something on the other side.

It is taught in my training classes.

Z
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wrote that poorly.

I was trying to say I don't know if that cop or other cops I've seen recently were taught to do it or just did it instinctively.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We trained for shooting through windshields at the Sheriff's Office here in Florida. Of course it is a last ditched effort to save yourself, but it works! You need to at least try and send all the rounds through the same hole in the windshield, but it can be done with accuracy. One of the instructors was easily able to hit steel targets at 15 meters consistently. If someone is approaching your vehicle and firing at you....shooting back through the windshield works!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
In the heat of a gun battle, the cop's not going to take the time to Mirandize someone intent on killing him.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman

thats interesting, that cop fired 30 rounds...now what if a person with their family had police rounds whiz past and hit some of their family,

would you consider that a threat you are entitled to give an armed respond to?...first utmost priority is to look after yer family...
hence neutralise ANY imminent threat as best and as rapidly as one can.....or does that liberty only apply to cops?

I doubt cops would be too happy or understanding if you hit and killed one of theirs when just trying to look after your family.
do you think LE would refrain from attempting to prosecute you?

now keep in mind... cops will approach the wrong home with a no-knock warrant and shoot dead the totally innocent resident
for simply trying to protect himself from an invasive threat...and police will argue to the judge that their actions were totally justified.

When you've got nothing to offer, change the topic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
In the heat of a gun battle, the cop's not going to take the time to Mirandize someone intent on killing him.

One of the dudes' names was Miranda. He exercised his right to remain silent.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Whoooooooooosh!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 007FJ
The officer responded great and using two hands with a sight picture is so much smarter than some hanging an arm out the window movie bs.

The reload was fine too. Adrenaline pumping, talk on the radio, yell at suspects, seat belt, car in park or neutral, door open, eject mag, reload, work the slide all while keeping focus on two bad guys.

I realize many people run dry runs in their brain and do it flawless and smooth every time...welcome to REALITY.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd think one would have a sensation of his head imploding every time a round was fired. That had to have hurt, and he'll most certainly file for a hearing disability in the near future.
As a stupid kid, I once fired a round through the open rear window of a station wagon from the driver's seat. Rest assured, I will never do that again.

you don't even think about any of that when you are in a fight.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://youtu.be/5locEWj1rMU

Might want to watch this.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mirandized?......really? Obviously someone doesn't know Dik about the law!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Seems like it could make driving more difficult if you completely spider web the windshield in front of you while driving..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aim low when shooting through a windshield. Don't worry about your hearing or spiderwebs, put the threat down.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Aim low when shooting through a windshield. Don't worry about your hearing or spiderwebs, put the threat down.

I agree, when not driving. Could make it a little hard to continue a high speed pursuit when you can't see (driving), though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Mirandized?......really? Obviously someone doesn't know Dik about the law!

Ron

Do you know the name of the ones that were shot........................ did you read the article????

Sheeeeesh, some of this group is a bit obtuse................. Or maybe my attempt at a little levity was too cryptic............

Ernest Arturo Miranda( the guy from Arizona, the guy in the LANDMARK SCOTUS RULING) - 'you have the right to, yadda, yadda, yadda.........'

OR

Fidel Miranda (THE GUY IN THE ARTICLE, THE GUY IN THE CAR, THE GUY THAT GOT SHOT) - Bam, Bam.....bambambam,....Bam, Bam..................

Rant - OFF

It's probably MY fault..................

Last edited by muffin; 07/18/18.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is taught in my training classes.
Spooning?

J/K.....lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Also aim low when the enemy is riding Shetland ponies.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The officer was coming to a stop and was shooting through the windshield as suppressive fire so they couldn’t take aim while he got out of the car. I’m pretty sure he didn’t expect to actually hit them but it sure made it safer to exit his car.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This time around...that mag change was atrociously slow and clumsy at a time when some quick ballsy perp could have him pinned and drilled in his PV...

The video I watched showed a cop in high speed pursuit, navigating heavy traffic, reporting the activity over the radio and still manages to stay on the perp’s ass, get his pistol out and fire at the perp!

Michael Jordan’s best antics on a basketball court wouldn’t rival this guy’s physical prowess in this incident. Your criticism is about as valid as those desk jockeys that wanted to castigate Chesley Sullenberger...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My guess is that the first shot was loud, but then again, maybe not. During a SNS dump, it is pretty common for auditory exclusion to kick in.
Auditory exclusion doesn't mean you aren't deafened by the sound, it just means you don't notice being deafened.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The video I watched showed a cop in high speed pursuit, navigating heavy traffic, reporting the activity over the radio and still manages to stay on the perp’s ass, get his pistol out and fire at the perp!

Michael Jordan’s best antics on a basketball court wouldn’t rival this guy’s physical prowess in this incident. Your criticism is about as valid as those desk jockeys that wanted to castigate Chesley Sullenberger...

Starboy hasn't done anything in his miserable life. Therefore he doesn't KNOW anything. He's just another sockpuppet troll.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would love to read the write-up for whatever commendation this cop deserves. He was awesome.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
The officer was coming to a stop and was shooting through the windshield as suppressive fire so they couldn’t take aim while he got out of the car. I’m pretty sure he didn’t expect to actually hit them but it sure made it safer to exit his car.

That makes more sense, then. Good work by the officer.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The officer did fine!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
WOW! +P+

After seeing many of the responses, I'm wanting to make reservations to take Crimson Tide and NHK9 with me to any type of gunfight...

Besides, I've seen both of them shoot....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone
My guess is that the first shot was loud, but then again, maybe not. During a SNS dump, it is pretty common for auditory exclusion to kick in.
Auditory exclusion doesn't mean you aren't deafened by the sound, it just means you don't notice being deafened.

I'm well aware of auditory exclusion and deafness. I have the T shirt for both. If you read my post closely, you'll notice I didn't say anything about AE preventing hearing loss.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
WOW! +P+

After seeing many of the responses, I'm wanting to make reservations to take Crimson Tide and NHK9 with me to any type of gunfight...

Count on cheating. It is my policy.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

I have zero desire to get into the OP’s conversation....

Good on the cop for killing bad guys.... but... the cheerleading is a bit much.

“Michael Jordan’s best antics on a basketball court wouldn’t rival this guy’s physical prowess in this incident”

No. Anyone that’s actually skilled could, and would tear it apart. Just because he or an innocent didn’t die, doesn’t mean he’s better at his “game” than a world class athlete is at their “game”.

This-

“high speed pursuit, navigating heavy traffic, reporting the activity over the radio and still manages to stay on the perp’s ass, get his pistol out and fire at the perp”

Is called his job. It’s what should be expected, and mandated from him and his coworkers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well you have your say and as wrong as you may be you are entitled to do so. Michael Jordan, Ted Williams or Wayne Gretzky performed at the top of their respective sports, but they trained with controlled circumstances knowing if they goofed up they could do it over.

You really need to get shot at during a high speed chase and you may change your mind about his job description and the practice a cop gets to deal with those circumstances.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing we always did right after a mission or exercise was an After Action Review or "Hot Wash". This allowed us to point out strengths and weaknesses in training, SOPs, and equipment and it's a good habit to get into IMO regardless of what you call it.

Just because everyone survived with no injuries doesn't mean you can't do it better the next time the SHTF.

If I was that cop I'd be looking at the video and seeing if there were things I could improve in.

Oh and Shrapnel, I'm pretty sure Formidilosous has been shot at more than once unless I'm completely wrong about where he is.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dodgefan
One thing we always did right after a mission or exercise was an After Action Review or "Hot Wash". This allowed us to point out strengths and weaknesses in training, SOPs, and equipment and it's a good habit to get into IMO regardless of what you call it.

Just because everyone survived with no injuries doesn't mean you can't do it better the next time the SHTF.

If I was that cop I'd be looking at the video and seeing if there were things I could improve in.

Oh and Shrapnel, I'm pretty sure Formidilosous has been shot at more than once unless I'm completely wrong about where he is.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.c...d3f7f9e-7b33-562c-bcc2-cffce03182dd.html

The world is full of tough guys that know all about these circumstances. My son is a LEO and was one of the first on the scene to this fatal shooting of another officer. He didn’t get to look at a video to see what he could do better...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not saying I could of done better in that particular set of circumstances. My only somewhat relevant experience is infantry based anyhow and we had close air support.

It doesn't mean the officer and his department can't look at the video and try and get better at their job. I'm not trying to denigrate the officer at all as he managed a tough situation and survived, but he would be foolish IMO if he doesn't try to learn from it and get better at his job.

Do you think the department your son works for looked at what happened (in the incident you linked) and tried to learn from it?

I'm fairly certain that department training, SOPs and equipment are driven in part by actual incidents and also possible scenarios that they figure they are likely to encounter. Unfortunately sometimes those lessons learned are purchased with blood.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Muffin, sorry my thick skull missed the humor! That is kinda funny.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When you think you are good enough, you are wrong. Professionals always seek to improve.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How can police be sure theres not a child in the back seat? Seems somewhat reckless to shoot into a car when they dont know what/who else might be in it. Shooting out a tire or into the engine compartment I can see...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Muffin, sorry my thick skull missed the humor! That is kinda funny.

Ron

No problem........... sorry bought the mini-rant!

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
How can police be sure theres not a child in the back seat? Seems somewhat reckless to shoot into a car when they dont know what/who else might be in it. Shooting out a tire or into the engine compartment I can see...

Generally, I think that if the perps are shooting at you, shouldn't you shoot back? Plus, when you're chasing another vehicle at a high rate of speed, the tires and engine block probably aren't an option. Checking to see if there's a kid in the truck??? Maybe the cop should have politely asked them to pull over, I'm sure they would have complied.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Those are tough questions. But shooting at a tire or into the engine compartment in order to stop the car is forbidden in many departments because of liability issues. Lawyers have sued cities for damages cause by car wrecks stating that the officers destroyed the ability of the crooks to control the car, and are therefore liable for the damage caused by wrecks.

I believe that lawsuits have boiled down the act of shooting - using deadly force- as justified to "end the threat". The cop has to consider, often in a split second, whether shooting the crook, and the danger it entails, is worth the risk versus letting the crook escape, and therefore continue to commit violent crimes where victims may be subject to death or great bodily injury.

Consider the backlash at recent shootings where the cop held his fire, or did not engage. Some people get overwhelmed at what to have for dinner, or what present to buy for someone. Others make great decisions under stress. With all these cameras, there is a lot of opinions after the fact, but some opinions are better based on knowledge and experience, and not mere emotion. That being said, having these videos can be a tremendous asset for "hot washes" or after actions reviews. These provide records of actual events which can be learned from, and real viable training can grow out of.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Well you have your say and as wrong as you may be you are entitled to do so. Michael Jordan, Ted Williams or Wayne Gretzky performed at the top of their respective sports, but they trained with controlled circumstances knowing if they goofed up they could do it over.

You really need to get shot at during a high speed chase and you may change your mind about his job description and the practice a cop gets to deal with those circumstances.

Are you being for real? You don’t know me, but I do not work behind a desk. Yesterday morning my coworkers and I actually did use the video for learning purposes. The first thing that was said by anyone was- “well... we’d be put on probation for gun-handling that bad”, and it went down hill from there.

Your belief of “performance” is completely incorrect. Your thoughts are shared by the large portion of the gun carrying “professionals”, yet when actually measured at their tasks the absolute best teams on earth are about as good at their “sport”, as a decent regional junior high basketball team is at theirs.

The world is full of tough guys that know all about these circumstances. My son is a LEO and was one of the first on the scene to this fatal shooting of another officer. He didn’t get to look at a video to see what he could do better...

And that’s why people continue to die. Remove the emotion and evaluate honestly. A LOT of police and military personel (a very good case can be made for most) get killed and wounded, or shoot the wrong people because they are under trained, under skilled, and do not learn from the past. I guarantee you I have never done a single mission of any type without us and others absolutely destroying our performance- no matter how good the outcome. Then we immediately change, correct, and practice the solution to the failures under conditions vastly harder than they were initially noted, so that they never happen again. Doing otherwise is like repeatedly going into the ring of a UFC fight, getting your butt destroyed every time, but never learning from the fights.

Winning fighters and coaches evaluate everything done critically and are hyper focused on removing weaknesses. Losers high five each other “because they played”.

Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Generally, I think that if the perps are shooting at you, shouldn't you shoot back? Plus, when you're chasing another vehicle at a high rate of speed, the tires and engine block probably aren't an option. Checking to see if there's a kid in the truck??? Maybe the cop should have politely asked them to pull over, I'm sure they would have complied.

See, this is my problem with both LE and the military. The general idea that the most important thing is to go home at night. “Surviving” isn’t the most important thing. If it was then why did you sign up to carry a gun in the first place? Winning is the most important thing, and it’s pretty hard to win if you kill the very thing you are supposed to be protecting.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Got a technical question.

There's several versions of this video on the internet but the one in the OP show the first shots fired through the windshield while the perp's vehicle is traveling beside a moving U-Haul truck going in the same direction. It's not parked. It's rolling right next to the perp's vehicle while the officer is shooting. Look at the parked vehicles on the left of the screen to see how its traveling.

Right at the beginning of this clip and then again at about 27 seconds. Five rounds. Then the U-Haul driver stands on the brakes.

I'm guessing that none of those five rounds went winging off to the right and penetrated the U-Haul or the driver otherwise we'd have heard about it.

But you guys who practice shooting through windshields - do your duty rounds reliably go pretty straight that way?

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Got a technical question.

There's several versions of this video on the internet but the one in the OP show the first shots fired through the windshield while the perp's vehicle is traveling beside a moving U-Haul truck going in the same direction. It's not parked. It's rolling right next to the perp's vehicle while the officer is shooting. Look at the parked vehicles on the left of the screen to see how its traveling.

Right at the beginning of this clip and then again at about 27 seconds. Five rounds. Then the U-Haul driver stands on the brakes.

I'm guessing that none of those five rounds went winging off to the right and penetrated the U-Haul or the driver otherwise we'd have heard about it.

But you guys who practice shooting through windshields - do your duty rounds reliably go pretty straight that way?

Generally yes. There is deviation due to angle of the glass, but not by feet at closer ranges with well designed projectiles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I reckon when you start a gunfight with the police, it falls on the suspect if anyone in the vehicle is endangered.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I reckon when you start a gunfight with the police, it falls on the suspect if anyone in the vehicle is endangered.

Very well stated and correct.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No, that's incorrect. Every time I've started a gunfight with police, they've always asked (politely I might add) if there were others in the car, before returning fire.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Actually, when properly trained and vetted the shooter is expected to know the final resting place of each round fired, to include pass throughs. This level actually exists as a standard but is rarely enforced or supported by "management". It takes talent, time and effort to achieve this level and few agencies recognize or can afford it.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Starboy hasn't done anything in his miserable life. Therefore he doesn't KNOW anything. He's just another sockpuppet troll.

Rockape.... you be the simpleton who came to CF desperately seeking advice on how to handle your neighbors dog...

then gave tactical entry advice on school shootings that you said you got from watching hollywoods Saving Private Ryan.

not even funny , just sad.

Yet a police chief has said , that if the officer in question had harmed or killed any innocents, that he very much expected
the city would be paying up BIG for his recklessness.

why don't you just stick to entertaining the CF with your hick brain conspiracy theories like you do?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The officer is responsible for every round going out the windshield. Reckless at best. Would have been deafening in the squad car. And then, empty magazine into stopped vehicle. The officer needs some serious training.[/quote]

Ex police officer, who now puts people back together in surgery. Just my opinion. Who are you?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yep, we were kind of spooning, when we had a three way with your mama. Troll on, it takes the heat off others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

It looked to me like the officer was square to the target (suspect vehicle)
...and his shots are pretty straight on at the suspect vehicle...
.. The officer even took some shots two handed... He had a really solid target the second time.. ...

He had a solid target in his sights yes, and could say was aiming centre mass....but if you know anything about
the angle/degree of upward projectile deflection when firing through angled windshields...(and taking into account the distance of the target)
id say all his rounds went right over the top by a healthy margin.

Its highly evident from the video showing angle of gun and distance to target, that the officer is not skilled or
trained to effectively shoot through squad car windshields.

And from what I understand they don't train their guys to do such.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
In your experience, when you’ve shot at targets through a windshield, how far off target were you?

When you factor in duty ammunition for .40 vs .45 vs 9mm vs .357 Sig, what difference did you see?

I’m just curious if my experiences will mirror yours.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.45 will deflect less than .40 ..and .40 less than 9mm,

then one has to factor in variables like not all vehicles have the same angle windshield.

put simply, smaller cal and more acute angle of glass means more compensation required.

I seriously doubt the officers aim through the glass put any rounds on that perps vehicle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How can he be sure that there is a child in there? When the shooting starts all bets are off anything that happens to a child is on the people who started the gunfight.

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

spencer and starman should less time 69’ing with one another.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
.45 will deflect less than .40 ..and .40 less than 9mm,

then one has to factor in variables like not all vehicles have the same angle windshield.

put simply, smaller cal and more acute angle of glass means more compensation required.

I seriously doubt the officers aim through the glass put any rounds on that perps vehicle.

Is that your experience or are you hypothesizing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you think the officer in question is skilled in shooting through glass and was able to hit the perps vehicle [through learned skills
and not just half assed pot luck], just say so....your experience means you should be able to give an answer now.

give an answer instead of just firing off more and more questions like pigs do.

I trust that when more details are revealed as to what he actually hit with 31 rounds, they will support what I have put forward.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
So.........no actual experience. Gotcha.

Well played with the “pig” comment. It’s really all you have to work with. Go out and shoot through a few windshields (both directions) and then we’ll discuss. I know, that actually involves burning powder............you’ll get over your fears through repetition.

Laffin’.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Starfish continues to enlighten us w/ the wisdom drawn from a wealth of experience. I wish he would share where and with whom he served to gain his insight. Since 9/11 reality has replaced theory and lessons learned are hard won, and where appropriate, contribute to the knowledge base of those who care.

Persec is important and I respect that......SNORK!!!!!

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You behave like a pig , so I shall call you such accordingly.

Originally Posted by NH K9
Laffin’.

there you go, dopey pigs making half assed guesses but considering it 'evidence'.... its a habit of your LE breed i notice.

carry on fool... wink

question after question but you will not answer my question.. typical.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Enlighten me then........actual data. When you shot through windshields, what were your results?

What’s your occupation again? I can’t remember if you’re the alleged lawyer or if that’s the other “Star” handle. That’s an indication of how many [bleep] I actually give.

You are slightly entertaining, though.

Last edited by NH K9; 07/19/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hallf-assed assumptions, and Again more and more police attitude questions from you , but you won't even answer one question of mine..?

do you understand why people consider your type as pigs..?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I understand why people like you do............

What’s you question?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Laffin’.

there you go, dopey pigs making half assed guesses but considering it 'evidence'.... its a habit of your LE breed i notice.

carry on fool... wink

Bingo!!

You have successfully removed yourself from relevancy and can spoon w/ the likes of ' asses he eats' and ' the curdog' and their ilk in the low T world of cop haters.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do like cops , but not dopey arrogant ones even when they are not at work....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Laffin’.

carry on fool... wink

Bingo!!

You have successfully removed yourself from relevancy and can spoon w/ the likes of ' asses he eats' and ' the curdog' and their ilk in the low T world of cop haters.

mike r

Since you see fit for another cheap shot I’ll respond to you. Neither of us have made any negative or derogatory comments. You have no idea what I think or believe. I realize that an old washed up ass wipe like you only has the memories of being a bad ass which not only get bigger as the clock ticks on your last days but it’s also why you can play an old smarmy little [bleep] online. Outside of your angry and always childish and holier than thou remarks you have nothing to offer. All you do is act like an old bitter little man with your constant angry swipes and cheap shots but it’s all you’ve got . You spend far too much time allowing me rent space in your tiny bald head but the since it’s free I guess it’s my privilege. Thanks little guy. 👍

PS....You DO personify the image of a badge heavy pig, NHk9 not so much. There’s good cops and bad cops and it ain’t hard to spot the difference. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Enquiring minds want to know. Here's some rough data.

Deflection by glass

a second

third that was likely peer reviewed

and a video

Last edited by 1minute; 07/19/18.

1Minute
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I do like cops , but not dopey arrogant ones even when they are not at work....

I do like lawyers, but not FAT, LAZY, and MENTALLY SLOVEN ones... even when they are posting at work.....

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some cop haters have their reasons. Others are just dicks. Pretty easy to tell the difference.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i dunnonwhat George's experiemce tells him. but my limited experience (45, 230 gr. gold dots, 357 sig 125 gr. gold dots) i found that the first round usually wnet a bit high but never significantly (shooting through crown vic windshields) and subsequent shots were pretty close to poa. nevwr had a peoblem keeping any round in the a zone out to 15 feet from windshield.

fmjs were different as they were damned unpredicrable.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After four decades of police work , all I can say is you do the best you can with what you have.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

With all do respect...Your post indicates you are not very bright, at least on this subject matter... 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
post removed: cause Ace was quoting/ responding to IVmike not me it seems....sorry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the shooting starts all bets are off anything that happens to a child is on the people who started the gunfight.

So its considered ok for a hoard of LE to empty a pile of mags cowboy style and shoot up any hostages in the process with disregard and impunity?

Is that how they trained you and wrote up LE operational policy , for innocents to be so expendable?

Somehow I cannot imagine LE would take that approach if it was a cops family taken hostage... wink

Why willingly taken on a job that involves such personal risk when self-preservation at any cost is your ultimate priority?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
WOW! +P+

Count on cheating. It is my policy.

The truth Joel. An old state trooper told me once, if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t winning.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the biggest fallacies which is usually expressed by liberal and anti-gun individuals is the belief that LE will protect you from being harmed. I have cops in my family and I have cops and SWAT members as good friends that I hunt and shoot with. Everyone one of them have said their shift goal is to make sure they and their cop brothers/sisters go home each night in one piece.

Within my group of friends, three have been involved in “good shootings”. Two of the three 10X’d the bad guy at the scene and one piece of schit arrived DOA at the hospital after my buddy lit him up with his HK MP5.

Every single one of them is a strong advocate for civilians having a concealed carry license for self protection. Aside from their departments SOP for immediately entering a school or shopping mall where an active shooter is called out. They will almost without question post-up if they are first on scene and wait for a cover car or two to arrive before they will make contact on any call of a person with a gun, robbery in progress, domestic beef, or suspicious person lurking around at night.

If the first car on scene “doesn’t immediately” see a bad guy to engage. They will wait for a cover car. They know these minutes waiting for cover could mean the life of a victim, but it’s not what they are expected to do by their department...”Be Safe Out There” at the end of their roll call means for them to look after themselves and their brothers.

Most of us who are gun friendly people know this is just one reason concealed carry of a legal firearm is necessary. Nobody is responsible or mandated for saving your life, cops included. I know this, all of us know this. We may think or wish that all who wear a badge are gonna be heroic and run “solo” into an unknown call from a victim for help...”Don’t Run To Your Death” is trained into them. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
post removed: cause Ace was quoting/ responding to IVmike not me it seems....sorry.

There's not a more ignorant, scum sucking, POS in the Fire.

Go away and let your betters converse without juvenile interruptions.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
One of the biggest fallacies which is usually expressed by liberal and anti-gun individuals is the belief that LE will protect you from being harmed. I have cops in my family and I have cops and SWAT members as good friends that I hunt and shoot with. Everyone one of them have said their shift goal is to make sure they and their cop brothers/sisters go home each night in one piece.

Within my group of friends, three have been involved in “good shootings”. Two of the three 10X’d the bad guy at the scene and one piece of schit arrived DOA at the hospital after my buddy lit him up with his HK MP5.

Every single one of them is a strong advocate for civilians having a concealed carry license for self protection. Aside from their departments SOP for immediately entering a school or shopping mall where an active shooter is called out. They will almost without question post-up if they are first on scene and wait for a cover car or two to arrive before they will make contact on any call of a person with a gun, robbery in progress, domestic beef, or suspicious person lurking around at night.

If the first car on scene “doesn’t immediately” see a bad guy to engage. They will wait for a cover car. They know these minutes waiting for cover could mean the life of a victim, but it’s not what they are expected to do by their department...”Be Safe Out There” at the end of their roll call means for them to look after themselves and their brothers.

Most of us who are gun friendly people know this is just one reason concealed carry of a legal firearm is necessary. Nobody is responsible or mandated for saving your life, cops included. I know this, all of us know this. We may think or wish that all who wear a badge are gonna be heroic and run “solo” into an unknown call from a victim for help...”Don’t Run To Your Death” is trained into them. 😎

Actually, the goal is to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. You can't help anybody if you need help and resources are devided with each additional problem. It would behoove everyone to remember that, no matter what you do for a living.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Actually, the goal is to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. You can't help anybody if you need help and resources are devided with each additional problem. It would behoove everyone to remember that, no matter what you do for a living.

You may understand that and I understand that but there a lot of civilians that don’t...Many believe the first cruiser on seen should act... Why are they waiting??? What are they waiting for??? Like those words have never been said before...Especially by liberals 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Enquiring minds want to know. Here's some rough data.

Deflection by glass

a second

third that was likely peer reviewed

and a video

I couldn't find a date on this article, but it's clearly an older report based on the type written font and ammunition used (lead 38special and 357mag.). It does however, support what my thoughts were regarding the ballistics of shooting through a windshield. (I can't judge the officer, as I don't know all the details, or the nature of the suspects, etc.) I do know this though, any disturbance to the bullet's flight early in the flight will lead to significantly larger dispersion of the bullet's flight down range. As any good rifle shooter knows, a cross wind near the muzzle is far worse than cross wind at the target. This is the same principle here, mess up the bullets flight as it leaves the barrel and it's probably not going to hit where intended. Compound this variation with shooting from a moving vehicle at a moving vehicle and any hit would be impressive. The other question that comes up is, after going through the windshield, what condition was the projectile in to penetrate another windshield or sheet metal? Looked like he was using 40sw., but couldn't discern the bullet make. Whatever happened, it worked out for the officer and two more bad guys were taken off the street.

Worst part is now all the ammunition testing standards are going to have to be redone. Forget shooting through denim and 18" of gel, going to need to pass through two windshields and an engine block now. Might have to bring back the 10mm.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 07/20/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of course. Complaints stemming from lack of insight come with most professions. I get the same thing with being a fishing guide. "You people kill too many fish. You make way too much money for what you do. Why should you get a tip? People don't tip me for going to work." , Etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would rather be a fishing guide on a river any day over being a cop. Especially today. If I don’t like my fishing customer, the dock is my destination to rid myself of the idiot.
Cops deal with foolery everyday 24/7. I’m amazed that all of my friends have continued in LE with everything they see and deal with. Oh, and don’t forget the inside politics of a big department. Sheesh! 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t the FBI run the carousel of caliber testing from carrying a S&W 10mm, then moved to a 357 Sig, and now the 40 cal? I don’t know for sure...Seems they ran ballistic tests on almost every known material under the sky
I have to believe that the trailing cop was tired of taking direct fire from the SUV and was hoping beyond hope that if he got some hits on the SUV it would possibly encourage the bad guy to just drive instead of shoot. Just a guess.

And, yes. I would have done a mag dump through my windshield if I had closed with 25 yards of the SUV. And, another part of a mag would have been unleashed by me once he came to a stop as I’m walking up to the driver side window while firing. 😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winning fighters and coaches evaluate everything done critically and are hyper focused on removing weaknesses. Losers high five each other “because they played”.

True statement.

I don't care if Mother Theresa's niece was in the car with the shooters. Once you fire on a LEO, you just signed your death warrant, and everyone else's in the vehicle/house etc...

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bowfisher

True statement.

I don't care if Mother Theresa's niece was in the car with the shooters. Once you fire on a LEO, you just signed your death warrant, and everyone else's in the vehicle/house etc...

That's not true, but the potential is definitely something to consider before doing it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would rather be a fishing guide on a river any day over being a cop. Especially today. If I don’t like my fishing customer, the dock is my destination to rid myself of the idiot.
Cops deal with foolery eve hiryday 24/7. I’m amazed that all of my friends have continued in LE with everything they see and deal with. Oh, and don’t forget the inside politics of a big department. Sheesh! 😎

It's seldom the players complaining. It comes from the cheap seats.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Didn’t the FBI run the carousel of caliber testing from carrying a S&W 10mm, then moved to a 357 Sig, and now the 40 cal? I don’t know for sure...Seems they ran ballistic tests on almost every known material under the sky

FBI switched to 9mm about two years ago. They never used the 357sig, though Secret Service, and Air Marshals did (and to my knowledge still do). The latest round of FBI testing included various barriers, but also heavily favored lack-of-recoil and shootability in their selection - their thought, an a logical one it is, is that if you can't hit the target it doesn't matter what caliber you are shooting. - pick a caliber that allows for more hits. FBI testing with glass places the angled glass 18" from the ballistic gel (i.e. the intended target), not 18" form the muzzle and 25 yards from the target. Two very distinct ballistic challenges. The officer did what he felt he had to and it worked, and kudos to that.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Laffin’.

carry on fool... wink

Bingo!!

mike r

Since you see fit for another cheap shot I’ll respond to you. Neither of us have made any negative or derogatory comments. You have no idea what I think or believe. I realize that an old washed up ass wipe like you only has the memories of being a bad ass which not only get bigger as the clock ticks on your last days but it’s also why you can play an old smarmy little [bleep] online. Outside of your angry and always childish and holier than thou remarks you have nothing to offer. All you do is act like an old bitter little man with your constant angry swipes and cheap shots but it’s all you’ve got . You spend far too much time allowing me rent space in your tiny bald head but the since it’s free I guess it’s my privilege. Thanks little guy. 👍

PS....You DO personify the image of a badge heavy pig, NHk9 not so much. There’s good cops and bad cops and it ain’t hard to spot the difference. 😉

You choose to repeatedly advocate for the killing of LE, that is the only time you catch my attention.

You know nothing of consequence and frequently expose that. If my posts offend you or lack value use the ignore button.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

It looked to me like the officer was square to the target (suspect vehicle)
...and his shots are pretty straight on at the suspect vehicle...
.. The officer even took some shots two handed... He had a really solid target the second time.. ...

He had a solid target in his sights yes, and could say was aiming centre mass....but if you know anything about
the angle/degree of upward projectile deflection when firing through angled windshields...(and taking into account the distance of the target)
id say all his rounds went right over the top by a healthy margin.

Its highly evident from the video showing angle of gun and distance to target, that the officer is not skilled or
trained to effectively shoot through squad car windshields.

And from what I understand they don't train their guys to do such.

Once again, you are just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks, and letting others waste time proving you’re wrong. It doesn’t work that way. The police just have to show that they acted reasonably under the time constraints in which they are operating. They are not expected to have an engineering degree and have trained through every theoretical scenario, because we all know (well, maybe not you), and courts recognize, that this would be impossible. Unlike you, the courts recognize that it is not a perfect world, and that dealing with criminals frequently requires contemporaneous improvisation without the benefit of lead time to come up with a perfect plan backed up by scientific research and analysis. Furthermore, your hypotheticals are imponderables if all we have is a video, because the appropriate analysis is based on what the officer in question should have known and what he actually knew, not what you or anyone else on this thread knows or should know. So, get some insight on that and share it before wasting time with hypotheticals.

Without getting in the weeds of discussing shooting through glass, off the top of my head, this situation appears (in my personal opinion only) to check all the boxes supporting the force used in a Graham v. Connor analysis, fits within the rationale of Tennessee v. Garner in support of the use of force on a fleeing felon, and also Plumhoff v. Rickard. Not on point, but demonstrating which way the wind is blowing, are Mullenix v. Luna (which, admittedly, only focused on the “clearly established” principle, not whether it was reasonable), S.F. v. Sheehan (elements of both prongs, coupled with poor briefing), White v Pauly (another “clearly established law” case), County of L.A. v. Mendez (this one should have wide ranging effect on “woulda, coulda, shoulda" analyses where no independent constitutional violation has occurred on the front end), and the latest Ninth Circuit smackdown, Kisela v Hughes (another “clearly established” case with the caveat that the court was not saying that the use of force was not justified). (Of course, there are a million picky points that are not worth discussing on the basis of a few minute video.) (Further, in the absence of a person harmed by the rounds (which could pop up), we really don't even have a controversy with respect to rounds that did not hit the bad guys.) Do you have some binding or trending precedent going the other way that fits this situation? Believe me, I want to see that stuff, and I will read it when time permits.

As I said in my earlier post, I can’t begin to project what a Nevada state court would say about this under applicable state law, or if there is some Ninth Circuit case on point. (I am in the Tenth.) I am just dealing with the Constitutional procedure as discussed by the U.S. Supreme Court. Your numerous posts about recklessness and scientific “perfect world” analyses appear to go in that direction and sound like deflection and scattergun plaintiff lawyer hyperbole. (I am not seeing anyone but spencer516 insinuating as an abstract principle that shooting back at someone who is shooting at you and trying to run you over cannot be justified on general self-defense principles.) Maybe in 5 years we will have some precedent on this one way or the other, and then we all will know. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 07/20/18. Reason: Add sentence to paragraph 2 and fix typo/clarify

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

FBI switched to 9mm about two years ago. They never used the 357sig, though Secret Service, and Air Marshals did (and to my knowledge still do). The latest round of FBI testing included various barriers, but also heavily favored lack-of-recoil and shootability in their selection - their thought, an a logical one it is, is that if you can't hit the target it doesn't matter what caliber you are shooting. - pick a caliber that allows for more hits. FBI testing with glass places the angled glass 18" from the ballistic gel (i.e. the intended target), not 18" form the muzzle and 25 yards from the target. Two very distinct ballistic challenges. The officer did what he felt he had to and it worked, and kudos to that.

Science and reality do merge sometimes after failure is found in the human form. Gotta put hits on targets. Good info that I didn’t know. Thanks...😎

“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Are you being for real? You don’t know me, but I do not work behind a desk. Yesterday morning my coworkers and I actually did use the video for learning purposes. The first thing that was said by anyone was- “well... we’d be put on probation for gun-handling that bad”, and it went down hill from there.

Your belief of “performance” is completely incorrect. Your thoughts are shared by the large portion of the gun carrying “professionals”, yet when actually measured at their tasks the absolute best teams on earth are about as good at their “sport”, as a decent regional junior high basketball team is at theirs.

And that’s why people continue to die. Remove the emotion and evaluate honestly. A LOT of police and military personel (a very good case can be made for most) get killed and wounded, or shoot the wrong people because they are under trained, under skilled, and do not learn from the past. I guarantee you I have never done a single mission of any type without us and others absolutely destroying our performance- no matter how good the outcome. Then we immediately change, correct, and practice the solution to the failures under conditions vastly harder than they were initially noted, so that they never happen again. Doing otherwise is like repeatedly going into the ring of a UFC fight, getting your butt destroyed every time, but never learning from the fights.

Originally Posted by StoneCutter

See, this is my problem with both LE and the military. The general idea that the most important thing is to go home at night. “Surviving” isn’t the most important thing. If it was then why did you sign up to carry a gun in the first place? Winning is the most important thing, and it’s pretty hard to win if you kill the very thing you are supposed to be protecting.

He's old and set in his ways. You know how that goes....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He probably hasn't been doing it long enough to realize that you absolutely cannot fix stupid. Idealism is sometimes hard to overcome.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What you put forward hasn't been the case for years. Bonded core premium bullets deflect a little, but not near as much as you claim. 308 rounds and 223 rounds deflect almost "0" after passing through windshield glass. Handgun rounds deflect a small amount, but not enough to cause a miss on the target if the officer shoots center mass and the bullet actually would've hit where he was aiming, absent the glass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of things:

No question that these were bad guys. Shooting at the cop pretty much establishes that.

The cop COULD have taken the safe route for himself but chose to fight back.

Quit bitching and give the cop a medal.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
What you put forward hasn't been the case for years. Bonded core premium bullets deflect a little, but not near as much as you claim. 308 rounds and 223 rounds deflect almost "0" after passing through windshield glass. Handgun rounds deflect a small amount, but not enough to cause a miss on the target if the officer shoots center mass and the bullet actually would've hit where he was aiming, absent the glass.

Is that when the windscreen glass is at the target end, or the muzzle end? The reason I ask is because I've seen reports of testing that would have it that if the glass is near the target, the bullet will pass through and strike the target, provided the glass isn't too sharply angled. However if the glass is near the muzzle and the target at some distance downrange then the bullet may be so damaged or deflected that it won't strike the target.

For example, in the aftermath of a hostage siege in 2014 our police here did some testing with .308, and firing at 6 mm glass set at an angle with both 165 Trophy Bonded and with 196 gn RUAG Swiss P (AP) at a distance of 49.5 m they found that a target close behind the glass would have been killed. However when a second glass panel (I think this one was 12 mm thick, but I don't have the actual report to hand) was placed a short distance in front of the muzzle the RUAG AP bullet broke up on penetrating the first panel and no fragment hit the second panel 49.5 m downrange.

None of the above should be taken as comment on the actions of the officer in the video.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.