-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A little enlightenment for the old goat here guys. Can I put a conventional 3x-9x scope on an inline ML or do I need to get a scope specifically designed for use with a ML?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should add that the scope I have available right now is one of those Brunton 3x-9x scopes I bought off of Doug at Cameraland.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Can I put a conventional 3x-9x scope on an inline ML or do I need to get a scope specifically designed for use with a ML?

No - your scope should be fine, unless you are trying to match the bullet drops to a reticle - the MZ/shotgun scopes tend tend to have the ballistic drops spaced further apart in the vertical stack.

I've got both types mounted on in-lines, neither has made a "wow" in difference.

Ease/retention of zero has made more of a difference than what is on the reticle.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/11/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SG/ML scopes often have bold reticles and parallax set for shorter ranges. Some have extra aiming points for popular load levels. No big deal, unless you want to turn it into a .270. I've got a Leupold 2-7 VX-1 SG/ML on my Knight. So far so good at up to 100 yards, twice as far as I usually shoot with anything around here. Anything from a 1-4 to a 3-9 should be fine, or even a fixed 2.5, 4, or 6. Irons are good if you've got the eyes.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it sounds like I'll be okay. I haven't shot a deer at over 100 yards in years.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May be state dependent. Here in Oregon scopes are not allowed for muzzleloader designated big game hunts. OK for use during normal rifle seasons though.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A dedicated muzzleloader scope is totally unnecessary. if you want a ballistic reticle, just shoot and mark the yardage. I simply use a 2-7 or 3-9 centerfire scope on all of mine.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
May be state dependent. Here in Oregon scopes are not allowed for muzzleloader designated big game hunts. OK for use during normal rifle seasons though.

A good point-they just legalized scopes for ML's here in Mn. last year. 'Been carrying a CVA Hawkins for decades, but my vision's not as good as it used to be. Time to make the change to an in line.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're still shopping, look at the TC Strike deal from CDNN. I picked one up after being impressed with the ease of use while sighting in my son's last year.

I've got a fancy Knight Ultra Lite, but I'll be carrying the Strike come December. See my post here if you're interested. Only downside is the mount base, which needs replacing for most scopes. I used a scout model.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you're still shopping, look at the TC Strike deal from CDNN. I picked one up after being impressed with the ease of use while sighting in my son's last year.

I've got a fancy Knight Ultra Lite, but I'll be carrying the Strike come December. See my post here if you're interested. Only downside is the mount base, which needs replacing for most scopes. I used a scout model.

x2

I have not shot my Strike yet as I am waiting on a mount that allows my scope to sit back a bit but lime Pappy said above, the factory mount works with a Scout style scope and from pics of us rifle/scope combo I like how the scope does not sit over the controls.

With the scope sitting forward the striker cocking mechanism and the opening latch are not under the scope making manipulation super easy.

I have a Nikon shotgun scope w BDC I will be mounting but am thinking once I save a bit more money I may try a Scout scope and see which I like better.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Pappy348

x2

I have not shot my Strike yet as I am waiting on a mount that allows my scope to sit back a bit but lime Pappy said above, the factory mount works with a Scout style scope and from pics of us rifle/scope combo I like how the scope does not sit over the controls.

With the scope sitting forward the striker cocking mechanism and the opening latch are not under the scope making manipulation super easy.

I have a Nikon shotgun scope w BDC I will be mounting but am thinking once I save a bit more money I may try a Scout scope and see which I like better.

Not that crazy about what you guys are saying about the scope mounting challenges with the TC, and I don't want a scout scope. I'm gonna go with the CVA.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No real challenge, buy a DNZ mount.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just used extension rings on my LHR and didn't have a problem mounting a conventional scope

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go forth, be happy, and slay.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
I just used extension rings on my LHR and didn't have a problem mounting a conventional scope

Which brand of rings did you use?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Weaver

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tmitch; 07/17/18.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.