-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A Ruger Redhawk in 45LC (4.25" barrel) is now mine. I shot it for the first time a couple of days ago and have to admit that the trigger feels like it could use some improvement. I own two customized SRH's (one by Bowen and the other by Huntington) and their trigger pulls are crisp and clean with very little if any creep. I'd like the new Redhawk to have a trigger pull like them if possible.

So, two questions:

1) Given the design differences between the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk, can the Redhawk trigger pull be improved like the SRH can? Or does the design not lend itself to much improvement?
2) If it can be improved, besides Hamilton and Jack, who else can anyone recommend for improving the Redhawk trigger?

Edit to add that single action trigger pull is what I'm most interested in improving.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by John_Havard; 07/14/18.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The answer to question 1) is yes, the Redhawk trigger can be greatly improved. A little judicious stoning to eliminate creep and/or a mainspring change can give you as good a trigger pull as you could want. 2) I can’t help you with, because I do my own trigger work on any Redhawk I own or have owned. Someone will be along to help with number two.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dave Clements has done great work for me in the past on Rugers. Not Redhawks specifically, but Blackhawks and a GP100.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 07/14/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i don't know if i feel comfortable having not doing it before, to stone an action.
what i did do is buy through wolfe a lessor poundage mainspring. haven't had any issues with misfires.
I do know they can be improved. different gun, but still ruger. i have two long barreled 45colt old vaquero's. belonged prior to his death to a guy well known around the area. I THINK he took them to some guy which of course i have forgot his name to work on them in the area.
night and day difference between tem an another old vaquero that is kind of "gummy".

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From an article I wrote in 2006. http://web.archive.org/web/20060823105014/http://www.thesixgunjournal.net:80/redhawk.html

Your local competent gunsmith, however, can make significant improvements in the Redhawk's single-action trigger. I start by cleaning up the sear for minimum movement, with absolute certainty that it will not "push off" from full cock. Don't mess with the angle. This involves considerable assembly-disassembly to get it just right, and it is easy to go too far. Your gunsmith will earn his money on a Redhawk.

Over-travel stop- I use the locking-latch orifice, in the rear of the trigger-guard, as the starting point. I drilled through from the rear and tapped the hole for opposing set-screws; seems like I used 8-32's because drills and taps were handy. The finished product protrudes into the rear of the trigger-guard, limiting the trigger's rearward movement. Since the sear engagement was already sorted out, it was possible to set up my trigger for almost zero over-travel. Fine adjustments here also involved considerable assembly-disassembly of the trigger module. Loctite Red has held it solid through several hundred rounds of .44 loads that you'd only shoot in a Redhawk. Be advised that Ruger's carbon steel is much easier to drill/tap than their stainless steel- and I would not have attempted this work on a stainless gun. The eventual result was a safe, reliable 3-3.5 pound trigger that is eminently more shootable than the factory offering- either offhand or from a rest. I just wish Mr. Keith were still with us and shooting today, because I would sure like for him to bust a few rounds with a tuned Redhawk. I think he'd notice the difference, and be pleased with the results.

It is worth mentioning that the example gun, which was made in '79, is still tight as a drum, with no end-shake, etc. In fact it is the tightest-fitted Ruger DA I have ever run across, and this may have something to do with the success of the trigger work. If the hammer pin and its corresponding hole in the hammer aren't a tight fit, you'll run yourself nuts trying to get a crisp trigger that won't push off.

I can find no fault with the factory double-action trigger of the Redhawk. They smooth considerably with use. The pull itself is light enough, and the cylinder locks "early" in the DA stroke, allowing the shooter a final opportunity to correct the sight alignment, prior to the shot. Dedicated PPC shooters used to spend big money getting their S&W's tuned to offer just this characteristic- and the Redhawk gives to you for free!

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SargeMo, if I understand the gist of your article the single action benefits most from the work you describe. What about installing an over-travel stop if my only concern is with double action trigger feel? To my non-expert feel the DA trigger pull isn't nearly as crisp as it should be (or not nearly as crisp as other revolvers I own). Or does the work you describe for helping SA trigger pulls solve the mushy DA trigger pull also?

Thanks for the help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend who had Magnaport work over two Redhawk 44's and the trigger action is outstanding. I don't know if MNP is as good as they were back then as it's been 20 years, but I'd at least contact them.

To those that say Ruger revolver actions can never be as smooth as an S&W, they've never tried one worked on my by a smith who knows what he's doing.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks 458 Lott. I just can't believe that the Redhawk can't be improved. I'll keep looking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Havard
SargeMo, if I understand the gist of your article the single action benefits most from the work you describe. What about installing an over-travel stop if my only concern is with double action trigger feel? To my non-expert feel the DA trigger pull isn't nearly as crisp as it should be (or not nearly as crisp as other revolvers I own). Or does the work you describe for helping SA trigger pulls solve the mushy DA trigger pull also?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry John, just caught this. The over travel stop and sear work was to give the Redhawk a single action trigger that would rival a stock Model 29, and in that it succeeded. The internal double action contact surfaces can be polished for a marginally smoother pull; but in my experience, no double action revolver mechanism is 'crisp' in the DA mode. It is more of a 'roll' than anything else.

I get along with the stock Redhawk trigger real well and I am the oddball who actually like the stock wood grips. At least until you hit 300 grains/1300 fps.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sarge,
You’re not the only oddball who likes the standard factory wood grips. All of mine, 4.2” to 7.5” all wear factory wood. But I no longer shoot any of the heavyweight bullets. I’ve discovered in my later years that there ain’t much that can’t be done with a 250 gr. cast SWC.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.