Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You've already decided, so best of luck with your new gun.
Had a 28 but sold it. Didn't get what all the fuss and admiration of the 28 was about. I wanted to like the 28 but just couldn't. Had a nice O/U with beautiful wood, it was hard to let go. In reality I think it's mostly an excuse to buy another gun, which is fine by me, no excuses needed.
Expensive ammo, recoil about the same as my 20 gauge with somewhat less effectiveness and range compared to the 20. Weight of gun about the same, as stated many are 20 gauge frames. I'll concede the 28 is "a cute little gun" and saying you killed game or clays with a 28 may give a certain sense of shooting pride and skill, but for me I stuck with my 20 for my "little" gun.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One doesn't normally buy a 20 that is on a 12 frame. You can get them, but they are usually sub-gauge sets. No need to buy a 28 on a 20 frame if you don't want to. It has nothing to do with pride or skill. It does have a lot to do with having a good gun for the work it is doing, and a 28 balanced and of the right weight comes close to perfect for a Ruffed Grouse shotgun. In addition I've taken Pheasants cleanly out to around 35 yards with the Ithaca 37 pictured which is a 28 on a 28 frame. If one appreciates quick handling, than a balanced 28 on a 28 frame is not a bad place to be. The price of shells are mostly inconsequential when it comes to hunting, be it either rifles or shotguns.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I wanted a Weatherby SA=08 but they quit making them.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In a well fitted gun, the 28 is a death ray on quail and a joy to carry. The only downside is that for those that don't reload, the shells are rather pricey if you shoot a lot.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
You've already decided, so best of luck with your new gun.
Had a 28 but sold it. Didn't get what all the fuss and admiration of the 28 was about. I wanted to like the 28 but just couldn't. Had a nice O/U with beautiful wood, it was hard to let go. In reality I think it's mostly an excuse to buy another gun, which is fine by me, no excuses needed.
Expensive ammo, recoil about the same as my 20 gauge with somewhat less effectiveness and range compared to the 20. Weight of gun about the same, as stated many are 20 gauge frames. I'll concede the 28 is "a cute little gun" and saying you killed game or clays with a 28 may give a certain sense of shooting pride and skill, but for me I stuck with my 20 for my "little" gun.

Copy that. I have a couple 12’s, couple 16’s, and a 20. I’ve had several 410’s over the years and just could never warm up to em, too many ruffed grouse flying off after being hit.... I think a 28 would be a dandy within its limitations....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have two. Both baby frames, a SP3 and a Verona. A joy to carry and shoot. Keep shots at a reasonable distance and reload your own.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
battue has the right slant on ammo. Ammo price for hunting will not make or break most. Clay target games is another matter.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Looks like the cz 628 gets pretty good reviews, lightest out of the 37 and bps, hellava pot cheaper. Anybody ever run one?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I wanted a Weatherby SA=08 but they quit making them.

Get a Tristar Viper G2 instead. They are literally the same identical gun in 28 gauge. Get the "Bronze" version.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 28 gauge CZ SXS. It's an absolute joy to carry, not at all punishing to shoot., and is built on a 28ga frame. It fits me well enough for pheasant hunting, but it doesn't work well for clay birds (too light to swing smoothly?) The 1 oz. Winchester loads seem every bit as effective as similar loads in my 20 gauge shotguns.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I also have that itch for a 28. The problem is that I am bumping 81 and the 28 that I really covet is a discontinued trim level SP IV to match my 12. The only difference between the IV and the still in production V is a blue receiver on the IV and a case colored receiver on the V.

I have 20s in a Benelli and a Browning Superposed. I am going into this dove season with reduced loads (to 28 levels) from the twenties. I may even try some 26 gram (.85 oz) 12 ga loads. I may use my 42 Winchester .410 opening day. It is a fun gun, but the dove wise up quickly and go higher There doesn't seem to be much sense in buying a 3-4 K shotgun at my age.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used an older 1100 SC 28 with a 25" barrel last years late season on doves over decoys. At a little under 7Lbs it's not considered light for a 28 but it handled a lot faster than my 8lb 12

The only place I had to set up the decoys resulted in me being just inside a tree line with the decoys about 25 yards out front in the field. There were a lot of quick shots with doves coming from the sides down the tree line or behind from over the trees. A lot of these birds had been shot at before so not many were coming at you from the front. They were on you and gone. IMO the lighter gun made a difference and as most shots were 25/30 yards the 28 was a killer. Almost all birds hit were drt.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/22/18.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Decided on the 870 express, nothing fancy just a good reliable workhorse...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An 1100 would make sense for me. Weight is no longer a big deal. I shoot dove mostly as 43Shooter described, or over water. I can't walk very far, so quail hunting following the dogs is a thing of past pleasant memories. My limited quail hunting is what I call mechanized plantation style hunting. Kawasaki mule to find birds, then step off to shoot. Short walks. All this discussion supports using the twenties with lighter loads.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had one of these for a while.............. nice little gun...... very light......

Worked well for quail.............

https://www.guns.com/reviews/franchi-48-al/

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i love the 28. but dont own one. practicality has me with a 6 pound 20 as my grpuse/quail gun

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have three 28's and a 28 ga. MEC Jr reloader.

They're effective, way ahead of a .410, closer to a 20 ga.

Merkel, 1100 and new Ohio Ithaca.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
gitem, my state of mind, exactly. I have a Browning Superposed 20 and a Benelli Montefeltro 20. I have tested both for function with loads as light as the low noise, low recoil loads at 980 fps. They work. All other 7/8 oz should work well.

Dirtfarmer, I have followed your posts long enough to trust your judgement. How about a brief evaluation of the Ohio 37-28 ga. A sub 7# 12 ga 37 was my first real shotgun. I traded it off after it started dumping live shells from the magazine and the local talent could not fix it. Should have sent it back to the factory. Until it malfunctioned I was well pleased, especially at the $1 price - two 50c raffle tickets, about all a pay as you go college kid could afford.

Thanks,

Jack

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jt402
gitem, my state of mind, exactly. I have a Browning Superposed 20 and a Benelli Montefeltro 20. I have tested both for function with loads as light as the low noise, low recoil loads at 980 fps. They work. All other 7/8 oz should work well.

Dirtfarmer, I have followed your posts long enough to trust your judgement. How about a brief evaluation of the Ohio 37-28 ga. A sub 7# 12 ga 37 was my first real shotgun. I traded it off after it started dumping live shells from the magazine and the local talent could not fix it. Should have sent it back to the factory. Until it malfunctioned I was well pleased, especially at the $1 price - two 50c raffle tickets, about all a pay as you go college kid could afford.

Thanks,

Jack

I have a first year production 20 ga. M-37R, solid rib with Poly Choke. It's a bit slicker than the new gun. 70 years or so will do that.

The new Ohio gun is very well made, at least as well crafted as the Ithaca, NY guns, better than the King Ferry guns, IMO. They use state of the art CNC machines, outsource the wood, IIRC.

I'm not crazy about the shape of the new stock, but it does handle well. Note the difference in stock shape, old vs. new.

Dumping shells is not an uncommon 37 problem; tweaking or replacing parts will fix it.

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/24/18.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice shootin irons dirt!!....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 1minute, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.