Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satx78247

One wonders WHY the coyotes don't thin out the deer in our metropolitan San Antonio neighborhoods/parks.

Urban coyotes are too spoiled to hunt deer.

There's way too much garbage, cats, and small dogs for them to eat with much less effort.

Path of least resistance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

That's an ugly scene, thought they could only take down fawns and the weak/old....buck looks big and healthy.

Yep, a myth typically propagated by anit-hunters and regurgitated by the ignorant who are often as not, hunters themselves.

I'm a hardcore hunter, but we don't have yotes here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by satx78247

One wonders WHY the coyotes don't thin out the deer in our metropolitan San Antonio neighborhoods/parks.

Urban coyotes are too spoiled to hunt deer.

There's way too much garbage, cats, and small dogs for them to eat with much less effort.

Path of least resistance.

^^^This^^^

They much prefer house cats and small fluffy little dogs.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would also consider poisoned bait.

A suppressed AR is a possibility, but If you try to shoot them you'll get one but the others will scatter at the first shot, so poisoned bait might be the best option to try to get them all.

If the products are available to a homeowner, a local feed store would be a resource to talk to... that or contact wildlife regulators to find out what will work, but it sounds like you are in a good situation to minimize the chances of harming any off-target species.

Keep in mind that they could be gone tomorrow and the opportunity will be lost...maybe a few meatballs would keep them around longer.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Coyotes aren’t cruel. That’s just Nature being Nature. I got nothing against coyotes for just being coyotes.

That doesn’t stop me from killing every damn one I see. It’s not personal, Sonny. It’s strictly business.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boogaloo

A suppressed AR is a possibility, but If you try to shoot them you'll get one but the others will scatter at the first shot, so poisoned bait might be the best option to try to get them all.

If the products are available to a homeowner, a local feed store would be a resource to talk to... that or contact wildlife regulators to find out what will work, but it sounds like you are in a good situation to minimize the chances of harming any off-target species.

Keep in mind that they could be gone tomorrow and the opportunity will be lost...maybe a few meatballs would keep them around longer.

HIGHLY illegal.

The only "poison bait" that is legal for use is an M-44 device loaded with cyanide powder, once you are certified to possess and deploy the devices according to regulations.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sure, I wouldn't want my post interpreted to suggest anything illegal, that's why I suggested to check with local wildlife regulators first to see what the legal options are in that locale.

I do recall reading articles discussing the use of various toxicants, and the approved use of the M-44 specifically, but yes, first contact local wildlife regulators to verify what the legal options are in your area.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boogaloo

Poison? That would take all the fun out of it. Have gun, will travel. grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shoot 'em with something light like a 416 Weatherby.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by djs
Bang, bang, bang, bang - there's a solution.

Yep or

Originally Posted by muffin
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
trap, wait for mama, neutralize, release.

This

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by WVGuy
Jim, you were cute when you were a pup as well.

There are always exceptions.

Cutest kid you ever did see.

The old women look on with sorrow when they remember. You were such a cute little boy............sigh.

The beautiful young duckling grew up to be the ugly-est damn swan.

Swan! That’s the image of the day! 😁

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
I told my wife last week someone must have killed off the local coyote population here - we are overrun with rabbits, like 3 for every square block. Normally this time of year they are eradicated by predators.

I think the Coyotes wiped out the feral cats, and then the game department wiped out the coyotes so the rabbits are thriving this year.

Caine Distemper?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coyotes take down a buck Image Gallary - Coyotes take down a buck.

Kind of laughable that anti-hunters think a hunter shooting a deer is cruel ... I'm sure the buck much prefers the terror of being surrounded, flanked and then being eaten before he's had a chance to expire.
A few pics here. See the gallery for all 11.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The older I get, the more I hate seeing images like that. Predation (and suffering) is not kind.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's funny how the same guys you hear talking about how stupid anti hunters are for thinking nature is like a Disney movie, yada, yada, are the same ones that find it disturbing with the methods coyotes employ to make a kill. I don't give a fug about coyotes ripping deer apart, that's what they were designed to do. Should they be carrying an aught-six slung across their backs?

The other one I have a hard time with is how they are wiping out the deer herds. I call bullshit on that one too. Yote's and deer have been coexisting for hundreds of thousands of years but now all of sudden the coyotes are going to drive them to extinction?

Lest someone misconstrue my meaning, I don't have a problem with killing coyotes. Shoot em to your hearts content. But they aren't evil and IMO they deserve our respect just like any other animal does. Matter of fact I respect them more than I do deer because they are predators and damn good ones at that so I feel a kinship with them I don't feel for prey animals.

But that's just me. It's ok to disagree. Feel free to rejoice in your blind hatred of one of natures finest designs. . . laugh

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/18/18.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by reivertom
They aren't so cute when they're ripping the guts out of a fawn and letting it die slowly.

It is what they were born to do.

Why the angst?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And deer were born to be prey. Ugly the way it works out but I think there's more than a little anthropomorphism in that. Certainly for the anti-hunters and assorted tree huggers.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Since I insist on being the alpha predator, around my house, I would shoot them! But that's just my way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coyotes can only act out of instinct, people need not and are capable of weighing the equities. Not saying don't shoot them, here in farm country they are competitors, just know why.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
It's funny how the same guys you hear talking about how stupid anti hunters are for thinking nature is like a Disney movie, yada, yada, are the same ones that find it disturbing with the methods coyotes employ to make a kill. I don't give a fug about coyotes ripping deer apart, that's what they were designed to do. Should they be carrying an aught-six slung across their backs?

The other one I have a hard time with is how they are wiping out the deer herds. I call bullshit on that one too. Yote's and deer have been coexisting for hundreds of thousands of years but now all of sudden the coyotes are going to drive them to extinction?

Lest someone misconstrue my meaning, I don't have a problem with killing coyotes. Shoot em to your hearts content. But they aren't evil and IMO they deserve our respect just like any other animal does. Matter of fact I respect them more than I do deer because they are predators and damn good ones at that so I feel a kinship with them I don't feel for prey animals.

But that's just me. It's ok to disagree. Feel free to rejoice in your blind hatred of one of natures finest designs. . . laugh

Drive up the mountain past Cloudcroft headed east.

When you get to Mayhill turn right and go up to Miller's Flats. Keep going to Weed, and then circle around through Sacramento, Timberon, and back to Cloudcroft from there.

Let us know how many deer you see on that circle.

Don't give me that BS about coyotes and deer living in harmony. It's about numbers. When coyote numbers get high, deer numbers get low. The area up there, they have been dangerously low. Anyone that has been in YOUR area for a long enough period of time have seen deer populations dwindle to the dangerously low levels. Why do you think NMGF went to a draw?

It's a matter of whether you want lots of deer or lots of predators. Since you say you prefer the predators, then fine. That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. But with what you typed above with the coexisting, it makes you sound more like an anti-hunter than anyone else in this thread. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Drive up the mountain past Cloudcroft headed east.

When you get to Mayhill turn right and go up to Miller's Flats. Keep going to Weed, and then circle around through Sacramento, Timberon, and back to Cloudcroft from there.

Let us know how many deer you see on that circle.

Don't give me that BS about coyotes and deer living in harmony. It's about numbers. When coyote numbers get high, deer numbers get low. The area up there, they have been dangerously low. Anyone that has been in YOUR area for a long enough period of time have seen deer populations dwindle to the dangerously low levels. Why do you think NMGF went to a draw?

It's a matter of whether you want lots of deer or lots of predators. Since you say you prefer the predators, then fine. That's your opinion, and you are welcome to it. But with what you typed above with the coexisting, it makes you sound more like an anti-hunter than anyone else in this thread. wink

Gotta love this site. It's hilarious. Type anything that can be misconstrued even a bit against the tide and immediately get labeled one of the "other side". C'mon man, you're better than that.

Since you took what I said out of context, let me make it clear once again: respect coyotes for the predators they are. Doesn't mean you have to hate them. They are wonders of nature. Excellent predators, their design honed by thousands of years of success. There is a lot to admire there. Think about it, then shoot as many as you can. That's what I do. I didn't spend 500 dollars on a caller for nothing.

Yes coyotes and deer evolved together. The numbers and balance are off because of man's interference in the eco system so we now have to be the great equalizer and as the alpha predator it is now our responsibility, but it wasn't always that way. They did evolve together and didn't mutually self destruct when everything was in balance.

Things are different now, So yes, we should kill as many as we can but there is still no reason to hate them because they do what they were designed to do. They are just animals acting out of instinct with no malice intended. We humans on the other hand, for all our intellect, can and do act out of malice quite often.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/19/18.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,505 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.