Print Thread
Hop To
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I have full-length sized 50 cases of 300 Winchester Magnum brass. The brass were all once-fired but in two different rifles (some of them may have had different powder charge too). After resizing, I am noticing that the case length (to shoulder datum, measured using Redding Dial-Indicator tool) is not the same for the resized brass. Some are sized to "standard chamber - 0.005 inch". Some other are sized to approximately "standard chamber - 0.002 inch". I wonder what causes this variation:

a) normal tolerance of the reloading press
b) that the brass were fired in two different rifles (but the sizing operation should have eliminated any original difference in length (?))
c) any other factor such as me pressing the handle not with the same force all the time, lubrication issue, etc.

?

I appreciate your feedback and experiences.

Thank you,
-Omid

Last edited by Omid; 07/14/18.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Think about it for a moment. 0.003 of an inch variation is almost nothing. It's quite literally less than the average thickness of a human hair.

You also fired it in two different rifles.

And yes, any variance in methodology could be sufficient for this small variance.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first guess is the different rifles. Did you keep the cases from the different rifles separate? Lower pressure charges can also cause a difference that would be most noticeable in long chambers. If you were reasonably consistent in you resizing then slight differences in lube or handle pressure is the least likely cause.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If the brass starts out with different sizes before resizing this can also be a culprit. When shooting different powder loads you will have different expansion of the brass especially when new. Brass springs back. So cases that start larger stay larger than cases that start smaller because it is trying to spring back to it's original size. At least this has been my experience.

I have the redding competition die set. I know what my maximum case expansion is. But I might use 3 different shell holders to get all my brass back to the same size. Well at least within .001.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thank you for your comments guys! Very helpful, so this is not a problem and could have been due to the "original" size of the fired brass being slightly different.

I should mention that I have found it hard to distinguish between brass fired once in my three 300 WM rifles. All seem to have nearly the same size which is Minimum chamber + 0.000 to Minmum Chaber + 0.002 inch (again measured using Redding tool).

I have been thinking buying the Redding competition dies set (the bushing model) but I have so far resisted the temptation wink Would that improve my accuracy by any discernible measure? I make loads for hunting and general shooting at the range, not for competition.

Thanks again smile

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I load for four 7 Rem mags. I don’t have time or patience to keep the brass separate. I full length size the cases. All four are sub inch with one of the Sakos almost a one hole rifle. As long as I’m an inch or less I’m fine for hunting. I load all the same length.

Last edited by hanco; 07/14/18.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If necks aren't lubed sufficiently,you can pull the shoulder coming over the expander. Just a thought.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
When brass is work hardened at different rates (2 rifles) the springback will not be consistent when bumping shoulders.

If you were to anneal it would greatly improve the consistency when sizing.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I load for four 7 Rem mags. I don’t have time or patience to keep the brass separate. I full length size the cases. All four are sub inch with one of the Sakos almost a one hole rifle. As long as I’m an inch or less I’m fine for hunting. I load all the same length.

I'm glad you are getting the results you are. I reload for multiple .30-'06, 8x57, .300 Savage, .32 Winchester Special, and .30-30. I used to mix brass between the rifles but have had better results since I stopped.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks again for your helpful comments. I have marked the sized brass in two groups so I can test if this slight difference in case length will make any difference. I am expecting that it should make no noticeable difference in accuracy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
When brass is work hardened at different rates (2 rifles) the springback will not be consistent when bumping shoulders.

If you were to anneal it would greatly improve the consistency when sizing.

This^^^^^^^

It also gives you higher variance in neck tension as well.

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The size difference is moot due to the belt. For hunting loads tuning neck tension has usually not helped accuracy that much for me it does for others. Concentricity is number one and for hunting loads I go to the Lee Collet dies before bushing dies as they are inexpensive and simple and they work.

But the competition dies if set up well do produce concentric loads. The bullet seater can be a source of alignment woes and the types that support the bullet like the competition seaters usually hold run out to a minimum. But anymore I just don't worry about that last quarter to eighth inch of accuracy. I have become the load and go type.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Otter6
If necks aren't lubed sufficiently,you can pull the shoulder coming over the expander. Just a thought.

This would be my first guess. Try taking the expander ball out of the die and resizing some of the mismatched cases then see if the shoulder datums are the same. I'll bet they're a lot closer than they are now.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
This would be my first guess. Try taking the expander ball out of the die and resizing some of the mismatched cases then see if the shoulder datums are the same. I'll bet they're a lot closer than they are now.

hmmm.. does this imply that one could use a precise neck-sizing die and then run the cases in a "body-die" to get consistent FL-sized brass?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 30 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.