Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bcranch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just got back from a great safari in Namibia with John Wamback from Prohunting Namiba. Great time with my kids and a friend that went along. We flew Ethiopian Air from Dulles to Addis Ababa to Windhoek. The flight was running late and we had a short connection in Addis. All of our luggage except my rifles (and new binos, and range finder) made it on the flight. My rifles arrived 7 days later, on the last day of our safari. Thanks to John and a friend of his we were able to borrow a couple of rifles and keep it from being a photo safari. Ethiopian Air kept telling us that they didn't know where the case was, then they did but they couldn't ship it without me there, then they didn't know where it was again. On and on for a week. When the case arrived it never even left the airport in Windhoek, I just took a proof of life picture and checked it back in. Going back through Addis they called me out of line and had me come down and re-open the case to verify the contents, even though it had been checked through in Windhoek. There was lost luggage everywhere in the basement of the airport. They told me that it is airport policy to reverify all firearms transiting through Addis. Just be advised that if you have a connection there you will have to re check your weapons. If you have a short, or even not that short lay over it will be hard to get done. Getting linked back up with them can be challenging if they don't make your flight. I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to see them again. I won't be going through there again.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That certainly was an unusual connection into Windhoek and I'm sure a place like Addis do not have services like Air 2000, etc to safeguard your firearms. Good to know, thanks

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually Jorge, I was looking at flights to Windhoek Saturday and they were showing lots of flights thru Addis.
Thanks for the info.
It looks like SA air from NYC for me, so far.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lufthansa not an option?

If you are in the Idaho panhandle, you could drive to Calgary, fly Lufthansa to Franfurt to Windhoek. Crossing the 49th shouldn't be too onerous if you have the paperwork filled out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll look at it.
Thanks.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just one more reason to simplify safaris and use camp rifles. A lot easier and cheaper too.

Last edited by jdollar; 07/16/18.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There are actually more ways to get from the U.S. to Windhoek these days than ever before. SAA (JFK or Dulles)/Delta (Atlanta) are options but you have to route through Johannesburg, South Africa at some point. That is a major deterrent to me but they are still viable choices. SAA does stop in west Africa for "de-contamination" and both of these airlines arrive in Jo-Burg at odd times which usually means overnighting in RSA. I would look at Eurowings and Condor instead. These are both low-cost airlines that are based in Germany and they have standard airline policies regarding firearms and ammunition. Eurowings flies direct from several U.S. cities to Cologne-Bonn and then direct from there to Windhoek. Being in Idaho, your best bets would be departing from Seattle or Las Vegas. Condor also flies from those two cities to Frankfurt and then direct on to Windhoek. I hunted Namibia in 2016 and flew Lufthansa direct from Denver to Frankfurt. I booked on Condor for the return Germany-Namibia leg and had a very pleasant experience with them. Two years ago, they used modern Boeing 767's for these flights and it was smooth and uneventful. I did not travel with firearms so did not have to deal with that process. The Germans do have some annoying fees/permits in place for traveling with rifles, even if you are just passing through. Eurowings and Condor both arrive early in the morning so you should have plenty of time to get to your destination.

Air Namibia also operates from Frankfurt but I would avoid them, if possible. They have higher fares and are too unreliable in terms of service, cancelled flights, etc. They do fly this route daily though so that might play a role for you. KLM flies to Windhoek through Amsterdam but the Dutch also require transit permits/fees if you are traveling with guns. I believe they also stop in Angola which I do not find appealing for lots of reasons.

Hope this helps.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I flew to Joberg non-stop from JFK, no decontamination stop. We arrived in Joberg at 8:30 AM and overnighted, I couldn't sleep, I should have listened to the outfitter and got picked up on the day of arrival and head to camp.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jdollar
Just one more reason to simplify safaris and use camp rifles. A lot easier and cheaper too.

Never happen with me. The day I can't bring my own weapons, I'll quit hunting. As to travel to Namibia, I'd look at Lufthansa through Frankfurt-Widnhoek.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Same here Jorge. My rifles and my handloads every time. We recently hit Namibia and traveled through Schiphol with zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

B
bcranch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Concur. Reports were that the Eurowings and Lufthansa flights were having good success. There were two groups there at the airport when we arrived with a different outfitter whose rifles didn’t make it from their connection in J-burg, theirs all made it the next day. The group arriving after us had the same problem. Both with Air Namibia

I had my 35 Whalen and 7 Mag. We ended up borrowing a 300 RCM and 25-06. The 300 was great, the 25-06 was light but, surprise surprise, worked fine with good shot placement.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Re: Windhoek, I flew Delta business class to Joberg in 2012, overnighted at the City Lodge and then flew SAA to Windhoek the next morning. Ditto for the return. No issues.

In 2009, we did a Rhino hunt on the East Cape (Tam Safaris). Flew Lufthansa First Class to Joberg. We arrived, but our luggage didn't. Had to buy some basics in Port Elizabeth. Luggage arrived three (3) days later and was delivered to camp. It didn't leave Frankfurt when we did. Flew back on Swiss Air, also First Class. This was the only (out of many) trips to Africa where the luggage didn't arrive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no fee for the Netherlands firearms permit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AB2506
There is no fee for the Netherlands firearms permit.

I would highly advise against travel through Amsterdam with firearms. Have heard nothing but horror stories. Just had my Canadian Rep fly through Addis Ababa, and he said it was quite pleasant. Have to state that he flew with no firearms though. Transit was very short, and all of his luggage arrived OK.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
B
bcranch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I will say that everything about the transit at Addis, both ways, was pleasant, except for the firearms. The people were friendly and helpful, airport was clean and professional. We got all of our luggage on the trip to Windhoek with a very short connection. Except the firearms.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcranch
I will say that everything about the transit at Addis, both ways, was pleasant, except for the firearms. The people were friendly and helpful, airport was clean and professional. We got all of our luggage on the trip to Windhoek with a very short connection. Except the firearms.

Thank you for your input. Always good to know and learn from people with past experience and that have walked the walk.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We've flown multiple times through Amsterdam on KLM going to and from Tanzania and Namibia with firearms and haven't ever had any problems.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by McCray
We've flown multiple times through Amsterdam on KLM going to and from Tanzania and Namibia with firearms and haven't ever had any problems.

Only once for me, but no issues. Wonderful airline, great service.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just read the largest SCI newsletter. Boddington and Jason Hornady flew through Addis Abba on Ethiopian Air on way to the Congo. Hornady's bags did not make it. He had to shop in Brazzaville. No firearms were in transit as it is extremely hard to bring firearms into the Congo?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm booked through Addis Ababa on Ethiopian Airlines next April. I was warned that they had the gun verification step and have a 4 hour hour layover so hopefully everything will work out. I'm left handed so camp rifles aren't a good option.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.