Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
last fall my son probably shot the biggest 6x6 typical bull elk shot with a bow and arrow in Montana , this 6x6 bull elk went 100 yards and fell over dead . So when its mention how much better a 6.5 creedmoor is better than any other cartridge hunter`s use > no it `s really not, but Creedmoor will work fine too,the one thing Creedmoor might be better for is recoil shy guys who can`t handle a bigger rifle cartridge and maybe when I am 85 years old I will have to use a Creedmoor too ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's pretty good for guys who aren't compensating either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Teeder,

It doesn't matter if somebody buys a 6.5 Creedmoor and only shots to 200 yards (or whatever). The bullets still have plenty of power for big game at close range. That's part of what I was pointing out when somebody suggested a 7mm of about the same power would somehow be more effective with 140-grain bullets.

This has been proven over and over again by 6.5 cartridges since the 6.5x55 appeared in 1892.

I thought you were pointing out the BC advantage of the 6.5, which doesn't mean dick IMO. at the less than 200 yards the OP said he wanted to stay under. My mistake.

Honest question for you, have you done any penetration testing with the new high BC bullets when hitting at simulated close range (close to muzzle velocity)?

BTW, I'm not dissing the 6.5's. If I didn't already have a lifetime supply of 7mm bullets, I'd probably get one too. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I like the 120 grain Hornady GMX. The Superformance factory load chronographs a little over 3000fps from my 22 inch barreled Kimber. Haven't killed any moose or bears,but lots of deer and plenty of big hogs with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 260 Remington.

I think the big hogs are a good test medium that gives you some solid information . I wouldn't hesitate to use the 6.5 with a good monolithic bullet on Alaskan critters if I were you.

I've had great groups with Hornady Factory 143 ELD-X's and handloads as well. However, Horn. Factory 120gr. GMX's are ok at 100 but open up drastically to 5-6 inches at 200yds - this is with a 1-8 twist.
I assume for now the mono doesn't like the twist.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pete53
last fall my son probably shot the biggest 6x6 typical bull elk shot with a bow and arrow in Montana , this 6x6 bull elk went 100 yards and fell over dead . So when its mention how much better a 6.5 creedmoor is better than any other cartridge hunter`s use > no it `s really not, but Creedmoor will work fine too,the one thing Creedmoor might be better for is recoil shy guys who can`t handle a bigger rifle cartridge and maybe when I am 85 years old I will have to use a Creedmoor too ?

Congratulations to your son.

Arrows = apples

Bullets = oranges

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For your application, I’d start with the 140 Accubond. My dad now uses that bullet out of a Creed for just about everything, including some big hogs. If that doesn’t shoot well for you, I’d try the 120 E-tip, GMX, or the 127 LRX. Whichever shoots best in your gun should serve you well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53

Pics of this new Montana state record? Or are you just going to keep repeating this without anything to back it up? Saying it's a huge Elk is fine, but you keep saying it's the biggest ever shot in Montana with a bow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Honest question for you, have you done any penetration testing with the new high BC bullets when hitting at simulated close range (close to muzzle velocity)?"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, and they perform like you'd expect them to. The 127 Barnes LRX penetrates like a TTSX, the 142 Nosler AccuBond Long Range penetrates like an AccuBond, and the 143 Hornady ELD-X penetrates like an Interlock.

That said, I suspect part of the reason for the ABLR and ELD-X performance is the moderate muzzle velocity. When driven faster by larger cartridges the ABLR tends to lose more weight than the standard AccuBond, and the ELD-X tends to over-expand.

But one of the virtues of the 6.5 Creedmoor (and 6.5x55 and .260 Remington) is the moderate muzzle velocity, which allows a lot of bullets to work well. Same deal with the 7x57, .308 and a bunch of other cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 708man
True, and I get that the 6.5 has an awesome SD. The best I can get out of my CM with 143 ELD's is around 2700 through a 26" barrel. My 24" 7-08 pushes a 140 partition or Accubond around 2950 with a little more diameter. More speed + larger frontal area = bigger smack. Just different schools of thought and this is a tried and true combination for me. If the 6.5 is the largest round that a person (of any age or gender) can shoot accurately then it is absolutely the best choice for whatever game they choose and the Barnes are outstanding bullets.

Like I said, I'm new to the 6.5 world and have limited real world exposure on game. For now I'll stick to deer sized game, especially after my outfitters reaction. The hunter with the 6.5CM did get his elk, but apparently there was about a 1/2 mile tracking job. I'm sure shot placement had a large part in it, but this is my limited field experience with the round. My Savage is a joy to shoot and very accurate with several different loads. Again, can't wait to try it on deer this fall. I just don't have the personal experience to feel confident for using it on elk or moose yet.

I don't know what powder you are using, but you can get more out of that round with a 26-inch barrel. You need to try some Reloder 26. I get 2745 easily with the 147 ELD-M, from my 24-inch barrel.

I have shot deer, elk and antelope for years with a 7 mag. I have always liked it, but now that I have a .260 and 6.5 Creed, the mags are sitting still. I have shot probably 40 deer and several antelope with my 6.5s, and they perform every bit as well as the 7 does on deer etc. I have not shot anything bigger with them, as I would still take my 7 mags-because I have them! However, I would definitely not feel under-gunned, if all I had to take after moose, bear, or whatever, was a Creed, or other 6.5. Based on what I have witnessed, the 6.5s kill much better than even their paper ballistics would indicate.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
sbhooper,

IMR4451 is another good powder. Am getting around 2750 with Sierra's top listed powder charge and the 143 ELD-X and 142 Nosler ABLR in a 22" barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
It's pretty good for guys who aren't compensating either.

ROR, nailed it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks MD.

I have a very limited experience of "once" with Accubonds. A 180 out of my .338-06 at modest .338 Fed velocity at about 40-50 yards. It acted more like a parachute on an average sized WT buck. No exit. Maybe the smaller caliber versions penetrate better.

Sorry for the thread drift! grin

Last edited by Teeder; 07/19/18.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sounds like your AccuBond was one of those made for a brief period, a year or two after they first appeared, when one Nosler employee tried to speed up his part of the assembly-line process. AccuBonds started selling so well, so fast that he apparently thought speeding-up would be a good thing, but all it did was create "AccuBombs," which not only didn't bond but were annealed by the heating process used in bonding, so were very soft.

Nosler caught the problem quickly during their testing of bullets both for accuracy and "test-media" performance, but some had already been shipped to distributors. They recalled as many as possible, but some had already been sold to customers.

I've been using AccuBonds since they were first introduced, and have not only killed plenty of game with 'em but seen plenty used by hunting companions as well. The big game has included both North American and African game from pronghorns and springbok to grizzly, elk, kudu, zebra and eland, with on-game performance similar to Partitions, the way Nosler designed AccuBonds to work. Somehow I missed the short "AccuBomb" period, but occasionally somebody still brings it up here.

At moderate velocities the AccuBond Long Range bullets perform very much like standard AccuBonds, the ones that act like Partitions. At higher muzzle velocities they lose a little more weight, especially at closer ranges, but still normally exit deer-sized game.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one held together well, but the mushroom was wide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was using the 129 grain Interlock in the .260 at 2700+ fps. It killed every deer I shot with it, but was opening a little fast for my preference. Though I understand dead deer is a measure of success, I wasn't getting many exits, and decided to try a tougher bullet. I tried the 129 Interbonds for the first time last fall. The wind was blowing hard and the mule deer buck (smaller rack, but good sized body) was close to a steep dropoff. Didn't want him to run, so held on the shoulder, and that deer DROPPED. The Interbond went through both shoulders, left an exit would about the size of a quarter or a little bigger, and I was impressed. Maybe on a lung shot it would be too tough, but time will tell. I suspect at Creedmoor velocities, similar to the .260, the Interbond would be tough enough for moose and bear.

Last edited by 300_savage; 07/19/18.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Teeder,

AccuBonds tend to open a little wider than Partitions, but not all that much. The last AB I recovered was the only one found inside a deer, if I recall correctly, and overall I've seen fewer than 20% stay inside any animal. The bullet was a 150 from a .308 Winchester, and the deer a Montana whitetail doe at around 70 yards, facing me almost directly. The bullet hit the inside of the left shoulder and was recovered from under the skin on the right ham, retaining 70.5% of its weight.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son shot a rag head bull twice with 123ge scenars out of a 6.5x55 last fall at 200 yards. First shot was through the shoulder and was under the hide on the off side. Second was behind the shoulder,destroyed the heart and exited the off shoulder. Great performance imo.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Killed 4 cow elk and one mature mulie buck, 200 - 500 yds with the 127 LRX running 2808 fps mv. Always a pass through. Never more than 50 yds traveled. 6.5x47!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.