Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I am wrapping up my Tikka T3X 300 Win Mag build (already have a Manners EH stock, and am having the barrel threaded for a brake), and am now trying to decide on a scope. I am down to two options that are very different from one another, and would love to get input from those of you that have used either or both. I will primarily be using the rifle for Western open country hunts, so will be reaching out to 500+ yards. The two scopes that I am considering are:

1. Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT - 4W Reticle
Pros:
-Lightweight - 15.9 oz
-Great glass
-Turret adjustment with zero stop and proven tracking/RTZ[s][/s]
-Higher top-end magnification

Cons:
-Probably not as robust as SHV
-Price - $1,133 shipped

2. Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 - MOAR Reticle
Pros:
-Very Robust design
-30mm tube, so can reach out farther using only the MOAR reticle
-Price - $785 shipped

Cons:
-Heavier - 20.8 oz
-Lower top-end magnification
-Turrets can be used to adjust for distance and windage, but without a zero stop holdover is more likely

Which do you think? Why?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a bunch of Swarovski Z-5 3.5-18X44 BT scopes and no Nightforce scopes. That’s not because Nightforce isn’t any god but Swarovski has never let me down. Ringman does have me looking at replacing all those Swarovski scopes with Bushnell, but until I do, I will suffer with Swarovski...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re going to be dialing, get the NF.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it comes down to weight and what you want to do with the rifle. I feel the Swaro is prob the best option out there right now for a lightweight scope with quality glass that also gives you the ability to dial custom turret. If you plan to keep it light and mobile then that's the way to go. If you want to sit back and dial repeatedly and shoot targets and rocks and things as well as work up multiple loads and things then prob go with NF. For hunting in the mountains where you might only take one shot then the Swaro is prob perfect. If you want to shoot a lot and dial a lot then I'd get the NF. I have both of these scopes. They are both very nice. Just different. My lighter guns wear the Swaro, my big kickers and heavier guns that I shoot a lot at targets and stuff have NF scopes. For a 300 win, I might opt for more magnification on the NF if you go that route.

Lee

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a friend who has traveled the world with a Swaro on his 300 RUM. Pretty sure its a Z5. He's never had to change zero. He's a fan to say the least. One data point... He did mention getting a Z6i for a new rifle. I like my NF SHV 3-10, but I don't have enough time with it to make any recommendation.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of those 2, I'd get the Swaro, for sure. That's a great reticle.

If I was really looking to do some serious dialing and using my scope to pound tent stakes, I'd move up to a NXS for not much more than the Swaro.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I own a couple z5s and they have been great for set and forget. Love the glass. However, my experience does not support your assumption that RTZ/Tracking is reliable. It’s better than the couple dozen Leupolds I’ve owned....but that’s not saying much. I would not go the the Z3, Z5 or Z6 route if you’re planning on dialing. For the same reason, the ballistic turret was a complete bust. Just my 0.02.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I own a couple z5s and they have been great for set and forget. Love the glass. However, my experience does not support your assumption that RTZ/Tracking is reliable. It’s better than the couple dozen Leupolds I’ve owned....but that’s not saying much. I would not go the the Z3, Z5 or Z6 route if you’re planning on dialing. For the same reason, the ballistic turret was a complete bust. Just my 0.02.

Same here with my z5. It worked for awhile and failed. Had it repaired and it failed within a year again.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

Same here with my z5. It worked for awhile and failed. Had it repaired and it failed within a year again.

You are like a cheap old record, 78 and cracked..

S
S
Have you considered the BRH reticle (or BRX if you have young eyes) instead of the custom turret?
It's Mil based, btw, with hash marks in 0.5 mil increments. Use your own ballistic software or the Swarovski App.

I have two Nightforce SHVs (both are 4-14x50 F1 Mil-R) as well as a NF NSX 2.5-10x32 (MOA). These are not on hunting rifles, but are used for mid to long range shooting, both dialing and reticle use. I would probably own a SHV 3-10 NF if it came in a Mil based reticle, but that's just me. (Not necessarily on a hunting rifle.)

I bought a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 (BRH Reticle, no dialing) a couple of weeks ago to replace an older VX3 3.5-10 on a Sako AV .338 WM. The rifle has been in the back of the gun safe for a good spell and the 30+ year old Leupold was found to be lacking (to my 69 year old eyes).

Limited use (about 50 rounds), but the Z3/BRH reticle has been working very well so far - while I've been doing load development and sight in at the same time. Yesterday (after remounting the scope), I used six rounds to re-zero at 200M, (219 Yds) The next three went on steel at 425 yards and measured 2 3/4 inches. This was 1.5 mils up on the reticle with my load and Zero.

The 3-10 SHV has 1 MOA hash marks (slightly more precise than 0.5 Mils), but no windage marks other than the primary crosshair.

The BRH reticle on my Z3 (and I also looked at a Z5 3-18/BRH) is very clean and does have very usable windage hash marks on the half Mil lines.

HTH,
Joe

Last edited by shootist87122; 07/18/18.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I’m going to compete in a demolition derby. Maserati or a M1 Abrams. 😉😎

Last edited by fredIII; 07/18/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ring, I think you may have “Munchausen Syndrome” for scopes...🤪😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

shrapnel,

What happened in your life? I don't remember you acting so immature in the past.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

shrapnel,

What happened in your life? I don't remember you acting so immature in the past.

The man has many Swarovski scopes and has never had issues, what do you expect him to say?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Ring, I think you may have “Munchausen Syndrome” for scopes...🤪😎

Nah, they are shipping the Swaro Test mule scopes to the Grants Pass area knowing he will run them thru the ringer.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by fredIII

Any recommendations for something between the Maserati and the M1?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

shrapnel,

Why don't you just send me your broken Swarovski scopes. Your memory is not all that good anyhow, you keep bringing up bad Swarovski scopes like a broken record.

I guess anyone under 100 years old would be immature compared to you...

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I also run Swaro scopes and am a big fan of the BRH reticle. I don't dial. The Z5 has always worked for me, as have my Z3's.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
Originally Posted by fredIII

Any recommendations for something between the Maserati and the M1?

SS

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Anton,

I have both of those scopes. The 3.5X18 Swaro is on a.300 win mag (custom 700). The NF is on a NULA .260 Rem. I like them both and have no problems whatsoever with either one. The .260 gets used a little more. I zero'd it 2 summers ago. It has been dropped bounced around in Vehicles, 4 wheelers and backpacked...held Zero perfectly. The Moar reticle gets me out to 1000 yards so I don't click this scope much. FWIW the clicks are very positive. My only complaint is the Moar reticle is very fine, which is great at the range but gets a little difficult to use at LR with a "brushy" background. The glass is very good....but not as "Wowy" as the Swarovoski.

The Swarovoski doesn't get shot quite as much as the .260 but it still gets regular use. Using the BT with a 200yd zero it gets to 650 yds with a 178 Barnes LR . It has always returned to zero and it has been clicked back and forth and as near as I can tell tracked perfectly. The glass is holy schit wow, and I like the clean reticle.

So both scopes have been excellent and no complaints...."you take Sally, I'll take Sue" thing

Lefty C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 70 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.