Print Thread
Hop To
E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Hats off to sea first,just got back from Montana,dusted lots of p.d.'s with 223 and 223 ackley,don't know why more guys don't use it, you just have to be very careful and weigh every charge, double check before seating bullet,my partner wen't through 500 rounds of bluedot loads in his 22-250,he swears by it.he also used it in his 223,and was very pleased, no recoil, you can shoot a long time before barrel gets hot.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I tried his Blue Dot loads in the .223 and I concur... Mule deer here gave me my favorite reduced load 12.5 grains of 4198 and a 55 gr. bullet.....performs like the Blue Dot loads, low recoil and doesn't heat up quickly...

Just worked up some other reduced loads for the .204,.222 and .223AI for night shooting varmints with fur I might want to save....

Last edited by ingwe; 07/15/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Does it matter if it's h4198 or imr? I only have the h4198...sometimes it does make a difference

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Does it matter if it's h4198 or imr? I only have the h4198...sometimes it does make a difference

H4198 is what is recommended ....Hodgdon site says to go to 60-65% of full load for reduced loads...seems to work!!

Ive got a few in between the 65% and 100% loads, obviously also reduced, and also good results...

FWIW Ive had pretty good luck on fur with heavier well constructed bullets moving a bit slower ( about 2600 fps seems to be the magic number...) on fur. Yes, they exit, but the exits are usually small. This winter I'll be trying some Speer Gold Dots slowed down....except on coyotes, they get the full treatment out of the 223AI... grin

Last edited by ingwe; 07/15/18.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hmmmmm smile

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

9/BD in 300 BLK too.......

125 Nozler boolit

really quiet around the house in my bolt Ruger

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There were some epic threads back in the day on this particular subject.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah there were. Lots of guys were positive Seafire was going to cause everyone to frag their rifles with Blue Dot (and on several forums besides this one). They'd had never looked at an older Lyman manual I guess.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
AWWW you wouldn't believe some of the PM's and emails old Seafire got 'back in the day'... especially from the naythesayers...

They cursed every thing from my mom, to my dog, to my kids to my wife and anything else they could think of...

I use to ask them, were they spouting this because they had had a problem or they were just spouting rhetoric?
Then I'd ask them had they actually tried it?

Seemed the answer from all the naythesayers was that they were too smart to try it... because they knew it would kill someone
soon, BECAUSE it wasn't published in some factory recognized reload manual....

all the criticism came from people who never tried it...

Got a lot of 'thank you" emails and PMs.. but certainly had to log onto here and AR, with my fire protection suit on, as I certainly did get flamed on a routine basis....

and yeah I still use it... in many cartridges.. especially the 223... I bet I've shot 40 to 50,000 rounds down range over the years.. and so far, still never had a blow up....

Glad all of those naythesayers were so much smarter than me....

as I figured out.. if you are a novice at the reload bench, or just don't know what you are doing.. don't try it....

if you do, it can really make a day shooting a lot of varmints a lot of fun without wearing out your rifles...or shoulder.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Addendum,

do a google search every so often on the subject....

even I am amazed at the number of people who have heard of my work on Blue Dot loads...from all over the USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand... from plenty of forums I have never been on or heard of....

yet you can find my data posted and copied on sites all over the internet...

did a search the other night on Seafire's Blue Dot loads...Google gave 55,000 hits....

Guess for an old guy originally from Nowhere Virginia, my handle certainly has made the rounds on the old WWW.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Dang, we’re in the presence of greatness! Can I have your autograph?😀

I bought a pound last week to give it a go.

Last edited by navlav8r; 07/20/18.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
UI have used them in everything from 222 to 338 Win Mag.Performed perzactly as Seafire said they would.

A friend had a young son deathly afraid of recoil.
I worked up a 30-30 load with 110 RB SP and BD.
She had him shoot some lover powered cast I made up to overcome his fear, then they got the rifle sighted in with the "full powered" loads.
One of those through the ribs and a small TN buck was converted to "victuals".

I worked up one load in the aught 6 and then started on 7.7X58 and the exact case capacity ratio was most accurate in both guns when the smoke cleared and the shootin was all done.
I thanked you back then and I will again, that works fine.

Yet another project left undone, 3/4s done, BUT not done.

Oh, and the naysayers . . . they are the same one's talking bad about anything else they have never touched/done!

Last edited by LouisB; 07/20/18.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Dang, we’re in the presence of greatness! Can I have your autograph?😀

I bought a pound last week to give it a go.

I do hope ya know that post you were responding to was sarcasm....

But autographs are available.. whistle

cheers and best regards!

E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Seafire, done a fair amount of playing around with bluedot powder, would like your thoughts on my opinion, seems to me blue dot works o.k. in the 221 fireball, and 6b.r.,but really comes into it's own with the 223,223 ackley and 22-250, I to have put thousands of rounds down range in over 100 degree weather without a problem, you just have to be extremely careful with it.in my 223 ackley i shot half of my p.d. rounds with bluedot half with 29 hrs.cfe-223, the blue dot worked so well next year it will be 90% bluedot,it worked so well.It would be a great experiment to have a new 22-250 (a noted barrel burner) shoot nothing but blue dot in it ,keep track of the number of rounds fired,bet a person would be amazed how long it would last,Im to old to do it the barrel would surely out-last me! You mentioned once you would like to try p.d. hunting, do it soon it's getting tougher every year to find good shooting where ranchers don't charge, it's crazy how it's changed in last 10 yrs, I called a big ranch near where i hunt ( been there 10 yrs.) owner said already had 8 hunters with 2 more flying in from Florida the next day.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Emery,

I've been hunting in Montana multiple times for prairie dogs... I have friends who live there who already have the contacts...

My rifles have wasted a lot of pDogs over there with Blue Dot down the barrel...we normally shoot on someone's property who owns 16 "sections".. guess a section is a square mile.

As far as Blue Dot on barrels... I've run several barrels that I still shoot that have around 10,000 Blue Dot rounds down the barrel..
and those are 223s...On rifle I traded off had 15,000 Blue Dot rounds down the barrel and was just then having groups open up a bit... I was offered $400, for a rifle I paid $300 for and had put those 15,000 rounds down the barrel... so I jumped on that one..

I ran a 22.250 I traded off also that lives with 10,000 rounds of 19 grains of Blue Dot and 50 and 55 grain bullets down the barrel...and it was still very accurate...I was just offered more than I had paid for it... so that one got traded off also...and replaced with another 22.250.....

Blue Dot kinda makes barrels last like a diesel engine lasts when compared to run of the mill traditional loads...

Normally each year I shoot around 6 to 8000 rounds down range at Sage Rats here in Oregon. Many of those are Blue Dot, SR 4759 and reduced 4198 loads....more than adequate out to 250 yds...I normally don't shoot further than that.. as there are plenty of targets from 50 to 250 yds anyway.. so why waste the ammo?

Thanks for the post..

cheers and best regards
john chr. / seafire

E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Seafire,very interesting info.kinda what I expected,I traded off a 22-250 rem. 788 years ago wish I had it back.I'll pass this info. on to my buddy who has the 22-250.Have you played around with blue-dot and the 204 ruger,also wonder if it might work with the vartarg? Have you also noticed how dog hunting has changed over the yrs.,the way I see it you have three factors working against
you, if the ranchers can afford it they use poison, dumb hunters who keep asking the ranchers how much they charge, after awhile the light bulb goes off and this year was poor compared to yrs. past, rumor was the plague was making the rounds,I've got a few yrs. left in me so my partner and I are gonna scout out some new areas around the Miles city area.And I still thank God Hillary didn't win the presidency
,,gotta get Kavanah on the Supreme Court,thanks for the info on bluedot,I just picked up 7 more pounds, that should put a few p,d.'s down

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How does BD do for firefroming? I have a 223AI, and a 6-250AI that I would love to quiet down during FF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mpwolf
How does BD do for firefroming? I have a 223AI, and a 6-250AI that I would love to quiet down during FF.

Not good.

Shoulders are sharp but the necks were always longer on one side. I could have trimmed it, but I figured if it was doing that, the brass was flowing more there and necks were less uniform.

Sample of one.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.