Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Good talk princess....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If shooting compounds w release, might find your trad DL to be longer.

Overbowed............

even if of lower #..............you might shoot too long and get fatigued, learn bad habits.

Smart practice should allow build up without corruption.

New bow, having fun, or getting frustrated.........it's easy to shoot too much.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/18/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
DL w wheels and release 28"
Wheels or trad fingers..........28.5"
Same stance for any......open.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I wish I had a Black Tail. You could not have made a better choice..... they shoot smooooooooooth,,,,, your going to enjoy it. they are not cheap, but worth it

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by sharp_things
Yes most that go from compound to trad dont understand the shorter draw length and the lesser pounds they will be able to pull. They have bows made only to regret being overbowed. If Ive seen it once, Ive seen it a hundred times. Pride keeps them from correcting their mistake and they develop bad habits, they get frustrated and give up. Its a consistent track for guys that wont listen to people who have been at this for many decades.

Or maybe they shot real good with more weight when they were younger,maybe even good enough to win some State competitions,but after a few years they need to drop some draw weight, Just saying.

I do agree that any new trad shooter should start real light,45 lbs about max,with 35-40 even better.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I used to hunt with a 60 at 28 Howatt Hunter. I was shooting full length 2117 XX75s drawing close to 32". The bow was tough to draw until I practiced for a couple of months, I would go out and shoot 6 or 8 arrows every time I thought about it. several times a day. Bought one of those Bowfit rubber band things and used it at work every night when I couldn't shoot. 60 is definitely doable you just have to work up your muscles and use proper technique. By the way that is going to be a beautiful bow.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I used to hunt with a 60 at 28 Howatt Hunter. I was shooting full length 2117 XX75s drawing close to 32". The bow was tough to draw until I practiced for a couple of months, I would go out and shoot 6 or 8 arrows every time I thought about it. several times a day. Bought one of those Bowfit rubber band things and used it at work every night when I couldn't shoot. 60 is definitely doable you just have to work up your muscles and use proper technique. By the way that is going to be a beautiful bow.

It is really a nice bow. I'm glad it wasn't purple heart and Osage. Boy,I've seen some guys pick some crap combinations. I think even beginning bowyers should tell clients hat looks good and what won't,even if it's what they really want.

You sure hit the nail on the head about PROPER TECHNIQUE, though I think it's most often referred to as form. That's the problem with a heavy bow. You will get tired and sloppy and likely develop bad habits that will be a lot harder to cure later. It really is a lot like shooting a rifle. A beginning archer doesn't need 60 lbs,anymore than a beginning shooter needs to start with a 300 win mag. You start off on a 22 and get your form down,then you gradually build up to whatever is the best for your game that you can shoot without getting sloppy in your form.

They say Howard Hill shot over 100 lbs routinely. He wasn't a huge man either,but he had shot endless hours for years building up to those weights. It's a different set of muscles that will grow, just don't start out too heavy and handicap yourself. I'm a big buy 6'3 slightly slouching,and 270 of not all fat. When I started getting serious about learning to shoot well,I started with a real cheap 40 lb bow and it was all I needed to hold while trying to get everything right. At this same time I hunted with a 85 lb compound,and had previously owned a 60 lb recurve bow that I had thought was light enough until, I started being taught by guys who had won national matches.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/19/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

It is really a nice bow. I'm glad it wasn't purple heart and Osage. Boy,I've seen some guys pick some crap combinations. I think even beginning bowyers should tell clients hat looks good and what won't,even if it's what they really want.

You sure hit the nail on the head about PROPER TECHNIQUE, though I think it's most often referred to as form. That's the problem with a heavy bow. You will get tired and sloppy and likely develop bad habits that will be a lot harder to cure later. It really is a lot like shooting a rifle. A beginning archer doesn't need 60 lbs,anymore than a beginning shooter needs to start with a 300 win mag. You start off on a 22 and get your form down,then you gradually build up to whatever is the best for your game that you can shoot without getting sloppy in your form.

They say Howard Hill shot over 100 lbs routinely. He wasn't a huge man either,but he had shot endless hours for years building up to those weights. It's a different set of muscles that will grow, just don't start out too heavy and handicap yourself. I'm a big buy 6'3 slightly slouching,and 270 of not all fat. When I started getting serious about learning to shoot well,I started with a real cheap 40 lb bow and it was all I needed to hold while trying to get everything right. At this same time I hunted with a 85 lb compound,and had previously owned a 60 lb recurve bow that I had thought was light enough until, I started being taught by guys who had won national matches.

+1, the sooner you realize that shooting consistently has more to do with finesse than brute strength, the sooner you will become a competent barebow shot.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My weight progression (or regression)......

Back in the old days & my last compound, I was shooting a Hoyt Pro Vantage with 50% let off set at 82 pounds with 2512's.

So based on that, my first custom recurve I bought had 68# limbs, and found it was too much. So I had a set of 62# limbs made for it. Once I settled into my shooting style, I used the 68's for elk hunting, and saved the 62's for deer at home in the cold. Soon there after, I had him build me another riser, so I could have two bows ready to go, and/or a backup for out of state hunts.

After several years, I sold both of those, and I ordered a new one to my specs, and specified it at 58#.

Fast forward several years, and I took it in to have it refinished, and asked him to drop the weight while he was at it. The weight is now at 54#.

My original longbow he had built for me was at 57#, and was OK, but when I had him build me a new one, I ordered around 50#, it came in at 52# which is just about right for me these days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, as many are agreeing, I think the OP is in for a shock and will be ordering lower weight limbs. (we will never hear that part of the story though) Of he will stick with 60#, be overbowed and develop bad habits and give up (as I predicted in an earlier post). He will chicken neck trying to bring his face to the string instead of developing proper form.

Pride goes before the fall.

He will protest this.

I wont care. Ive seen it repeat itself over and over and over and over by all manner of guys that thought they knew what they were doing when they desired to dabble in trad.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
IC B3

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sharp_things
Yes, as many are agreeing, I think the OP is in for a shock and will be ordering lower weight limbs. (we will never hear that part of the story though) Of he will stick with 60#, be overbowed and develop bad habits and give up (as I predicted in an earlier post). He will chicken neck trying to bring his face to the string instead of developing proper form.

Pride goes before the fall.

He will protest this.

I wont care. Ive seen it repeat itself over and over and over and over by all manner of guys that thought they knew what they were doing when they desired to dabble in trad.

Shart things, I guess this thread is to show a new custom recurve in its stages of being built, at no point have I asked for advice. Ol man got me my first recurve at age 8, I killed a woodpecker with it a couple days later... I've shot trad off n on for 35 years now, but just recently the fire really got rekindled...

So, if I were you, I'd be a little more concerned with that turkey gobbler restricting your breathing than worried about me driving arrows through the highly elusive Columbian blacktail and Roosevelt elk...... Hint

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just order the lighter set of limbs now and save some time.

Hint.

You're welcome.

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/20/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Not all men are created equal, obviously..... I'm sorry your ol man raised a puzzy.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
If I order anything, they will be 80lb limbs, if only because I can... Good talk softy

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sure................. If Ive heard that BS once I've heard it 100 times. (even from accomplished bowhunters that wanted to try trad) . But you will of course be different. You are special. Everybody is a tough guy in the inter web.

Pride and ignorance go before the fall. wink

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m who I am 24/7/365 sweet chucks..... as stated, worry about yourself, no one asked for advice, just feel fortunate to being kept privy to watching a amazing piece of art being built, that is gonna to kill something other than farm animals... savvy?

Oh, the 80lbers are already ordered!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Judman
I’m who I am 24/7/365 sweet chucks..... as stated, worry about yourself, no one asked for advice, just feel fortunate to being kept privy to watching a amazing piece of art being built, that is gonna to kill something other than farm animals... savvy?

Oh, the 80lbers are already ordered!!! Haha

You are again mistaken speed racer. I offered a prediction and a warning. You took it as advice (you need lots of that). It is a work of art that he is making. Ive never had somebody make a trad bow for me. I make my own. wink

Hint

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Post em up!! Along with some kill photos with said bows....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most recent kill was my 2016 Black bear with a bow I made and arrows I made using feathers from turkey I killed and Homemade broadheads I made from 7 1/4" circular saw blades and the finger tab I made from an old boot upper. The bow is a 48 Pound reflex/deflex I designed.

I won the hunt at a banquet. Ive never used a bear guide for any of my other bear. Ive taken 5 with a bow so far. (Never killed a bear with a gun and don't have the desire to) On the drive home I killed a 2nd smaller bear with my truck so I took that one home as well.

[Linked Image]

I self filmed the hunt. 20 heard heart shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they do not let you take pics in zoo culls

Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.