Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have not hunted waterfowl in some years, but was living in one of the first steel shot areas ever required way back when., (SE Texas)

I am planning a trip to upstate NY this October for a partridge/black duck hunt and was thinking of using bismuth so as not to run afoul of lead shot in possession scenario at my remote campsite. Any shot size or load suggestions? 12 ga, 2 3/4 inch is my wheelhouse, Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 1 oz of #5 for hunting ducks out of my 2 1/2" 12ga out here on the coast works just fine over decoys. I use the same load for pheasants on non-tox areas, works just fine.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is your gun, an older Winchester?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What difference does it make? It appears he doesn't want to shoot steel, the most cost effective and works just fine for decoying ducks and pats a forest ranges. So we have to assume that he needs soft non-toxics, sxs, older o/u or older pump/semi-auto.

If it is a modern gun is steel safe he would be asking about steel or steel alternatives such as Heavy-13, or TSS or a plethora of other hard non-toxics.

Last edited by erich; 07/21/18.

Make mine a Minaska

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've used an ounce of #7 and #6 bismuth for grouse with good results. For ducks it was an ounce and a quarter of #4 I found to be perfect for all but distant pass shooting. For that 1 3/8- 1 5/8 oz of #2 worked well.

IC B2

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by erich
What difference does it make? It appears he doesn't want to shoot steel, the most cost effective and works just fine for decoying ducks and pats a forest ranges. So we have to assume that he needs soft non-toxics, sxs, older o/u or older pump/semi-auto.

If it is a modern gun is steel safe he would be asking about steel or steel alternatives such as Heavy-13, or TSS or a plethora of other hard non-toxics.

No,I meant, what is your gun, erich, that it uses 2 1/2 inch rounds? But your guess is right, I have an older 12 ga 870 and don't want to use steel..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite waterfowl shotgun is an older Husqvarna 51.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And I do get out with an old Manufrance Robust

[Linked Image]

Now that I'm moving away from the coastal salt marshes I have a couple of little 16ga sxs in 2.5" that will see time in the marsh but I use 3/4 oz of ITX 6's in them. I do use the ITX 6's at 7/8 oz in the 12's also.

Last edited by erich; 07/23/18.

Make mine a Minaska

kid0917 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
those are cools SxS guns. What are the drop at heel measurements? any cast on them?

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sure, Bismuth will work. I would pick Tungsten Matrix though if you want to go non tox - it's denser than bismuth and should be safe for what you want to shoot. A 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz #5 load would be deadly on the ducks but maybe bit overkill on the pats.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Does the tungsten matrix kill better than the bismuth? I had used some of the bismuth a number of years ago and would like to take a older, full choke M37 out duck hunting this season

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run Bismuth for waterfowl in my muzzle loaders and vintage cartridge guns with black powder and in my modern hammer 12 with brass cases and Blue Dot.
Great to get the old and replica guns shooting in the fall! ">)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/27/19.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been using Bismuth #2's for nigh onto 15 years here in Maryland. 1 1/8oz., 1200fps- knocks geese ass-over-tailfeathers. Main gun- LC Smith Longrange, 32" full and fuller. Over dekes or pass shooting, but I do have an advantage in that geese are so plentiful (up until now) that we can pick and choose our shots. Still, that little bitty 1 1/8oz. shot charge more than holds its own with the guys shooting their fancy 3" autoloaders and massive loads of steel. The secret is the dense patterns from those tightly choked barrels, and the ability to put the shot right where it needs to go. Heck we have two guys in our club on the Eastern Shore who use nothing but 20's and 28's + bismuth and they are a couple of killer dillers too.

Take some loads of that nature to NY for waterfowl, and some 7/8-1oz.loads of 7 1/2's for grouse and go with confidence.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For what it is worth, I would far rather bite into a bismuth pellet than steel or the harder Tungsten matrix shot. Crowns are expensive.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been using Bismuth #2's for nigh onto 15 years here in Maryland. 1 1/8oz., 1200fps- knocks geese ass-over-tailfeathers. Main gun- LC Smith Longrange, 32" full and fuller. Over dekes or pass shooting, but I do have an advantage in that geese are so plentiful (up until now) that we can pick and choose our shots. Still, that little bitty 1 1/8oz. shot charge more than holds its own with the guys shooting their fancy 3" autoloaders and massive loads of steel. The secret is the dense patterns from those tightly choked barrels, and the ability to put the shot right where it needs to go. Heck we have two guys in our club on the Eastern Shore who use nothing but 20's and 28's + bismuth and they are a couple of killer dillers too.

Take some loads of that nature to NY for waterfowl, and some 7/8-1oz.loads of 7 1/2's for grouse and go with confidence.

What hull, Powder, primer and wad for your 1/8 oz 1200 FPS load. I have heard longshot works well while years ago when were able to load lead for waterfowl used Blue Dot and Ballistics Products over powder wad and BPS wad split 2 petals.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BC3
Sure, Bismuth will work. I would pick Tungsten Matrix though if you want to go non tox - it's denser than bismuth and should be safe for what you want to shoot. A 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz #5 load would be deadly on the ducks but maybe bit overkill on the pats.

And cost even more!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by outahere
For what it is worth, I would far rather bite into a bismuth pellet than steel or the harder Tungsten matrix shot. Crowns are expensive.

Yep!

I have been shooting Bismuth in gauges from 28 to 10 since the late 1990s, and have never been able to tell any difference in "killing power" from lead shot, when using the same size and shot charge. This may be because while Bismuth is a little lighter that lead, the same shot-charge holds more pellets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have been using Bismuth since it hit the market. I will never go back to steel of any kind.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I still have a bunch packed away in ammo cans. It was the only thing I could find in #6. I also have a bunch of the Kent tungsten polymer. Great stuff that I could shoot out of the Ithaca 37 that I had at the time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.