Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
What we call a gopher is blind and makes a mound of dirt. No hole in the mound to enter or exit.

We call that a mole is these parts, just as you describe but with huge paws for digging.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never saw these until I moved to Minnesota from Ohio. The ones up here have horizontal stripes running the lengh of their bodies. Someone told me they're actually "7 striped ground squirrels"? They're just gophers to me and make great targets for the .22 or the pellet guns.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bases on thread title, I thought this was a movie review for the movie "Caddy shack".

Last edited by Lennie; 07/20/18.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please do NOT let this guy get anywhere near Crane OR. or certain parts of southern ID. With his expertise and all time on his hands, he could be capable of wiping out whole populations of rats in these areas given enough time and enough string.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Here you go Paul.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

What us Michiganders call a chipmunk or gopher.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1234mag - in these parts that is a 13 striper squirrel. Fairly easy to shoot be cause they come out and scoot around. Fairly predictable Pretty much the same with the 2 striper type we call Chipmunks.

Our gophers are pocket gophers. They stay underground in tunnels and only come just to the surface to push up those mounds - dirt from their tunnel excavation. Only once in 19 years have I been able to shoot one - was walking toward the shooting table with a .22lR in hand and one of the pesky devils came up in the hole to push some dirt - almost underfoot. Our control consists mostly of consistent trapping (starting early in Spring) and dropping poisoned pellets into high-traffic tunnels.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Here you go Paul.
This guy is dealing with a true gopher, not ground squirrels.
However, it really doesn't matter what you call them locally. The squirrels by any name are still good targets and the gophers by any name are still miserable pests.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion between gophers, ground squirrels, and chipmunks.

smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion between gophers, ground squirrels, and chipmunks. smile
I think you are correct. Lots of local naming of troublesome little rodents.

I just came in from running the tunnel traps - only had three set (six traps - maybe seven if a complicated tunnel deal) and got two gophers - needed to re-set one spot. 66% overnight is not bad. These are truly pocket gophers according to every found web definition/photo/drawing. I simply detest their damage.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Oldman03
What we call a gopher is blind and makes a mound of dirt. No hole in the mound to enter or exit.

We call that a mole is these parts, just as you describe but with huge paws for digging.

Naw, two different animals. At least what we call a gopher (salamander is local term) and a mole are different. Like you said, Mole has big front feet for digging, blind, and down here the tunnel is pushed up soil, along the top of the ground. You can see the pushed up tunnel several feet along the top of the ground.

The gopher makes a mound of dirt here and then over there.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

This is what we have and call them striped gophers. Early spring you can drive around all day and pick them off with a .22. We also have have pocket gophers. I trapped hundreds of them as a kid and sold their front claws to the township. It was always interesting to see what you would find in their cheek pockets. Mostly grasses and seeds but sometimes you would find coins and other "people" stuff.

The one in the video looks like what we call a Flicker tail around here.

Last edited by Rooster7; 07/22/18.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.